1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Very right Roy bhai.

The only way by which we can minimise turbo lag and still have plenty of top end power is to do what the big guns of automotive world are doing - Sequential Turbos. One smaller and another larger turbo.

The new BMW M5 uses a sequential twin turbo and pumps out, hold your breath, 650Nm at just 1500rpm!

That is the power of engineering.

And a mercedes V12 twin turbo petrol pumps out 1000nm at 2000rpm. Big petrols can surely be as torquey as big diesels.

Gurjinder.
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Sequential turbos! Ahem, ahem! I would live for the day to own a car with them. Amen!
  3. kapoor saab
    what if vento came with that golf engine which has both??
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Guru in that case how does a small 1 ltr engine brings in so much torque. I am referring to the 1 ltr engine for Chey Beat.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Cinju, assuming the rumored specs of the Beat D are true , it's not that difficult to extract 150Nm from a ~1l turbo diesel.

What is difficult is getting it to perform well at all rev ranges.

I'm speculating here , but this engine is going to be a strictly city engine. It'll be happier at low revs, but will run out of breath after 2500 revs.

That is the moot point. It's easy to get an engine to perform well at either low or high rpm range. But what is difficult is to get performance throughout the rev range. ;)
  6. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    Completed all the levels!!
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    The science of fanboyism

Most of us are accused of or been at the receiving end of fanboyism. Here is an interesting article on that subject.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    In GP manual the two petrol models are mentioned as 1.2 MPI 8V and 1.4 PDA 16V. What is the difference betwen MPI and PDA engines?
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Good you brought it up. It led me to read up on some interesting things.

The difference is in the intake.

PDA is Port DeActivation.

Have a further read :
    Link

This is a pretty hi-tech engine in its own right. Though FIAT left out VVT for this engine, obviously for cost reasons. It's found in other markets on the same engine.

Gurjinder.