1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I don't know the current situation, But at least 2 years back there weren't too many Hyundai's in the UK. The roads are usually filled with Vauxhall(GM), Ford, Citroen and likes. In fact I had tough time to spot a Fiat - may be because of the location I was put up. But what I'm hearing now is that Hyundai is making steady progress against the Europeans.
    1 person likes this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    One thing is that they are trying ti incorporate some European design elements in the car. Compared to micra and swift i20 looks better.
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai

AFAIK automation leads to errors. I would say strict quality control process needs to be in place to check that no lemon reaches customers rather than automation. Thats why most of the exotics are built by hand which includes bentley,rolls and the likes

I was watching Mercedes SLS making on NAT GEO yesterday. Even the engine is built by hand. One engine perday. Fixing the pistons,crank etc by hand. No automation.

I was wondering as FIATs sell only around 1000 cars a year even they can build around 6 cars a day with ultimate perfection just like exotics. Whereas Marutis and Hyundais will have a long waiting list and the pressure to churn out more cars in a given time frame which might result in some compromise on quality.
    Above is totally my view. please correct me If I'm wrong.

the other day I was having a chat with a close friend of mine who works for a company which makes piston rings and supplies it for various car and bike manufacturers in India. He said that they have received an order from FIAT to make piston rings and have never seen such a complicated design for piston ring for any other engine they produce it for :D
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I watched the same episode yday and thought of the same thing that you did.
    But building anything by hand would make it more expensive and hence the cost factor...
    But then again the sls comes under the category of exotics so the price is justified unlike our puntos.. (Although some day i wish fiat comes up with something like that)
    1 person likes this.
  5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    I definitely knew many of the TFIians would have been watching that show :)
    I was just trying to justify manual process is better than automation.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is true about Hyundai and also this is what I have like about Hyundai. They are not compromising on the quality and India is also not a dump yard for them like other manufacturers treat. What ever Hyundai is selling here is also sold across the world. They indeed export the cars from Chennai to Europe. And still India get the same quality of cars that is being exported. In this regard, I appreciate Hyundai.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Doesn't FIRE - Fully Integrated Robotised Engine, mean higher automation? At least that's what was told to us during our last Factory visit.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    He was actually asking about the extent of automation in building a complete car. Not only the Engine.
  9. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    KASAB is dead.. I wonder what he might be doing in hell :chair:
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Just watched the news. Good to know that law has taken its course. While he completely deserves to get the highest possible punishment as per law, personally I am against the capital punishment.