1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

This Bertone Concept Was Turned Into The Fiat X 1/9

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by Herbie, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

This Bertone Concept Was Turned Into The Fiat X 1/9

k-bigpic.jpg

<header class="mtn mbs">This Bertone Concept Was Turned Into The Fiat X 1/9

</header>Fiat's Giugiaro-designed 850 Spider was a strong seller, but also getting pretty old by 1968, so Bertone was commissioned to come up with a new barchetta. The following X1/9 was produced for 17 years.
    It the late sixties, Fiat was experimenting with a front-wheel drive platform using the Autobianchi brand. So Bertone took the drive train of the Autobianchi Primula with Fiat's brand new engine (designed by Aurelio Lampredi, who came straight from Ferrari) from the 128, designed a sleek open-top body for it, and the Autobianchi A112 Runabout was born.

original1.jpg

Introduced at the 1969 Turin Auto Show next to the Fiat X1/1 (128) and the Autobianchi A112, the Runabout was such a hit that Fiat decided to turn it into a production model. The X1/9 was launched in 1972, and even after Fiat got fed up with it in 1982, Bertone kept on building them until 1989. I want one badly.

original.jpg

Photo credit: Georg Schwalbach and Holger Baschleben

SOURCE : This Bertone Concept Was Turned Into The Fiat X 1/9
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. gurus

gurus Amatore

BLR/AZ
    cool, loved that matching toy car as well :)

OT: Herbie, you seems to be crazy about every Fiat news. great findings :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

Thanks! I was not exactly a fiat fanboy, but yes i did fall in love with FIAT and it only increased with the passage of time. Somewhere down the line I want our news section to be a library of articles/news/facts basically everything FIAT, wherein any body looking for the same should find.

You might note that i have provided the "source" link at the end of each article., a lot of time these links may no longer exist/work but still the article is captured here on Team FIAT (TFI) for future visitors to consume! I want it to be a one point source of news flow regarding FIAT facts/articles etc. on an Indian forum. People looking for research/facts about FIAT should scan this library of ours which they might not find on other popular Indian auto forums.(in a one point source section)

We(TFI members) would eventually feel proud if people looking out for such facts on other Indian forums are recommended by their members to browse this section on our site!

:!: : I don't know till when i can keep holding the flame but surely would contribute my 2 cents whenever possible!

Cheers
    Herbie!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Gaurav Chakraborty

Gaurav Chakraborty Amatore

New Delhi