1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thick Black Soot from Exhaust

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by askariah, Jun 6, 2013.

1. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    How the service centre is telling tht its kerosene mixed with diesel and not coconut oil
  2. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
    Having been a Mechanical Engineer and handled a large number of industrial diesel engines:

Black Smoke : This indicates that the fuel-air ratio is too rich. i.e There is too much fuel and the combustion chamber is not able to burn it all.
    No.1 reason is most cases is - Reduce air intake - meaning clogged air filters, leaking air intake etc. Next - wrong timing is the likely culprit.

It is normal to have some black smoke come out of the exhaust in case of sudden acceleration or when cold, but as has been mentioned in the post - the Diesel engines in India are 'conditioned' to handle adulterated fuel which is almost 100% prevalent (Given the cost margin given by oil companies to petrol pumps- unless they do some 'golmaal' there is no way they can survive). What I mean to say is that in spite of everything - you should NOT have a trace of exhaust on a well maintained engine running on warm condition even with what fuel we get in the pumps.

Coming to the solution-
    It could be that the last fill was highly adulterated - even by Indian standards! - Drive on till almost empty - fill up in another bunk and you may see the difference soon. Ideally it is good to have your fuel tank drained / cleaned before the refill if you can afford the time / cost.
    Next step is to check the air intake filters and get them cleaned by yourself. If they look dirty - certainly they are the culprit.
    If all this fails you definitely need to get your engine / ECU tuned - which can only be done in the workshop.

All the best
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    LOL.. Police complaint?

Police authority doesn,t hold any power to take action
    under Essential Commodities Act unless & until proof of adulteration.

The rules & regulation of oil companies about adulteration are in favour of PDS system

We can't prove adulteration.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Its a mafia and even officials of Petroleum companies is also involved.
  5. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even I am facing the same issue with my car lately & didn't give it a damn, but now it seems I will have to follow the steps suggested by fellow members.
    Hope cleaning the air filter and lines plus visiting shell outlets helps!
  6. askariah

askariah

Bangalore
    Updates: Sorry I could not post the updates as things got a bit hectic.
    Update 1: After the IOCL officer collected samples from all the diesel tanks, and sent it for testing, got the results in my inbox from the lab. No surprises - it was found and I went back to my normal life cussing the unholy nexus between the petroleum companies and dealers.
    Update 2: My car started showing the same problem again after a while and this time I was more or less sure about the quality of diesel that had gone in. I realized it might have been a wrong decision on my part to have taken it to Adya service and went to KHT this time. Guess what they found? A torn turbo tube - the root cause and problem solved (by the look of things now). To sum it up, Adyaa service folks had the tank cleaned (around 15 litres of fuel wasted), had me pay for a new fuel filter (around 2000 INR) and caused to lose so much time & effort (the complaint process against the fuel dealer)
    Do I love driving my FIAT - yes!!! Did I know the ASS were not upto the mark before I bought - I was warned, really! But I was unaware of the magnitude of incompetency!
    1 person likes this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Did you not feel any loss of power or pickup, ever?

Black smoke and power loss=leak in the turbo system, most probably the hoses, its a giveaway. :)

In most cases, customer input is vital in solving the issue or atleast zeroing in, on the issue. But some don't listen. No surprise that Aadya blamed the fuel first.
  8. askariah

askariah

Bangalore
    I did feel it to a small extent and had conveyed the same also. Now my daily commute is around 8KM (round trip) and mostly bumper to bumper traffic (Kammanahalli to Nagawara) and may be that kind of limited the opportunities for good acceleration when you would realize power loss. But the thing is even before I took the car to Aadya, I had read about the turbo leak related discussions and that is precisely why I took the car to Aadya as it is closest to my office. In fact that is what they were supposed to look for and claimed that they did!
  9. Incompetence,yes i dont trust them any more. It would have been better if FIAT had trained me in thier ASS for few months before they let me buy their car.

Jokes apart,get your engine oil changed as it might have sucked in unfiltered air.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013