1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thick Black Soot from Exhaust

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by askariah, Jun 6, 2013.

1. askariah

askariah

Bangalore
    A colleague of mine notified that thick black soot coming out of my recently purchased punto (1500KM done)
    Took it to the Aadya- FIAT exclusive service center fearing a turbo leak.
    The service manager Masood calls and tells me with his diagnosis that it's because of adulterated fuel in the tank (he claims 80% kerosene). I am not sure about his claim as I had filled fuel twice last time from the IOCL pump right outside Manyatha tech park.
    Also he offered to clean the fuel tank, fuel lines and replace the fuel filter which will cost me 4000Rs:eek: His point is that as it is caused by external agent, it won't be covered under warranty. Seriously, for a car done 1500KM and one for which all the fuel fillings have been done from big IOCL pumps? Any suggestions on what I should do? I need help, please:anyone:sadblue:sadblue
  2. aks_karthik

aks_karthik Novizio

Chennai
    If it happened only at heavy acceleration, then it's very normal. Otherwise you have to check by filling fuel from some other outlets.
    Try some Fuel addictives for next 2-3 fills. But it's not recommeneded for the relatively new car.
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Diesel engine give out smoke on heavy acceleration in wrong lower gears. If it is the case then not to worry else take some fuel out of your car and make a quality check by some means. If it is really adulterated fuel then I guess you need to go as the SA told you to.
  4. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    Request the Service Center to give a diagnostic and file a Police Complaint against the Petrol Pump
  5. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Get the tank cleaned etc, kerosene has lower ignition point than diesel and may lead to issues.

For next few refills try shell outlets and keep the bills and if the issue doesnt subside, talk to Fiat service center on next steps. Keep us posted.
  6. Hi askariah,did you know that the cars/engines we get here are detuned because of the low quality fuel that we get.Hence the tolerance for kerosene is quite high for your MJD.Just fill the tank from Shell or any other better known bunks,drive around and the system will automatically normalize.
  7. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    + 1
    Yes, Dont sit back, take a litre of fuel from the suspected fuel station and get it tested by third party, report it directly to IOC.(take a written statement of cause from Fiat ASS guys as well)

^
    ^
    ^
    ONE WORD - NOT RECOMMENDED.

------------------------------------------------------------
    I think you can request a quality check as per IOC guidelines at the pump itself (they usually put up these instructional posters).... report it to IOC if the test fails.
    Keep us posted!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Firstly, can you post a video of the smoke? We shouldn't be doing something that is not necessary.

Diesel engines give out soot and it is very obvious with cars with a chrome exhaust tip. Daily deposits of soot would be there.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  9. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

I think if Fiat ASS says so then it is very much a questionable role of the fuel outlet in discussion, If not then the FIAT ASS in discussion has lot to answer in terms of giving false positives to the customer! (besides maligning someone else!)
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi
    Take your sample of fuel as well as the claim --- 80% of kerosene doesn't seem to be true
    As well another sample from same petrol pump

Get both tested and also get in written from service center