1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thermostat body change for Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by me_at_fiat, Apr 14, 2015.

1. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    My 2009 Punto had developed a small leak near the thermostat body. It was leaking a coolant in small drops. I was fortunate that i spotted it on time. I had a 2k kms trip planned to Mangalore, so didnt wanted to take any risk. Hence I visited Pandit on Friday to get it checked/fixed. fter initial observations we decided to fix it and all it needed was to replace the existing thermostat body which was doing it's duty since 2009 and for 85K kms.

- Walked in to FASS around 3.30 pm and by 6.00 Pm car was fixed and properly washed.

- Total damage INR 3500/-

- Work done included thermostat body change, so coolant needs to be drained out and hence might need top up afterwords. My Punto took 1 ltr extra coolant.

After that drove my car for 20 odd kms and pulled her out of parking on Wednesday and started my Pune - Mangalore trip. Drove till Kolhapur and decided to take a halt for night in Kolhapur. When I was about to start in the next day morning(8.00am) I causally thought of a checking an engine bay. I opened the bonnet and to my horror the coolant level was almost at the bottom.:nailbiting::nailbiting: I got really scared and thanked God for keeping my car up and running till Kolhapur. Though car never crossed half mark temp gauge, I was getting little worried. Checked the parking area and couldn’t find anything on the ground. So, i was sure that there was no leak, but still I wanted to be 100% sure. Checked the engine bay again and again at all possible angles but couldn’t spot any leak. By that time got in touch with ROCKING pune TFI group for possible FASS options and help and everyone jumped in to it. TFIANS sent me FASS address, service centre contact details, contact details of Kolhapur TFI member. THANKS A TON guys!! You are the best!!!:spiderman::spiderman::spiderman:

I quickly topped up the coolant with water. It took almost 500ml adjusted the level between MIN and MAX mark. Then cranked the car and kept her on idle for 10+ mins and started waiting for temp needle to reach till half mark. The moment it touched half mark in some time Fan kicked in and started working. So, thought that everything seems to be correct and I don’t need to bother much. Hence, decided to conti with my journey and skip the FASS. In the mean while TFIANS were continuously helping me out on Whatsapp and I also started receiving calls. Once i started from Kolhapur after certain distance say 20odd kms i kept checking the coolant levels. Observed it for almost 5-6 times in 100kms stretch and fortunately it didn’t drop. Yupiiii i was so relieved and once again started enjoying my journey. So, it was a first long drive after coolant change because of which Coolant got adjusted in the system and hence needed a topup. Finally, Punto completed 1800kms trip without any hiccups and enjoyed my trip to the max.

I am sharing few snaps of thermostat body change and FE figures.

Damaged Thermostat body:-
    IMG_20150331_170634.jpg IMG_20150331_171951.jpg IMG_20150413_194918.jpg IMG_20150413_205856.jpg IMG_20150413_205914.jpg
    So all in all keeping checking you engine bay and never ignore even a smallest leak, it could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Prevention is better than cure.:D
    sdp1975 and rishike007 like this.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had similar experience recently when my car coolant was drained out for fixing a leak. Mechanics in the service center don't follow proper bleeding procedure to get rid of the air pockets in the coolant circuit (which is VERY BAD practice). Because of that air is trapped in the system. Trapped air escapes after the coolant circulates for some time. Coolant level drops when that happens. I am pretty far away from service station. Therefore I had to order coolant from 99rpm.com for topping up. I ordered 1 liter extra coolant and kept it in the boot for such emergencies.
  3. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Yes correct. Though Pandit guys did a good work, but it's just because they didn't finished it perfectly I was actually pissed off. It could have turned fatal if i wouldn't have bothered to check the coolant level. They should have at least informed me that i should check it after a long run and keep a spare coolant with me. Imagine if i would have continued for 1800 kms without coolant. :muted::muted:

May be this is where FIAT still needs to improve.