1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Wiper Thread

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Cinju, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Though we had different threads where we discussed about the issues with punto wiper blades, we never had any thread where we discussed "What are the other options other than OEM wiper blades".

Well my hunt for wiper blades started with the onset of monsoon in Kerala. For me night driving during rain was becoming horrible. The streaks & smears due to improper wiping accompanied with the high beam light of oncoming traffic was almost blinding me. This was the time I thought Ok it is now time to get my wiper blades replaced. But something was holding me back from buying OEM wiper blades. I have read in the forum where people are not that satisfied with the replacement blades (not all , but some users) & that some were suggesting to rub the blade a bit to smoothen its movement. This lead me to check for after market blades.I took off the wiper blade from my car & visited all the Bosch dealers in Trivandrum asking for a replacement blade. But all of them were telling that this particular clip type model is not available with them. One was teling that Bosch doesnt have blade for punto. But what I understood was even the OEM blades are of Bosch make. Confused :confused: . This was when something struck my mind. Our fellow Tfian Nimish had replaced his wiper blades with Sparco & he was saying excellent reviews about the blades. Though on the costlier side, even I thought of giving it a try.

The OEM blade size is 26 " for the longer & 15 " for the shorter blade. But with Sparco, they dont have this 26 ". So the only option was to go for 24 " longer & 16" shorter blade combination . The main benefit of Sparco blades are it comes with 5 different types of Universal adaptors which they claim will fit on 98 % of the cars worldwide.So the blades were ordered & I got it replaced. Now it was time for a quick trial run. I started my car & pressed the wiper stalk towards me . I could see water being sprayed from the nozzle to the windscreen & there it goes, the first wipe of the new blades. I was like w:eek:w. Not even a single droplet on the wipe path. I personally feel like it was worth the money I had invested. The MRP of blades come to 1000 Rs & 850 Rs for the 24" & 16" respectively.Yes it is bit too pricey. But when it comes to safety I think it does give justice to the price we pay. Now let the pics speak.

IMG_2286-001.jpg [

ATTACH]24513[/ATTACH]

IMG_2288-001.jpg

IMG_2292-001.jpg
    moksh, anoop, dattatray and 5 others like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Which brand is OEM wipers?
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ravi OEM blades are of Valeo make. Not sure if it is same across all the models. But what I heard was replacement blades are of Bosch make.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Excellent. Right on time.

I just experienced the first monsoon rain on Friday here in Hyderabad and looks like my punto's wipers seem to have a problem, scrubbing violently against the screen. (they worked fine during the few showers it got it experience last year).

So a couple of questions:

- Are the ones you mentioned available online, else where did you buy them?

- How is the radius of the wipe effected due to the smaller than standard size of one of the wipers you bought.

- 1800 for these sounds really expensive but i am not sure how much the OEM ones cost. let me check out the older threads for pricing.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @vj_v1
    - Are the ones you mentioned available online, else where did you buy them?
    Yup I bought them online. If you can find it at any car accessories showroom, you can bargain and get a better deal.I got it from carsingh.com. Their price was bit lesser than MRP. But after shipping it came to around 15 rs more from MRP. This was the cheapest deal I could find online.

- How is the radius of the wipe effected due to the smaller than standard size of one of the wipers you bought.
    Even I had this same confusion. But in real,t here is no difference at all from the standard.

- 1800 for these sounds really expensive but i am not sure how much the OEM ones cost. let me check out the older threads for pricing.
    OEM ones I think would cost you somewhere around 800-900 Rs
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cinju,
    Nice thread as rains are around and for night journeys its really vital.
    I'm also facing the similar problem when i start wiper it wipes with the sound and leaves behind the radial marks of the wiper and i have to get down of the car and use cloth and wipe it.

I dont know whether this a problem due to the dust particles around the wiper or the wiper is culprit,by the way how should one expect the life of wiper ? one year two year or the kind off usage?
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Ganges one thing which you can try before going ahead with replacement is try cleaning the windshield with toothpaste, preferably white paste. This will clean off the contaminants in the windshield. Life of blades is totally unpredictable. There are several factors like your normal usage, accidental usage when the windshield is dry, heat from the sun , blade material etc. The OEM blades should go without any problem for at least an year in the worst conditions. Do not compromise safety . If you feel that it is time to change the wiper blades, do it at the earliest. Keeping it extended would spoil your windshield as well as risk your life.
    1 person likes this.
  8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So finally started the thread. I also want to change the wiper ... but no sparco for me after seeing that cost. :D
    Do you know if Hella's new wipers suit punto? have anybody here tried it?
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Varun as per Nimish, Hellas wipers are costlier than Sparco.
  10. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    I am also facing exactly same problem. Thanks cinju for starting this thread. Though i think they are expensive.