1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The story of Linea and my Dad

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Arun1100, Sep 21, 2010.

1. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    @Arun1100

Decide which car suits your requirements better. Then you can think about the other things which are not in your control. Looking at your rating Vento scores better than Linea. No point in buying a car just because of the brand. Even some guys working at FIAT don't have as much passion as you do :)

You can also wait for Linea TJet to checkout if the fit & finish has improved. It will also be more powerful than City and Vento.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, that is exactly what I meant in my post above when I mentioned Honda City. I agree that even VW does not have 100% security and cost of ownership can be a major factor for VW in future as well.
    Another example is Daewoo motors (Cielo was a success in Chandigarh and Matiz too later on). I guess not many would have thought that Daewoo will be bankrupt and eventually sold to GM.

But, the thing is: Does VW offer more future security than Fiat?
    Does any of you remember when I talked of "peace of mind" thing I encounter sometimes, in other thread a few days back?
    Here is a picturesque view of my dilemmas that still visit me sometimes when people say that Fiat is doomed.
    This pic was clicked on 10th July 2010. A beautiful Linea and an i20 that I see from my balcony everyday+ a Punto(not in pic) at times as well is parked next to i20.
    I was in a confusion. "i20 vs Punto vs Linea". Somewhere inside I asked myself, "If I buy i20 and then see Punto everyday, will I regret? Or if I buy Punto and see an i20, how will I feel?
    I dropped i20 after that. Linea was dropped because of parking and budget issues.
    But now, I read sales figures of August, and then I read at CarWale, TeamBHP and on NDTV that Fiat is not happy with the JV. Of course, it turned out to be a rumour but it did made me think whether that i20 owner was more prudent in car selection, than me?

We all talked about Fiat's future on the last few pages of Fiat India- Sales thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=105

If Arun now wants to discuss about longterm presence of Fiat in India, our above mentioned thread should carry some importance here as well.
    My sincere apologies to you all If anybody is not happy with my post. I'm a relatively new Fiat Enthusiast(just about a month or so) and I'm loyal to my garage but I'm just trying to be neutral here.

Photo-0258.jpg

Photo-0260.jpg
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Oh,well,if spare part availablity,future of the manufacturer and peace of mind is the criterion to buy a car,then best would be AMBASSADOR and not a vento or I20,spares are available at every street corner shop and the company will survive as long as Indian govt exists.
    By,the way,we were one of the very proud and happiest owner of CIELO and bought it before bankruptsy,never had we regretted the buy,it was an awesome car and served as well for 8.5 years,there were no problems with service after bankruptsy as it had been taken over by TATA and we had genuine spares till we had the car
  4. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    T-Jet vs Vento vs City

I am too excited reading the reviews of Carwale and the pics of T-Jet. Considering Carwale's report on T-Jet and also considering all the suggestions I got from the last two pages of this thread, this is how I now compare T-Jet, Vento and City.

LINEA T-Jet EP vs VENTO 1.6 TL Petrol vs City-M V. Ratings of points from 1to 3.

1. Looks --
    Linea-3
    Vento-1
    City-2

Linea's looks will surely create history. Just like Palio, one will never get bored looking at a Linea even after a decade.

POLO with a boot!

Overall good. But doesn't give the bold look of a European car.

2. Interior finish --
    Linea-2
    Vento-2
    City-2

Linea has leather seats. New crome inserts gives it the much needed premium feel.

Vento is very simple. Over simple I can say and VW defends by saying its German style of simplicity.

According reports from Team Bhp, Jazz has better interior plastics. I hate the ac knobs in City.

3. Engine(Petrol) --
    Linea-2
    Vento-1
    City-3

According to carwale reports, Linea's performance is mouth watering!

Vento petrol is good, but Diesel will outshine the Petrol just like in Verna.

I-Vtec is a gem.

4. Showroom(Booking) Reviews --
    Linea-1
    Vento-2
    City-3

Generally Tata guys are OK types but they act well when I say I am from FCB!

VW showrooms are too crowded. Waiting period is a turn off as we need to be in constant touch with the dealer.

I have had good showroom/testdrives experience with Honda.

5. Service(ASS) --
    Linea-2
    Vento-2
    City-3

Linea parts are in-expensive. Many services centres to choose from.

No idea about VW ASS.

Never heard anything negative about Honda Service.

6. Future of Fiat, VW and Honda(in India)--
    Linea-1
    Vento-2
    City-3

Waiting for Sept. sales figures. But I am confident TATA and Fiat wont give up!

VW is here to stay for sure considering their stake of 20% in Suzuki, they seem to be really strong these days. Loved their Ad campaign.

Honda is here to stay, no doubt in it.

7. VFM --
    Linea-3
    Vento-2
    City-2

Features wise nothing more we can ask from T-Jet! 16 inch wheels, Turbo, neat interiors, classy leather seats etc etc. Hope it costs just a lac more than normal 1.4

Looks like Polo and less in features. ABS not with EBD. But very impressive build quality.

Very pricey. Almost a premium of 1 lac.

8. Brand acceptance in India(General public) --
    Linea-1
    Vento-3
    City-3

Very difficult to convince people to buy a Fiat.

People love VW cos of Beetle, Passat, Jetta displayed alongside the Vento and Polo.

Indians love and trust HONDA!

Result:-
    Linea -- 15
    Vento -- 15
    City -- 21
  5. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    Arun,

Review of my Linea's handling:

Suspension : Which is so good that the car is not affected by uneven surfaces & on smooth surfaces the same is stiff which gives a very good handling of the car.

Also when any of the wheels leave contact with the road the suspension sees to that the three or two wheels which are on the road are even and therefore the suspension does not run out of travel (bottom or top).

Under Steer: The car has a small amount of under steer so that it responds predictably to a turn of the steering wheel.

On Bumps: When the car travels over bumps & pot holes the suspension is not exhausted, so the wheels do not tend to loose contact with the road surface.

Body Roll: The car does not lean too much towards the outside of the curve when you’re cornering, it is because the weight transfer is very even. This I have experienced during my travel to Kodaikanal on Ghat roads. During the initial travel on the Ghat roads I was a little bit careful not to go at speeds excessive of 50 kms, but seeing the car cornering very well I gave it a go & the time taken for me to reach Kodaikanal was only three & half hours. Normally it would take 4 to 4.5 hours to reach.

Tires: Linea has 15 Inch tires & suitable suspension setup, the road holding & handling is therefore very good.

Wheelbase: In this segment of Sedans Linea has the highest wheelbase, therefore the weight transfer is even when the car is swerving.

Steering: Hydraulic gives the driver more feel & the friction generated by the rack & pinion type is the best type of mechanism for effective control.

Ride Quality: Normally if the handling of the car is very good the ride quality would be a compromise. The Linea is setup in such a way that there is no lag of ride quality. I did not feel tired after traveling for 3.5 hrs of which 2.5 hrs was on the Ghat roads. Even my co-passengers(3 + me) were surprised to feel the freshness when arriving at the destination.

After Sales Service is improving by leaps & bounds. That to now T Jet is in the horozine with its impressive reports in other forum's I think buying Linea is VFM.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Arun,

Since you mentioned that your father is very particular about Quality, the best way is to explain him everything threadbare. You can use several reviews here by owners. Tell him the reality on all Negatives & also the Positives, in that order.

Mention that....
    • he might need to visit TASC a bit more than VW TASC (though VW service is remains to be seen). May be once every 3-4 months (I guess thats the usual period for cars using mineral engine oil like ANHC)
      [/*:m:2b5gd3uc]
    • the so called Niggling issues
    • a bit struggle to get things done thro' TASC with its knowledge-level. After involving Fiat, its a breeze though.
    • a lead time of 3-4 days to 1 week for some spares
    • against all these, VW service, spares availability etc still remains to be seen/ experienced though its expected to be better.
    • excellent Ride/ Handling, Steering of Linea,
    • Excellent build quality
    • Exterior looks - absolute gem
    • Excellent braking
    • Blue&Me & steering mounted audio control & all features /equipments
    • ...and all Positives/ Negatives of Linea & Vento[/*:m:2b5gd3uc]

Overall, explain everything to him. See, in earlier times, expectations were lower & he might be ok with all these against what he gets in return. Then he might choose Linea. If not, then he might choose Vento.
  7. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Today's development.

@Naren: WE Loved reading your review. WE have no doubt on the performance of LINEA.
    @Vahanpujari: Thanks for pointing me to the right direction!

@Ravi, Yashik(Paddleshifter), Bala, J.Ravi, Naren VahanPujari, funkykar, karthik1100 etc: THANKS A TON FOR ALL YOUR VALUABLE POSTS.

Dad, Mom and me went to Prerana Motors so that I could explain all that I learnt about FIAT cars in the last one year. Showed the plastics and the problems that we might face.

Also showed him the posts in this thread. Just now he read the posts of Naren and Vahanpujari too.

Broadly we now have two options:

1. Wait for T-Jet. Hope the pricing is right and at least few niggling issues solved.
    2. Invest a bit less and go for Punto 90HP or 1.4 FIRE EP. Convinced him saying its a premium hatchback with just a large boot missing. He loved the mini Maserati too!
    3. If both of these don't happen then we might go for Vento.(Polo is a bit cramped).
    4. Honda City is wonderful but I doubt it would put a SMILE on my face while driving it.

IIRC Some MOD here rightly said that own a FIAT and one will be happy for more number of days in a year than by not owning one ::T
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Re: Today's development.

The idea is that it must be an informed decision whichever way he decides for a better ownership experience in future. If he decides on Linea, he must know what to expect & what not to expect. And likewise for Vento too.

The best option, I would say.

::T :wink: The Statement reads like this -->> I would rather prefer to cope up with TASC for 10-15 days in a year than to remain unhappy for remaining 350-355 days driving a car other than Linea in the segment without a broad grin on the face :wink:
  9. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Re: Today's development.

Now I will remember this quote properly, Amit.

"Heart", "Soul", "Smile on driver's face" -- Among cars, we associate these words only with a FIAT. Its' a FIAT thing which many wouldn't understand unless they own/ drive a FIAT.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good Luck Arun. ::T
    :eek:fftopic : Better get ready for EQ's birthday party you guys have planned. ::D
    By the way, I saw something funny in a Hollywood movie that relates perfectly to EQ. I'll come up with a post in the "Humor" thread soon.