1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The story of Linea and my Dad

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Arun1100, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nope, all spares comes from Fiat, with Fiat stamp on the box, spares etc. They might be sourcing some spares from common vendors, but the spares of Fiats are sealed/packed in different packet.

Regarding the knowledge of service guys, I agree with Bala. Similar educated/background people work at Maruti or Tata.
    Actually, recently on my 2nd servicing the SA was new, so i asked from where he came. He told from Maruti. I asked why so much issues with Fiat cars, he told most of the Fiat owners know so many things and managing knowledgeable customers are always difficult ::D . I know its not very true, but even Maruti and Hyundai do mess-up. The only good part of Maruti/Hyundai is availability of spares and customer base. In TASC, mostly the customers are taxi guys and handling them is different.
    I am not very sure, but with recent launches of Manza, Vista and upcoming launches of Aria, Tata will also think somehow to segregate the different customers.
  2. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Yashik and Ravi for your reply. I just can't resist a FIAT.

I too thought of CITY but felt its a bit pricey. Anyways I will try for a FIAT to my level best.

My Dad will surely love the DRIVE of LINEA. No doubt in it. So point in test driving.. he he he.. BTW I have test driven a Linea for around 10 times to fully satisfy myself!!!

I plan to show him the posts of TFI after a day or two, especially of RAVI and allow him to decide. This is best option I guess.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Please go for TD of both VW Vento and Fiat Linea, not once but many times with different dealers, and then decide.

Having said that I disagree with the above-mentioned statements.

There are threads dedicated to the owners' satisfaction with the authorised service stations of Fiat India, Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai Motors and Honda Siel. Fiat India's performance is comparable with the other Indian leading car manufacturers. Having owned Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa for more than 17 years, I can authoritatively state that Fiat India is comparable with the market leader, if not better, in the performance of authorised service stations. In fact, my MS Versa's AC compressor and themostat switch went kaput within a month after purchase and I had to wait for more than a month for replacement under warranty. On the contrary, my Fiat Linea is trouble-free from the past one year almost.

I don't think VW Vento is as VFM as Linea. Price-wise, VW Vento is costlier by Rs 70 k than Fiat Linea albeit without Blue&Me, steering-mounted control, USB stereo connectivity, dead-pedal, foldable rear seat and many more mouth-watering features that Fiat Linea has. Vento has 185/60R15 tyres in Highline as against Linea's 195/60R15 in Emotion Pack. Vento has pathetic 175/70R14 space-saver spare even for Highline, not so in Linea. Vento has electronic power steering as against Linea's hydraulic power steering. VW has a dealership network of 47 as against 175 of Fiat India.

Anyway, it's your money and your choice. Select a car which caters to most of your requirements. I wish you all the best, Arun110.
  4. Arun, u cannot 100% trust the future of FIAT in India. in the year 1998-1999 till late 2007 people lost the hope in FIAT but still fiatians used to buy Fiats only because its was a FIAT and they know the cars well, they were never bothered about the service and parts as there are few of wonderful mechanics who know each every bolts of fiats are existing in Bangalore. now at least people have 50% of trust in FIAT as TATA is there. but still true Fiatians are not even bothered TATA services are not. as long as the parts are available there is nothing to bother. yes definitely parts will be available even after a decade for punto and linea, at least for 1.3 multi jet engine because this engine is quite famous across the world. the feel you get in linea when you drive cannot be expected in any other cars in its segment for sure. let your dad drive it. take him to mysore road concorde motors or white field KHT motors as the road will be traffic less and he can feel the vrooms and zips of fiat. and also let him drive vento. i am sure he will fall for linea.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, the only worry, if at all is about the future of Fiat in India. That is the only doubt in my mind.
    Otherwise one can live with a few niggles and average interiors any day. As a product, Punto and Linea are one of the best.
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Well slightly being OT, I know 2 occasions when VW employees (Pune plant) suggested to go for FIAT, for they know the cost of ownership of their cars will be higher than FIAT. Actal words from VW employee working at QC department, are "New generation FIAT cars are so good, FE wise and technology wise. But only People know about cars are going for it."

Regarding service issues, every automobile manufacturer need a kick on their ASS...nobody is perfect.

Arun, go for Linea...and njoy to the fullest!!!

--Rajeev
  7. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Let me tell some more about our next car purchase.

Dad, Mom and me are all equally crazy of cars at home. FIATs have a special place in our hearts. Especially after Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore, my parents realized that I was not the only one who likes FIATs. I feel FIATs are the only cars with "SOUL and CHARACTER". Hell the company cos of their management issues. But their cars-JUST AWESOME!

My family is a normal middle class family. The next car we take, is a dream car for us. I am the only son with three married sisters. So mainly I will be using the car. I have just started working and have never really toured till now except for M'lore and Mysore! So I am dreaming a lot travelling with our next car.

What/why I am actually scared of?:-Fiat exiting India.
    I was very confident of Fiat India but the -ve Aug sales keeps me wondering about their future. We will be taking the car on loan of 5 years. SO I want the car/company to be trouble free at least for the next five years!!!

I don't really care about the plastics as a car like LINEA with best build quality and engine/driving abilities/ having soul and character is better than a car which just LOOKS NICE.

I have two old FIATs at home. I spend all my money collecting parts for future!!!
    [url="http://www.team-bhp.com/foru...w.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/ ... ost1757349
    [/url]
    So when I think of buying a car whose future is still not clear then I start getting nightmares!

What next??
    Tomorrow I will take my Dad to a Fiat showroom and show him LINEA in detail. Lets see what happens!!

@J.Ravi: Thanks for the advice. I agree with you. I am following you Linea thread since long. You have had absolutely no trouble.
    Regarding Vento, only thing I liked in it is the 1.6L engine and butter smooth gearbox.

@Karthik1100: One Fiat veteran(he owned a Fiat service shop in Bangy) says that FIAT has the curse of people cos of the UNO debacle.

@ALL: I am sure there are many thousands of FIAT enthusiasts who are backing off from buying a FIAT because of similar reasons as stated by me!
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    See any old/out of market car will have spare problems. And we all know Fiat did messed-up with their previous launches.

Now about Fiat leaving India, personally I believe they will not (it doesn't make sense to leave fastest emerging market). Also I mentioned multiple times, Fiat in India is half Tata and Tata is legally obliged to service the cars they are selling for Fiats. If Fiat Italy decides to leave India, its 50% shares will be sold to somebody, most probably to Tata itself, same thing happed with Mahindra and Renault (Mahindra bought Renault's share of the JV).

But my suggestion is, if you have slightest doubt don't take it. Because if you take, and you have some issues (after all its machine), you will regret your decision.
    Take your time, think of different factors and then decides. Also, VW's future is no certain as well. Everything looks very rosy when economy is doing good. We Indian still have to see how these companies behaves when downturns comes (It is cyclic and bound to come). If you plan to play safe, why not SX4 or Honda City or Verna etc. Just my suggestion.
  9. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Very Important point! One need to be mentally prepared for any issues. Not limited to FIAT, but any car or brand. Yes, once I go for it, I will never regret but instead face the problem BOLDly.

Yeah. Recession is THE time to check the stability of a company. (Like RECOVERY Testing in software!). I got yet another idea. Will post it here tomorrow. All I can say is I am feeling more happy cos of this IDEA!
  10. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    In general, when a person who is die hard fan of FIAT and is bit apprehensive of spending a Million rupees on Linea, what are his alternatives?!!!

While I was discussing this with few friends, one friend gave me a nice suggestion!!! I am currently thinking of it! :wink: