1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The story of Linea and my Dad

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Arun1100, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Hello FIATians.

Many might know here that I am crazy of classic Fiats. The classic Fiat closest to my heart is my Dad's 1991 Premier Padmini, which was his first car. We all love this car to the core.

After two decades my Dad(64 years) wants to buy an other Fiat after owning many Jap cars. Since a year he is gone crazy of Linea.

But I have few concerns for him in buying a Linea:-

1. He has no idea that Tata is also involved in manufacturing a Fiat car in India.
    2. He doesn't know that Tata services Fiat cars and the service is not very satisfactory from Tata.
    3. He has absolutely no idea that Linea has many niggling(plastic) issues.
    4. He doesn't remember that Fiat had disappeared from India 5 years back and came back again.
    5. He is a guy who is very particular about the QUALITY of the product, which I feel is lacking in Fiat cars in some areas. Service/spares costs is not an issue for him.

6. If I move out of Bangalore for career reasons he will have to take care of Linea and the Tata Service guys.

The only other option for him is VW VENTO. I too love the car. So I tried evaluating as to which car is best for him based on points. This is what I felt:-

LINEA vs VENTO. Ratings of points from 1to 3.

1. Looks --
    Linea-3
    Vento-1

2. Interior finish --
    Linea-1
    Vento-3

3. Engine(Petrol) --
    Linea-2
    Vento-3

4. Showroom(Booking) Reviews --
    Linea-1
    Vento-3

5. Service(ASS) --
    Linea-1
    Vento-2

6. Future of Fiat and VW (in India)--
    Linea-1
    Vento-3

7. VFM --
    Linea-2
    Vento-2

8. Brand acceptance in India(General public) --
    Linea-1
    Vento-3

Result:-
    Linea -- 12
    Vento -- 20

We plan to keep the car forever. If it was my money then I can take the risk of buying a Fiat car inspite of known problems. Here the problem is cos my Dad is buying with his long time savings and he should not be cheated.

What do you say TFIans-- Fiat or no :?: :!:
  2. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Fiat ASS is improving very well by the day. However, it has still not reached the point where you can be rest assured of any issues in the car. You still need to keep juggling with TASS and get your problems rectified. Interior plastics are still the same. If one is not too keen on it, it should be okay. If you want excellent ASS, go the Vento way, which would suit your Dad's needs too. If passionate and want performance and can put up with average ASS, then Linea should be first choice.
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I totally disagree with statement being-TATA service is not satisfactory.So far it has been satisfactory in my case but the only point is the service guys are not knowledgeable,but so will be the VW service guys too,after all it's the same guys here and there and VW does not keep a special entrance exam for service guys!
    And the cost of ownership will not be as cheap as it is in Linea,it would be atleast 3 times more,I've spent only Rs.2,460 in 26,000 kms of ownership with a Diesel Linea,can you beat that?
    It's to early to predict the service or future of VW in India,certainly their JETTA,PHAETON and PASSAT are failures in their segemnts
  4. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Bala: He doesn't care about the service costs as long the work done is good.

TASS guys are not knowledgeable?? Then I should rate them from "not satisfactory" to BAD!

I am absolutely not sure of VW service. But I am happy that the service is done by VW itself and there are not many taxi cars in VW.

A true example: Yesterday I had been to Prerana motors to rectify Sujith1100's Punto problem. There in the reception, I saw one Indica taxi driver forcing the receptionist to take the car for service at 2pm and he wants the car to be delivered at 5 pm. She explained him politely but that dumb driver was not agreeing and took her cool off!
  5. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    I love Linea/Punto/ old Fiat/ junk Fiats too!!!!! Supporting Fiats I got Banned in Team Bhp for a year.

Being a FM of Fiat 1100 Club I had the opportunity of knowing many people in various TASS in Bangalore. I am absolutely OK with TASS as I know how to handle them.

Issue here is as the car is being bought by my Dad and he will have to handle the ASS guys. He will surely lose his cool if the TASS guys
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    It is easy ARUN to say that one does not mind about service cost,but practically even today I can not digest the fact that MARUTHI had billed me RS.300 for just fixing a park lamp fuse in my ealier SWIFT,which actually takes just 2 minutes and which actually they had removed at the time of service
    Service guys are not knwoledgeable anywhere,I had my swift returned with white paint sprayed all over due to another car being painted next and I had umpteen other issues with MARUTHI,so not a case to pick FIAT alone for quality of service
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    He knows to admire the beauty.

About your concerns -

1. He has no idea that Tata is also involved in manufacturing a Fiat car in India.
    Tata is not at-all involved in manufacturing. Tata is limited to sales/service.
    2. He doesn't know that Tata services Fiat cars and the service is not very satisfactory from Tata.
    In Bangalore, you will get comparatively satisfactory service. I am using Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle, and no issues at-all.
    3. He has absolutely no idea that Linea has many niggling(plastic) issues.
    Yes there is niggling issues, but nothing is major. It certainly disturbs sometime.
    4. He doesn't remember that Fiat had disappeared from India 5 years back and came back again.
    Though I am not sure, even with many failure, Fiat has never left India. And with Tata, my personal view is they will not leave India.
    5. He is a guy who is very particular about the QUALITY of the product, which I feel is lacking in Fiat cars in some areas. Service/spares costs is not an issue for him.
    I think let him try multiple test drives and buy only when you/he is sure of the product. Don't go by some plastics are broken in Test Drive vehicles. Most the TD vehicles are old one and new car have little better finish (not up-to-the mark).

Vento is also an excellent choice, but let us wait for giving points on servicing, niggling issues, maintenance costs etc. We still have to see how it performs in sales/servicing.
    I think T-Jet is launching, do get your hands on that machine and share your experiences.
  8. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    I agree Bala.

But, do you know the cost of the keyless remote of a Punto/ Linea? And the time it takes for Fiat to deliver you a new one in case the keyless is spoilt?!!!

Also remember that be it Maruti/Hyundai/Tata or whatever, the dealer hardly makes money in selling a car. All the profits he makes is in Servicing/repairing. Except for Hyundai and Maruti no other company has better(wide) ASS.
  9. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Bangalore
    Ravi: I totally value your points.

I have seen the way KHT handled Sujith's Punto when he had lots of problems when bought new. Just superb. ::T I know many people in Prerana too. They too are very good.

Fiat India for sure is serious this time for good business in India.

Even though I might be not very happy with TASS, Fiat is selling some cars thanks to wide service network of Tata.

EDIT: Ravi: Tata is involved in Spares too!
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ha Ha. Two threads started at a same time. One about Punto and second about Linea.

Actually, our Punto is our family car and has been bought by my dad and he is paying the EMI though the decision and short listing it for him was in my hands. I took the decision of going for a Fiat instead of hyundai i20.

That's a very tough job suggesting a car when it's the parents who have to spend the money. If we have to see a company's future, only Maruti, TATA, Honda, Hyundai, Mahindra and Toyota are 110% secure.
    Next comes Chevy and then Skoda(surprisingly still going on despite so many issues and cases).
    VW, Nissan, Fiat do not have a 100% secure future. These are struggling brands as of now.
    VW is likely to make it for sure though. I think they are here to stay at least as they have the right marketing strategy and have invested heavily.

Fiat cars have started to sell in good numbers here in Chandigarh. The slow pick up is because of lack of proper marketing and ADs/promotion.

@Arun- If A.S.S.is a priority, what about a City? Is it in budget? 1.5L 110bhp engine. Fuel efficiency about 15kmpl for a 1.5 engine is great. Has a refined engine. Good interiors. A.S.S. is definitely more reliable than VW or TATA-Fiat.