1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Story of 90 Horses.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Deepak, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Clouds above you start to pour
    All of your doubts rage like a storm
    And you don't know where you are anymore
    Let me help you find what you've been searching for”

That’s exactly how Team fiat helped me when I was in dilemma of deciding a car. The sole reason I own a FIAT today is because of the TFI forum. My gratitude to fellow TFIans whose passionate reviews made a Hyundai owner join the Fiat family. Time has come to give it back to the community expecting it will inspire some soul somewhere on someday.

Back in 2010 when I was tired of going to office in BMTC I realized the necessity of a bike. I bought the Apache RTR 160. I was mesmerized by its handling. It had awakened the racer inside me. My best memories are coupled with RTR changing my world upside down. Every time I zip through the traffic I would look back in the mirror to see those people stuck in car trying to make a move. Felt I did the right choice by buying a bike. So till 2015 I rode and rode and the ODO in RTR now stands at 50K in 3.5 years. I teased people owning car screaming “Four wheel move body, two wheel move soul”. I was never a car freak.

It was in July 2014, I had gone for a round on EC flyover and on the way back I took the service lane. Further ahead on the left side I saw a Black car taking reverse inside a showroom. It was evening and those glowing LEDs made me stop and I was inside the showroom very next moment. It was a Black Punto Evo. I was dumb stuck seeing it. I had never seen a newly launched Punto facelift till then. The all new breed, it appeared like a black BMW with gorgeous LEDs.

The time when mind goes for a toss and a feel of owning one such car was something new to me and thus begun my desire to steer wheel. I dint know driving so decided to take used one till I’m used to driving. I searched for 3 months and bought Hyundai i10.
    But I continued my research on Punto, read numerous reviews by the passionate owners.[pros/cons] Every review did spark a smile on my face and I was very excited to own the 90 horses myself. I kept reading each and every small news about FIAT almost in every forum and it was already 1.5 years! I don’t know what I was waiting for.

Now I had read everything about Punto (HPS, build quality, breaks, ride and handling) and decided to verify it myself. Booked the TD of 90HP from Vecto motors. That was a brand new Evo, 30 km on odo. I started the engine. 1st gear and then slotted to second: felt the Lag. Then remembered someone saying Punto is a mini rocket in 3rd gear. Changed to 3rd and to my surprise car was still moving like a snail. Again remembered someone’s comment to rev above 2rpm. Floored the accelerator and yet there was no difference in pick up. Car slowly started gaining speed after a while. Although I found all the other things true about Punto , slow pick up even in 3rd gear was a big letdown. I had never driven a diesel car before. Maybe I was expecting a petrol like diesel. I decided to TD other diesel cars and see the difference. Booked the TD of Swift, ETIOS Liva, i20 active on the same day!
    I got a call from Pratham Motors HSR layout for the TD of Swift. I started the engine. 1st gear and then 2nd. Wow! the scene was completely opposite to Punto. I was blown away by the low end torque in Swift. Realized that I was so mad about Punto for 1.5 years without driving it and Swift displaced it no time. What the **** .
    I was sad and confused. I told the SA at Maruti I will take some time and get back to them. Next day I got a call from Nandi Toyota for ETIOS TD, The steering was pathetic and I hated it for that. It was like a toy car. Next TD was i20 active, I was very excited about the new crossover from Hyundai and expectation was more. I took the cross over on bad patch and car started to float in potholes. Suspension was a big letdown in i20. Also steering on the lighter side didn’t inspire me either. So it was Swift which topped my list followed by Punto, i20, Liva. Never felt like TDing Polo, even if I had liked I was never going to buy for the crunched space. So it’s the Swift I should take now.

I was not able to digest the fact that Swift using Fiat’s engine took me away from a car which really had sparked the Car Kheeda in me in.
    After a lot of thinking; I decided to give a Second chance before I book the swift. I requested one more TD of Punto but this time from KHT fiat. I went in a dull mood started the engine. 1st gear and then 2nd . Noticed the usual lag, then shifted to 3rd. Hit the accelerator and got a jerk. Car threw me back to the seat. I was like what the ****. I gave more gas and car pulled like all those 90 horses stuck in mud trying to come out with all the forces and yes that was exactly like a mini rocket! I never thought I could experience that. I was laughing all the way with immense joy. I asked the SA how much the car had run, he said its 7500km on ODO!. I then realized its the new engine which takes time to open up and will become smoother post few thousand km run. SA confirmed the same. I was on cloud 9 that day. I still remember that as one of the best day in life! I was fully charged till I hit the bed. I learnt a lesson to give a second chance to your loved one before letting it go.

I decided to buy 90HP in December expecting year end offer. During this period met my old friend who has already booked a Swift. Delivery was in one month. Though he had loved Punto for its look he wasn’t ready to buy fearing low re sale value and ASS. This is the moment every fiat fan waiting for! To give Gyaan on Brand Fiat and enlighten a confused soul on how exactly a car should be! I literally dumped all my knowledge of Fiat and he now owns the 75 horses. He was the first one to buy fiat in our group and mine was the 5th Punto when I booked. None of us had considered Fiat and yet all of us own fiat today. Feeling proud and happy.

Buying experience at KHT:
    My experience with KHT was very good. Manager Mr Syed, SA and friend Aftab are really cooperative. Car was delivered on the promised date on February 18 2016.
    IMG_20160218_174824500.jpg

Ownership review of 5000kms:
    One will never know the strength of Punto unless they take it on highway and in corners. It was real pain to drive below 2krpm in initial 1000 km. Controlled myself not to push over 2.5 krpm till 2500km. Post that I have done some superb spirited run. Punto lives in an entirely different world post 3k rpm. I have touched 170kmph and it still stick to the straight line like a leech without any wobbling. What a car! I just love the turbo whistle that starts from 120kmph to 150kmph. I mute audio Just to hear that. The Apollo alnac 4G are great tyres but little noisy at high speed. The only improvement needed is in the gearbox. Shifts are sticky but its much better now at 5000km. I do see some left pull which I am planning to get it fixed in first service. I see many prospective buyers are worried about left pull but trust me I bought fiat after knowing all niggles. And left pull is not an issue at all. When the steering gives you so much feedback you will literally forget everything!

Some pics of my 'Max'. IMG_20160312_183541.jpg IMG_20160306_155535.jpg
    MX Stands for Max - The MadMax!
    IMG_20160313_125239.jpg
    IMG_20160315_124038.jpg IMG_20160411_112449 (1).jpg IMG_20160413_132457.jpg

IMG_20160222_191549.jpg

IMG_20160313_124317171.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Deepak Congrats on 90 HP Red! A person active in TFI for long discussing pros cons and then atlast plunging into the decision of buying a 90HP. Congrats once again. Keep updating this thread. I have the same red. Let's keep sharing our experiences.
    Deepak and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Deepak : Finally :p Congrats man on your prized possession :) I have completed 18k kms in my car, and can tell you, that the engine has openend up and feels a lot smoother.
    It seems you were busy with your 'Max', didnt see you in TFI in a while, but now you are back with a bang. Enjoy and have a blast.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Deepak likes this.
  4. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations for 'Max'.. ride safe.
    Inspired other 4 and some to get a fiat even before yourself? You qualify for a fiat fan !!!
    Rama and Deepak like this.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KPR : thanks mate. sure i will update the thread.
    @Turbothinghy : Buddy thanks for the comment. I had decided my next post in TFI will be my Ownership review. So here it is :)
    It took 2 year of research and finally im owning the gorgeous 90 horses.
    Murphy_Fiat and Turbothinghy like this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Deepak : BTW you can now change your status in your profile from 'Fiat Enthusiast' to 'Punto 1.3 90 HP' :D
  7. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats @Deepak , that's one helluva car. It looks smashing in Red. Welcome to FIAT family. The same dilemma every prospective FIat owner goes through. Glad that you made a right decision & also influenced your friends to do the same. Have a many happy miles. Hope to catch you some time on Highway when you travel to Karwar. Enjoy your ride.
    Deepak likes this.
  8. jayadev.m4u

jayadev.m4u Amatore

Vijayawada
    Congratulations @Deepak. Very nice ownership thread. Max is truly a attention grabber in the mad traffic. Glad to know that the second chance has come out as a winner of heart! Wish you many more happy miles ahead.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    Deepak likes this.
  9. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats Deepak. Take her to the Ghats and Explore Fiat DNA More
    Deepak likes this.
  10. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Welcome to the FIAT Family Deepak!!!!
    I am really glad you are enjoying your drive!!!!!
    Looking for many more ownership reviews in the future
    Deepak likes this.