1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The roar of the multijet VGT engine subdued in an economy mode

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by opendro, Jul 23, 2015.

1. opendro

opendro Timido

Bangalore
    Confession: I love driving fast and it is difficult not to do so when behind Linea's steering wheel.

But the most irritating part of Linea diesel was the roar of the engine above 3000 rpm. I can tolerate it if driving alone. But when driving with family and kids, it is annoying. Talking becomes screaming, music becomes noise. This is one of the main reason I had always yearned for a 6th gear for the Linea, like what i20 or Altis has for the same 90 ps engines. 6th gear would also complement the heavy car with low power and shorter gear ratio.

I had been having the Race Dynamics dieseltronics for a long time. I hadn't used it for a few years as well. When I used, it was mostly used in P1 mode. Then suddenly I was in a mood to drive relaxed mode, staying below 120 kmph mostly. So, I ran in economy mode and it was such a pleasure. At 120 kmph the engine note is just about the wind noise. No, it was not a tailwind - I checked that. Then, my wife was impatient and suggested that I speed up when the road was allowing me to. So, I started picking up speed and I noticed that the engine note at 3500 rpm (140 kmph on my upsized tire 195/65 R15) was still quite within the tolerable limits. We could still talk normal, daughter was still able to read out her text book to us and ask questions while she wrote things on the notebook. I thought I should share this information if you are the kind who cannot resist driving fast but don't mind sacrificing quick acceleration.

Another feel good factor of economy mode is the reduction in the exhaust smoke. I used to watch as my wife drove out from garage to her office and it is hardly visible in economy mode whereas it is clearly visible in stock mode in the initial take off in initial gears in initial rpm.

If you are wondering if doing a hard acceleration in economy mode would reduce the fuel efficiency when compared to a P1 or stock with mild throttle, my experience tells me that hard throttle in economy mode gives much more efficiency than mild throttle in stock mode. With city, highway and hard throttle mode, I got 17 kmpl over 1100 km, maintained speed 120 - 140 weaving through traffic on highway and jading through long tolls. I would expect the stock mode to give around 16 for the same aggressive drive.

I love economy mode!
    Ganges, pdash, Sujit508 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,
    Nice to read your review about your tuning box.Can you please post what is P1 and Economy mode ? How are the switch settings,is it rotary kind ? if you dont mind can you please change the thread title, something related to Racedynamic ?
    Deepak likes this.