1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Renaissance of my JET - New White FIAT Linea T-Jet + (25,000Kms Update)

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by sathya_sc, Dec 31, 2010.

1. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: The Renaissance of my JET - New White FIAT Linea T-Jet +

Satya, thanks for the observation and the gyan. This will help the new buyers to make a note and follow to extract better fuel efficiency.

Regards
    Vasu
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

would it be due to bigger tires or some additional tuning in the suspensions? ::O
  3. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai

Yes, I think it can be attributed to the wider tyres.

Some observations by my family:

1. Rear seats are wider and leg room is slightly better. I am not buying this.
    2. Front passenger elbowing is less. I accept - May be slightly different packaging of seats. May be!
    3. Fit and finish of metal parts are better. My wife suffered an injury with the seat rails once when she was sitting at the back. it did create a cut in her legs. In T-Jet+ it is smooth.. no rough metal parts
    4. Bonnet release is tightly fit. Cannot remove it easily. Good
    5. Dead pedal is better. Not flimsy anymore. For those who own a Linea will know it is shaky and flimsy.
    6. Third rear head rest is a boon.

did a quick 31km in city. MID figs,

Avg: 11.2km/lt
    Avg Speed: 19km/hr
    Roads: bad (for those who know chennai, its nanganallur roads)
    Traffic: Moderate to Heavy

Some more observations will follow as time passes by..

Sathya
  4. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai

Installed Ecodrive in my T-Jet+. Results for today as a screen shot!

Note the mileage.. its 12.2km/lt (28.7mpg) for 27kms (16.7miles).. This is in CITY conditions... :clap.. The first four kms before Ecodrive installation reduced my mileage by 1km/lt.. thats why my MID shows 11.2km/lt for 31kms done today...
  5. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai

First of all congrats Sathya on acquiring the jet!
    Let me say yours was one of the best ownership threads I have read ...
    And trust me I have read a lot of them.

This builds a lot of confidence in particular for guys who haven't been fiat owners and fans especially
    after all the horror stories they have heard about fiat
    (some true;most posted by non-fiat owners with loads of prejudice)

My tjet plus arrives on 9th jan so I would appreciate a few tips.
    1. Could you please tell me the ideal run in period?
    2. What exactly happens if you accelerate beyond 100 before the run in is over.
    P.S. This particularly since the jet will not be used daily as I will not be parting with my santro.
    The jet will be used on weekends and out of town trips so it maybe some time before I complete the run in kms limit.

And boy am I itching to feel the turbo rush!

So when can I start giving the hondas and corollas inferiority complexes?

Opps...one more thing what is ecodrive and is it inbuilt or an add-on?
  6. Re: The Renaissance of my JET - New White FIAT Linea T-Jet +

Congrats Sathya!

Lovely write up. I felt like I am reading story of Hindi movie :)

Enjoy the ride man! I am impressed with the FE figures. Mine never gave me more than 10.7 of any road and at any speed ::O
  7. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore

Satya,

1. What is the ideal max RPM that could be hit in any gear during run-in ?

2. How are the NVH levels compared to the 1.3 MJD below 100 KPH Speed ?

Thanks
    Vasu
  8. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai

Eye Guy: Thanks and I love her so much. Congrats on your purchase. The run-in period can be atleast 2500kms and I would suggest you to restrict yourself within 2500RPM (max). Better to be within 2100 RPM. Modern engines are meant to be driven fast from day one.. but there is definitely some advantage if we maintain lower RPMs during first few thousand kms and I am realizing it. Having said this, I cannot surely say what will happen if some one rips within the first few thousand kms. My only advice will be - be light on her for first few thousand kms...

Ecodrive is an add-on, but not for cars in India.. It will help you to judge how to drive (like how do you accelerate, do you change gears are the right RPM etc. etc.) I just installed out of curiosity. I would recommend to stay away until an official version of S/W is released for Linea's in India!!!

One piece of advice - There may be some minor niggles in a FIAT (mine on the day of delivery had the fuel flap problem - I mean didn't open.. But I went home, opened it from the boot and put some oil and it started to work.. if you consider this to be an issue.. anything will be an issue).. but once you get addicted to the dynamics of the car.. its pure JOY and you wont feel like driving any other car ::T

Anand: Gear shifts are the key. Shift between 1500 - 2000 RPM and you will feel the difference.

Vasudev: Q1: Max 2000-2200 RPM
    Q2: Miles apart. T-Jet is extremely quiet and refined even at 130km/hr leave aside 100. You may not realize whether is engine is ON if there is some mild music!!!

All - Happy Motoring.
  9. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai

Thanks sathya
    That was really helpful
    The feul cap thing would probably have been an issue for me normally (never faced anything like that with my santro)
    But with Fiat I have prepared myself mentally to accept such niggles.
    Btw had a pre registration inspection and sorted out a few minor thingies.
    The fiat guy is really nice and patient with me I must say
  10. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai

Have added another 156.7kms to the ODO and the car is a breeze to drive... my MID reads 10.9km/lt for this sprint.. Once I lost my control and did climb upwards 120 in the speedo and man that was an awesome drive.. left many cars feel like they have DEAD engines including corollas and vtecs... Interestingly, one swift dezire wanted to keep pace, but I just left him in my dust ::D Probably he might never try to race with a T-Jet henceforth in his life..

Asking not to get to the turbo range during run-in is like asking a monkey to stay in one place.. :mrgreen:

My God, when am i going to finish 2500kms... :uh :sad1 :sadblue