1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Renaissance of my JET - New White FIAT Linea T-Jet + (25,000Kms Update)

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by sathya_sc, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Cheetah is of course the XUV5OO. Congrats Sathya.

2. sungoa2010

Congrats(based on ram's announcement:-D) sathya.
    Now XUV can leave Cheetah and get ready to get inspiration from Sathya's driving skills:D
  3. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. sathya_sc

Thanks Ravi sir, Ramesh, Sungoa and Saharsh. The beast is expected by mid July.

Sungoa.. I did test drive the Cruze.. Its an amazing vehicle but maintenance cost simply was not acceptable.. The cost was to the likes of 2-3k for every 5000kms. This is in addition to consumables like Engine oil or wear and tear parts like the brake shoes.. Laura was out of the budget for me. Within the given money, i finalized on the Cheetah after numerous test drives. Time will tell whether it is a good decision. I believe it will be.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Congrats Satya on your purchase of XUV.
    You did not want to wait for Hyundai Elantra,which looks beautiful and is expected in the 3rd quarter!!,also you did like Fluence but it went out of contention.
    Good that you will buy the car before the expected 80k levies on diesel cars.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That was always on the cards when last time you stated how it keeps up with the Tjet.
    I was the one to suggest, if you remember?
    Congrats! Pls post your review here on TFI.
    Also let us know more about Cruze handling/control when you compare it to your Tjet's.
    It's engine no doubt is an atom bomb. Can't refer magazines here because they never drive into the "ZONES" that actually matters. Just some MBA's with good English speech than talented & passionate drivers;).
    Your observation would be appreciated & it's official Cruze review for me!
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  7. sathya_sc

Thanks Bala. Actually, I did not consider the new Elantra after the episode in the Madurai - Tutukorin highway where a Sonata had slight trouble keeping up with me even in straights - corners were a different story though. So Hyundai Elantra was not considered.

Thanks Enki, Yes, XUV was on cards all the time. However, I looked into Cruze LT and Fluence Advantage edition in mind since they were almost in the same price band as that of the XUV. Since you have asked, let me write a little bit about the Cruze first and then compare it to the Jet.

To write about Cruze in a line - Its simply a Road Rocket. T-Jet is NO match to it for the way it accelerates.. It really pumps out adrenaline and gives you goose bumps when you are in its turbo band and when you accelerate hard (you feel the rush). But, there is very evident turbo lag and it affects driveability seriously.. Clutch is too hard to bear with. But get the turbo to boil, it will just pin you down to your seat and you will sometimes feel that its going out of control with all those horses waking up. In corners, I did not find it to roll much, but some roll is evident. This is not alarming however. For the bold, its not an issue. If you drive cars fast for the first time, the roll will scare you. It was DEFINITELY not a deal breaker for me atleast (used to drive Maruti 800 at 130s and push it until I run out of speedo :D.. so roll doesnt matter to me, if I want to go fast, I will come what may be) Comfort levels were good and the music system was also decent (better than the Jet.). In short, you cannot compare a T-Jet and a Cruze. T-Jet is a superb driving machine this side of 10L and Cruze at the 15L price band. So the comparison is not fair when we pit 114ps agaist 150ps and its evident when the Turbo spools in the Cruze. Also, my personal experience states that in highways, I have NEVER been able to keep pace with a CRUZE, so it was not a surprise for me during the test drives.

Now coming to the practicality, if you want to own a Cruze, be prepared with a hefty bank balance. A brake shoe change will put you down by 15k and an oil change will put you down by 7k. This is excluding the 2k that you need to spend for every 5000kms. So its a bomb to maintain.. How true it is, nothing is fully perfect. My heart wanted the Cruze while reality drove me away from it. But, when it comes to power within 15L, ITS THE CRUZE. NOTHING COMES CLOSE. Period.

And regarding the Fluence, price it at 13L OTR and it will sell (I would have seriously thought). Its simply overpriced. There is nothing unique to talk about except the plush ride and tank like build.

ANd why I chose the XUV..

Looks - Make or Break.. Its perceptional. I didnt have any issues with looks. Though I wouldn't call it the best looking.
    Engine - Its a bomb. Test Drive, I was at 130 at 3rd. Thats says it all. Have also driven my friends car which does 160-170 easily at 4th with 6th doing a double ton. True speed is in the lines of 186.. Impressive for an SUV of this size.. Isn't? Overall, ONE OF THE BEST HIGHWAY CRUISER I have driven this side of 20L.
    Dynamics - Ok types. Not bad like a scorpio and not good like the FIATS (may be its not good to even compare). But, its by far, the best in the SUV segment (<15L or even when compared to any Endy)
    Comfort - Good. My entire family voted in its favor.
    People mover - 7 seater - will help when there is a need.
    Comes loaded with features.
    Will serve me good for 4-5 yrs atleast, since its a Mahindra.
    Backed up by a good service network.

So I decided to go for it since it ticked almost all of my requirements.. I mean nothing is unique in it, but it appeared to be an all rounder.. Only time will tell the truth.

But all in all, it was not a decision that was taken in a day. I did my bit of analysis and decision making process for the last 6 months after numerous rounds of test drives starting with Rapid all the way to Jetta and Laura. So, I stand by my decision.. The outcome - be it +ve of -ve.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  8. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats!! Satya sir for owning the true Cheetah.
  9. sungoa2010

Very precise and brief review by sathya. Another advantage with XUV is that wide spectrum of roads that can be handled by it(highway to uneven surfaces with out much scraping). It is a true all rounder.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

did you opt for the 4WD ?