1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The red endangered Avventura

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Mar 5, 2015.

1. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi Pradeep, i get what you're saying, and appreciate it too. Just that:

I walk a lot on Delhi's truly diabolical-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians roads. And I ride my scooter a lot more than I drive my t-jet. In either case, I dearly wish we had hundreds of tall speedbreakers all over the roads and highways and ringroads and flyovers and expressways and bypasses of Delhi NCR and beyond: they're the only sensible way of enabling the co-habitation of pedestrians and cyslists and road-crossers with the brutal, fast, unending four-wheeled traffic. Many villagers absolutely need them too as they go about their daily rural lives, else they'll be getting mauled in even greater numbers on the state and national highways or even district roads.

@Vidhyashankar Kannan

Lovely, warm testimonial, again, keep them coming! And may they remain this engagedly/knowingly satisfied.:happy:
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

You should see how it would perform against a Linea T-Jet. You see, while the Rapid engine has the torque, the driver is maxxing it in terms of the stability at speeds >120 kph . At that point, the Linea T-Jet will be serene, calm. Its just that the Fiat driver must have the faith to surpass the Rapid. The car will do the rest.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : I too am for having speed bumps where there is inhabitation. I am not even complaining about the large numbers found on the highways. All I wish for is that these speed bumps are marked as per international standards. It is a rule that any speed breaker needs to be painted with white or yellow diagonal stripes. This ensure visibility from a distance and there is time for the driver to slow down.

An unmarked speed bump is actually more dangerous. The driver may skid and either break the axle and still hit the pedestrian in front. The worst case scenario is if the front wheels turn abruptly after hitting the bump causing the car to topple over and again hitting a pedestrian. Either ways, there is no point in keeping an unmarked obstruction.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 24, 2015 ---
    I totally agree on that last line. I have a friend who owns a LInea T-Jet. He has driven at 160 and found the car surprisingly composed on turns. The Linea is so stable that the driver needs to understand it is not like every other car sold.

And I am not feeling even one bit hassled. I lost to a 1.5 litre diesel engine on a straight where it was pure brawn. I was right behind him on all turns where I did not have to slow down much. But to give him his due credit, the Rapid driver was very experienced. He had beautiful control over his car. Wonder what he'd do if he had a T-Jet.
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    prabhjot, PradeepM and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  5. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    Unmarked speed breakers are among the biggest threats on unfamiliar roads, more so on a bike. At some places the local people are influencing the workers to make one during the construction or repair of the road to control the speed of the vehicles passing by though it may be dangerous for the driver. You may be hit from behind or lose control of the vehicle. At least they should mark it properly.

Higher cc makes all the difference on straights. Moreover, Rapid is not that bad in terms of handling and dynamics. I had a similar experience with a swift diesel on my way to Wayanad. My Getz Crdi was easily passing him on straights though he was trying hard not to let me pass him. But when twisties arrived, he was spanking horn behind me to let him pass. Anyway, curious to know the speeds you were doing during the trip.
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The Rapid is pretty good on the handling front. I was going between 110-130 km/hr and doing sharper turns at 80 km/hr. I would have liked to do more but we had no idea when a speed bump would whack the suspension.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Rapid may not be bad on the handling and dynamics front, but the Linea gets the grippier tyres, that allow it that much more leeway even for a relatively inexperienced driver to take reasonable thrills without getting to the edge. For the Rapid, that would have to be an experienced fella. Add to that terrific brakes (all-discs on T-Jet).

I am curious @Vidhyashankar Kannan . How the hell did you manage to bottom out the Avventura inspite of the 205mm GC ? I mean, its not out of bounds, but it had to be a very rare case. Does the Avventura sag a bit under load ? I am trying to draw parallels with the Duster I recently acquired, but looking at the significantly large suspension travel, I tend to dismiss the thought of bottoming out. Even an insanely sharp ramp to a 3M store the other day did not affect it , so, lets see..
  8. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am not contesting the Linea at all. It has better tyres, brakes, the famous Fiat handling and a powerful engine. I am more than happy to say that the Avventura with its smaller engine and bhp per tonne rating still managed to keep up with the Rapid. But I have to give due respect to the driver who really managed the car well.

Regarding the bottoming out, no, the suspension did not bottom out at all. Nor does it sag under load. It is crisp, firm and maintains control. What happened was, after passing a huge speed bump, there was an enormous crater that was perhaps the length of half a car itself and had the width of nearly the entire road. Following the speed bump, I had little time to slow down and I could not put only one wheel in at at time. I still underestimated the depth and when I dropped both the rear wheels in, the rear body under the boot hit the periphery of the crater. It was not a problem of GC. It was one of those really deep craters that had to be driven over at perhaps 0.5 km/hr. I got so used to the Avvy's GC I didn't think it would actually hit. I guess some craters can really swallow cars. I couldn't even drive around it as it came just after the bump. Every other car that went in had underbody tonsuring done. Except mine.
    prabhjot, Murphy_Fiat and PradeepM like this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

Those in Pune will recall that infamous stretch of (non existent) road parallel to the Khadki railway station on the Range hills side, where there is that lunar size crater that often may have doubled up as a public swimming tank during the monsoon. That would be a good test for the Duster both from a underbody scrape (at the approach/departure angle) and from water wading perspective during rains.
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I use the best vehicle during the rains. No scraping, no damage, pure adrenaline. In fact, the larger the crater, the more the fun. I go faster than ALL vehicles as the roads get worse. And voila, my trusted steed for 7 years to work:

4300_orangesilver.jpg

sorry guys for going OT, couldn't resist. :p But its the truth. Of course, its a wee bit different from the Avventura :smuggrin: