1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The red endangered Avventura

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    So I log on today to post my first ever new car ownership review. The Red Avventura came home today after a long wait of 2 months and 5 days. And I see the pathetic sales figure for Feb2015 posted by Fiat. For the life of me, I just do not fathom why people hate this brand so much that they don't touch it with a barge pole. But I fear not, for I have something rare and exotic. It is a head turner and most of all, drives like a friggin dream.

The search for a car began from way back in Jun 2014. This car was to be the one for the long drives with family. The main car for our city drives are still to be the Maruti Zen mpfi which serves as a good workhorse but not a good mile cruncher for a family of 5. We nearly booked the Grande Punto 90HP when we say the news that the Evo was coming out. So we decided to wait.

Meanwhile, the Polo 1.5 TDi was launched. We nearly booked the Polo 1.5 TDi but seeing the new Punto Evo, we took a TD of it and came away completely confused as the Punto still drove with heart. Finally, with a heavy heart my wife agreed on the Punto. When we went to check the colors in the flesh, the Avventura stood in the showroom grinning at us. My wife loved it at first go and we booked a TD which happened the very next day. Needless to say, the ECU remap in the Avventura was much better than the Punto and the high seating position was very comfortable for my wife. I too loved the ride and its higher GC. We booked it on 31-Dec-14 and multiple delays by the dealer caused it to come after 2 months.

No harm, no foul. I live in the Banjara Hills area of Hyderabad which offer some wonderful undulating roads that rise and fall due to the hills. These roads are pure driving pleasure as turns come quickly before you know it. Sharp 90 degree turns at some places. Having taken out the Avventura tonight for a nice 30 km ride, I can confidently say as I type now that the drive was one of the most pleasurable in a long long time. Throwing this car around corners was so much fun. The steering is so precise that it is almost telepathic. And those suspensions, those lovely suspensions soaked in every single pothole with aplomb.

Why? Why don't Indians look at Fiat? Today's Feb15 sales saddens me. Things are going from bad to worse for Fiat. A few but large mistakes of the past seem to be eating them up. And to only think that the most successful car companies in India use Fiat engines to shore up sales is such an irony. Talk about the power of a brand.

However I digress. Back to the Avvy. I don't care for the Blue & Me because I don't want my car to have my contacts list. The stereo system is fine as it plays from an USB drive which is all I need. The AC works great. The motorised side mirrors are good. The height adjustment for the seat belts is awesome as my wife and I will be driving and they serve both of us well. The split seats are just what we need when transporting luggage.

The car has control. I have not experienced such confidence in the ubiquitous i20 or in any Maruti car. This car has character. It is finicky yet charismatic. Removing the rear wheel external cover is a herculean effort. I made the showroom staff open the rear wheel cover for me during the demo today. It took 3 of them to open it and show me the wheel. So if a wheel gets punctured on the highway, I may need a chainsaw to cut open the cover and take out the wheel. Like I said, classic Italian disdain.

But all that is forgotten as the roll on times of the car and its linear acceleration steal the limelight. There is no doubt that I have picked up a brand which is a legend in driving. But alas, I also pray that this brand lasts long enough in this idiosyncratic country where herd mentality rules the roost. Hopefully another 10 years so that I can get service and spares? God bless Fiat's fight in India.
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

What title! So apt! What car! Total drool maal :) very nicely written.. Happy driving in the Avvy! We definitely want to see more pics of the red beauty. I am really fond of the new tail lamps on evo and Avventura.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations for the Avventura @Vidhyashankar Kannan !
    Loved the write up but please post few more pics of the beauty.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan

Your car is worth a 'mamma mia' alright! Wise yet deeply felt write-up, too, here's hoping for the best for you (and the rest of us) as Fiat's tough, struggled India story moves to its next, decisive?, chapter!

congrats, enjoy, and accept some of my envy, pleeesss.
  5. bharath

bharath Regolare

What else to say ! The write-up is unmistakenly a Fiatian..All our Fiats will become endangered just like Padmini :p

Yours is exotic :cigar: ! Looks like it has taken a blood bath ! This is cruel to show us with just a single picture :arghh:.
    Bala, 5u3zEr0, sandipan_r15 and 3 others like this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Red avvey looks fabulous.. Congrats.. And wish you happy miles..
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you Gentlemen for all your warm wishes. Honestly, the red car is so imposing with the black attenuations that everyone in my building, far away friends, neighbours have been ogling at it. Passersby came, gaped with their mouths open and walked away looking back continuously. And almost everyone asked the same question "The car is sooooooo good. How will you manage with the poor service centres?" That was followed by a 2 minute frustrated lecture from me explaning how Fiat's service is so good now that no one other manufacturer even offers the same 5 year warranty. They couldn't believe Fiat's service was good.

Honestly guys, we have been going back and forth so much in frustration seeing bling manufacturers doing so well. I have brought the car to office just for today to show my staff. I am a cyclist and cycle to office everyday. So the car appearing in my building has had security guards, building management and staff crowding around it because they know I won't bring it back again :). It just makes me wonder why, why for Lord's sake do people not believe in this brand when it is just so good. Sigh.
    rejin_r, Bala, 5u3zEr0 and 10 others like this.
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Red Avvy looks Fantastico !!!

Congratulations on your new drive. and wish you long miles and everlasting smiles .

Please keep using your car for all your trips :) . All the attention your car is getting, may rub off with more people going for Fiat.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Red Avventura looks awesome and it is best color for Avvy.

Congratulations for new Avvy.
  10. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Finally !!!! the car arrived & your patience pays :) . Congratulations Buddy , looking forward to see the Avvy in flesh in the next Hyderabad meet. The writeup is apt and as mentioned by bharat shows your love & concern towards FIAT. Well Iam new to the FIAT family and looking forward to develop the same kind of bond towards the car & brand like many have on this forum.People appreciate FIAT for all the right reasons but their well known previous reputation keeps masses away to an extent that more than 90% of the people looking for a new car do not even have FIAT in their option list for a TD. Sad but true.

Wish you Many Many Happy Miles ahead mate.