1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Red baby Punter

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sakartechin, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Everybody
    So here goes my Punto MJD the baby punter buying and ownership experience.Previous to Punto I had ALTO LXi which done a decent job and served all my purpose. Alto LXi was my first car the requirement was to fit in 3 lakh rupees budget and fit 4 people inside it. As a learner I enjoyed driving this car. I clocked 26000km in less than 2.5 years.

Now I got transferred to Bangalore from Chennai, Monthly once I travel either Chennai or Trichy. With ALTO burning petrol every month and also don’t think it’s quite safe on highway. So I planned for a CAR upgrade.

My Requirement:

1. Diesel CAR because of growing petrol prices and monthly one highway trip. ~40 km Daily city ride and 800 ~ 1000 km highway monthly.
    2. Safety Features are must ABS and Airbags.
    3. Fit the budget 8 ~ 8.5 L.
    4. Good sporty looks never think of an upgrade in next 5 years.
    5. Decent boot space.

With all my requirements and with the budget of 8.5 Lakhs max I checked and test drove few cars.

Swift Dzire
    Pros: Excellent Drivability, Nice looks, Sporty finish, Multijet Engine, Maruti’s excellent service
    Cons: Very little boot space 320 liters, Rear passengers comfort is a question, very 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] car in the road is a swift, I don’t want to drive one among them, budget shoots to 8.9.

Etios
    Pros : Entering into the car you see lot of space, huge boot 590 liter , low maintenance, Toyota A.S.S
    Cons: Outdated plain vanilla design, 1.4 liter diesel doesn’t give a punch, Chauffer feel when you sit on driver seat, on road price comes to 8.9Lakhs for GD version with ABS and airbags. But still you have to buy few accessories to make the car stand out from cabs. I would definitely think of an upgrade in a couple years owning it.

Ecosport Mid Variant
    Pros: Nice exterior design, good engine,
    Cons: Waiting period more than 6 months, inside gives you a small car feel. The variant with ABS and airbags cost around 9.0L.

i20 Sportz
    Pros: Loads of features, Good Design ,DRL electric folded mirrors. Features in luxury sedan.
    Cons: Very High on road pricing comes to 8.8 lakhs for this segment, turbo lag, light steering and in sportz version no passenger airbag.

Punto
    Pros: More refined engine in the segment. You Get alloy wheels, ABS, Airbags, Automatic climate control and Blue&ME for 7.8 lakhs, 280 liter boot space highest in the segment. Thanks to new grey fabric seat covers, gives a feel of good rear leg room space.
    Cons: I don’t see any.

Buying Experience
    I have almost decided to go for punto. I have heard the experience from my friends circle. I visited KHT motors fiat caffe in domlur Bangalore. The SE explained the features and we got a test drive. The moment I test drive it; I felt this is the car. Excellent drive ability and handling. I did a test drive it for a 10 KM in Bangalore city traffic. I got a short stretch to drive in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gears it really did well. I was totally convinced. SE asked me to change from 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] to 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in a 30 KM speed. I told him engine would stop, but to my surprise there was a very minimal lag and engine still kicked off.

I was totally happy with the test drive. I have decided to go with 75bhp comes a lakh less than my budget with all features. I am not a great enthusiast so didn’t go for 90bhp. We discussed on the pricing the list price came to 8.67 L and now comes the discount part.
    Ex-showroom – 7,13,000
    Discount – 45000
    Corporate Discount – 3000
    Cash Discount – 20000
    Exshowroom after discount 6,45,000
    Road tax – 1,10,953
    I opted for car lease so insurance taken care by the leasing company. With all discounts the onroad price comes down to 7.63Lakh.

Accessories
    Decided to go with the fabric mats with chrome door sill and mud guard used in punto sports. The red stitching on the mat gives real premium feel and the punto sport badge in fabric mat. Reverse parking was committed from the SE as part of the deal. Color selection I want to go with the white , I am fan of bosa nova white know only pearl white availabe next option for me was grey which is again stopped. Finally I left it to my wife she opted for RED. I had some doubts how appealing a red could be. Once all paper work is done it took around 10 days by the leasing company.

Finally the day has arrived the punto chassis was allocated , I spoke to the SE for predelivery check in stockyard.I fixed a appointment and reached the KHT stockyard near brookefiled. All vehicles are kept in open ground in rain and hot sun. These vehicles are standing for the right owner. I found mine it manufactured in july and found other one manufactured in august. I was requesting for to change my vechicle but the SE was reluctant to change. However the registration matters so decided go with the vechicle . The trip meter was 10kms and tyres are new no scratches found. One surprise last minute was SE said reverse parking would be separate meter will not come with the rear view mirror. If you need on the rear view mirror I should pay 1500/- more. I agreed to that I paid it.

Once I finialized the vechicle was sent to RTO and delivery day came. I decided to take it in a day light myself and my wife went to show room we saw Italian red beauty standing ribbon tied with accessories fitted. I was excited wanted to go for immediate long drive.

So I waited, the SE explained the manual, handed over the bills, but still found the accessory bill was missing he promised to give me later but I yet to get it. Despite all the checks while delivery I found a thin scratch on the front bonnet even after waxing, it was visible. I want to make the delivery smooth, so didn’t make a big issue. I know nothing much can be done. I verified all accessories was fitted properly. SE gave me a final demo. It hardly took me 2 – 3 hrs to take the delivery. I was expecting a liitle pooja from KHT motor side,it didn’t happen which was quite disappointing to me and they didn’t proper camera to capture the moment. I took it on the mobile camera.

Yeah finally I cranked the engine it gave a digital sound and it said I am ready. I like this sound every time I crank the engine.I thanked the SE for all his cooperation waved him bye. I crossed the road with my baby punto, definitely a head turner on the road.

Next day morning the first thing I took it to temple and did the pooja. Then took it to the 3M Car Care and did paint protection job for the new car. It really looked sexy, happy to select this color.:D

The Baby punto has done 700 KM's waiting for highway ride this weekend.Planning to hit bangalore-cheennai highway very excited.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now you got it washed and treated at 3M, take your car to some nice green place and shoot it from all angles, and share with us :).
    2 people like this.
  3. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Car found in stockyard, after pooja photo and 3M paint protection photo.
    IMAG0183.jpg IMAG0184.jpg IMAG0185.jpg IMAG0187.jpg IMAG0198.jpg IMAG0199.jpg
    4 people like this.
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats,
    Happy Puntoing
    1 person likes this.
  5. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Congratulations,Awesome pics & Brilliant review.Happy miles with ur Red Hot Punto.
  6. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Completed 1600 Km , last 900 KM covered in a highway weekend . Its was an awesome ride on my baby punter . Overtaking was a child's play. The engine responded very well love the car.
    the engine noise has very well come down. On the return it was heavy rain enjoyed the rain and the drive.

IMAG0205.jpg

Now its time for a car wash.
    2 people like this.
  7. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The baby punter has crossed 3700 km now getting ready for first service. Recently I had a trip to sringeri on last weekend

Route -Towards - > Bangalore - Hasan -Belur - Chikmangolre -Sringeri - 360 KM (approx)
    Return - > Sringeri - Chikamanglore - Hasan - Sharvanabelagola - Bangalore - 360 KM (approx)
    Total - 740 Km.
    Mileage 14.6 Kmpl

No issues thoroughly enjoyed the trip in all road conditions , will share the detailed trip shortly
  8. ASNM

ASNM Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Congratulations buddy. Punto will keep putting wide smiles on your face every time you drive.

Red looks awesome.

Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Drive Safe
    1 person likes this.
  9. sakartechin

sakartechin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do anybody have idea about the GPS systems comes in absolute version is that available for other versions too.?? Planning to get one.... Any reviews ?
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    You can get GPS system from a Fass or from online too.No idea about it much bro.I had also planned to get it last year but dad didnt agreed.Its gud & worth for its price.
    1 person likes this.