1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Punto 90 @ 15000 Kms

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by prash26np, Sep 28, 2011.

1. To start off with, it has been quite a journey of 15 k Kms and the second free service,
    All through the 15000 Kms, driving had and has always been a pleasure.

In this post, I would like to share my experiences
    Ist off, there is an incident that speaks volumes about the Punto's build quality and stability
    Some time in July 11, i was on my way back from Bangalore to Mysore, i was at a good speed between 130 and 140 Kmph.
    It was at about 9.00 PM and dark as usual, we just crossed Mandya town, and i picked up speed as i said.
    Then all on a sudden at about 10 feet from my visibility a road hump appeared from nowhere ( road hump with no white strips, just as plain as the road, - for the information of readers and drivers of this road, these humps are put by the villagers so that they can cross these roads safely or leisurely thereby creating a huge safety hazard for motorists on the road), i was just shocked and applied brakes, fully knowing, i cant slow the vehicle for a slow passing and also i have a belief (I may be wrong on this one),
    --that any car or bike should not be passed over a road hump or a pot hole with brakes applied, the reason being when brakes are applied, there is already a load on the suspension, letting the vehicle on the humps or the pot hole on a loaded suspension would damage the suspension. --
    so i released the brakes just before the humps, bracing myself for some kind of mishap, the punto went over the hump at about 130 kmph and i could feel the vehicle being in the air nose up for a couple of seconds, and then the punto landed. this is the most crucial part, because most other cars would lose balance and swirl on the road, but the punto, WOW!, landed with no qualms, safely, not even a single twitch or swirl, just straight and moved on ahead. i stopped the vehicle and thanked my gods as even my family was with me. thanked Fiat such a car.
    Reached home with no other issues with a more moderate driving speed.
    the next morning checked for any oil leakages due to the impact the previous day, nothing and went on the start the car, i start getting a message on the MID, "Insufficient Engine Oil pressure, kill engine immediately" i was shocked, numbed and what not. i called fiat helpline, they promised they will be there by 9.00 AM, it was probably one of the longest hours in my life
    they did come at 9.00 Am and checked the vehicle, the engine oil was ok, they wanted to take the vehicle for further checking.
    At the workshop they checked the ECU for any error codes found none.
    After mounting the vehicle, they found that the engine oil sump had taken a Hit and adviced me to change it, which i did @ 1650 INR

But after this change, there has been a consistent leak in the engine oil, with a drop or two every day, have got it checked from the service centre thrice, they say it has been fixed, but the leakage has not stopped.
    the last time i went under the car and showed them, the installation of the new sump may have defective, and could be a problem of the sealant not being applied properly, yet it continues to leak a drop or two for an all night stand

It does look like, i will have to spend a day in the service centre to rectify this issue.

Also now about the second service.

It was done at 15300 kms, the car was nicely washed and cleaned, the issues addressed by me were mostly cleared, but some were left hanging. like there is an in cabin knocking noise. smaller things like that.

however the car is very smooth after the second service
    the mileage has improved a lot.
    earlier i used to get about 15 kmpl on mixed city and highway driving with AC
    Now for the same above parameters, i get 17.5 kmpl

That 's good actually.

the service costed me about 4400 INR
    oil change
    oil filter change
    fuel filter change

A much detailed review will follow soon.

iphone 166.jpg
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Prashanth thats was a sad story.... you lost your cars oil sump. Wish you happy motoring.

I noticed that you changed your cars alloys can you please upload some pics of alloys.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Hey Prashanth.. nicely written experience. did the oil sump leakage get rectified in the second service? Pls do post some pics and details of ur alloys
  4. Thanks Shams & Kedarbendre,
    please refer to this post http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/sho...ian-stallion-is-coming-home&p=30354#post30354
    for the alloys pictures and details

the alloys are 98PCD - from AVA
    set of 5 costed me 25000 INR
    Got them exchanged for the stock alloys before delivery
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay thats nice alloys....looking awsome on Punto :)
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Excellent write up and feels great to see more and more fiatians having wonderful experiences.

Harmony & chaos