1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The NGT directives - Banning 15 year old petrol cars

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The news today regarding the banning of 10 year old Diesel and 15 year old Petrol cars is worrying. What will happen to all the Palios in Delhi? Especially those in pristine running condition? This is another example of a draconian rule being implemented.

So all BMWs and Audis that are running perfectly need to be scrapped? I think the government needs to think this through as it can have far reaching consequences of car sales. No one will want to spend on a car of choice now as they know they cannot hold it for over 15 years. And second hand rates will crumble. Though I don't think this will go through, if any of you have any further information, that would be great.
    asimpleson likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    As you know the number of cars in Delhi is much more than the combined number of Mumbai, Kolkatta and Chennai. Also the pollution is soaring high even after introducing CNG in all public vehicles. I guess this is just a filter that Delhi government has put so as to bring down both.
    asimpleson likes this.
  3. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Yes, but the filter has to start at the point of pollution, not a blanket case where you throw the baby out with the bath water.

If the pollution levels are bad, then the effluents and gases need to be strictly checked and enforced. And what about the infamous blueline buses? They all bellow out smoke. Instead of stopping them, it is ridiculous to just say no to all vehicles. There are people who ride 3000 kms a year. That means 45000 kms in 15 years. Those cars will be good to go for another 15 years if maintained well.

And why would anyone now spend a crore to get a Jag or a BMW. I would rather buy a Nano for 1.5 lakhs, screw the hell out of it and throw it away after 5 years. Even buying a car for 7 lakhs means nearly 50000 a year towards book depreciation.

Besides this, disposing of cars will become a very big hassle as there are no proper graveyards anywhere in India. There should be logical way to get around pollution rather than saying no old cars. And what about the classics and vintage cars then?

And there are people who spoil their cars within 5 years. What about them? What about all the autorickshaws who adulterate their petrol with kerosene that causes all that heavy white smoke?
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Time to head to delhi for car hunt.. some classic 80s and 90s evergreen germans and japs. unfortunately no good old and best italians are there in india !!
    remembering the time when maruti omni was banned in delhi, people from all over flocked to buy for dirt cheap prices !!
    fiatlover likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I agree with most of your points but all the public vehicles in Delhi run on CNG (with the exception of private cabs)...from auto rickshaws to blue line buses which are on their way to extinction and are getting/have been replaced by Tata low floor buses.

So here the deal is with private cars ( diesel + petrol)and cabs (like MERU, UBER) that run on diesel.

I also feel that this shouldn't be one size fits all kind of a rule but this is what happens when the numbers are high, you tend to ignore a small subset.

BTW has this rule already been adopted?
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Heavy vehicles are the biggest polluters. I heard in city like Bangalore (I am sure Delhi is no different) air pollution peaks during night time too. Why? Lot of heavy vehicles bringing in supplies to the city are the culprit. They all run on diesel. They are the heavy polluters. Instead of a blanket ban it is better to enforce strict checks and impose heavy penalty if found guilty. Cost of this operation should be recovered by imposing a surcharge on fuel. That will make fuel more expensive causing many to reduce vehicle usage - which causes less pollution. If needed impose some kind of entry fee for private vehicles to make it expensive to run them inside the city. That way people will get a chance to keep their vehicles and run them if their pocket can take that load. A blanket ban is a very bad idea. However, it will bring in lot of revenues in the form of registration fee and other taxes. Probably that is the target of the government, not pollution!
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Taxes for a new vehicle in Delhi are the least to start with. its almost 15% - cheaper than states like Karnataka,
    even the Fuel (Petrol & Diesel ) are the cheapest. So no wonder that there are so many cars in Delhi and trying to control the pollution by enforcing the age of the vehicle is not justified.

I just hope this ban does not get implemented instead, the Fitness certificate test for the older cars (>15 years) becomes bit more stringent with pollution/emission checks and the permissible levels of emissions be atleast some benchmark like Euro I,II or Bharth I,II even for older vehicles.

This might fail the badly tuned/badly maintained vehicles. who have to tune/repair/upgrade the old polluting systems with newer technology.