1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Layman's Perspective: So, why is every engine turbocharged nowadays?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gurjinder, Aug 5, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Great read Gurjinder. Very informative. One day as the volume increases all this exotic tech would come to the basic cars and will also the music that 458 gives. :)
  2. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    The TJet indeed has a turbo lag. Nothing happens till you are below 1700 rpm. After that it just takes off.
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.
  3. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Can anyone say me what is turbo whistle? I test rode fiat linea T-Jet but couldnt appreciate that sweet note. I own a Vista Quadrajet but never appreciated that..
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Just the sound of the turbo spooling up, spinning like insanity. You don't hear it on the new Linea T-jet but could sometimes hear it on the previous avatar of the t-jet, or so i have been told by an owner of that Linea avatar.

Turbo 'lag' is only relative to max torque at higher but not too high rpm-s, it is not absolute. So no, the T-jet DOES have decent torque when starting from standstill, and then once you hit 1600-1700 rpm...

The trick of course is to keep it in the turbo band. Not hard at all i feel on the T-jet, or even the 75 hp mjd Punto, or the 90 hp mjd Linea. I do not quite agree with the loud complaining that accompanies 'turbo lag' on the latter engines.
    vish_al likes this.
  5. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, as the Fiat Multijet 1.3L 75PS engine is turbocharged, should we practice idling for 30 seconds to 1 minute before turning it off, to prevent damage to turbocharger? Nothing mentioned in Punto's handbook, but it is there in DZire's handbook! Both use same engine :eek:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  6. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

>>should we practice idling for 30 seconds to 1 minute before turning it off

We must practice it for longer life of turbo
    renlouis likes this.
  7. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    @renlouis - its mentioned for Tjet, please check , it would be there for Punto's too. Moreover, mentioned or not it should be praticed religiously.:)
    renlouis likes this.
  8. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes mate. Finally I found it mentioned indirectly, in Punto's handbook..
    After a taxing drive, you
    should allow the engine to “catch its
    breath” before turning it off by letting it
    idle to allow the temperature in the engine
    compartment to fall."
    pabhishek likes this.