1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Layman's Perspective :So, what exactly is turbo "boost" ?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gurjinder, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Waste gate is present mainly on a Fixed Geometry turbo which can control the boost mechanically only. On a variable geometry turbo the boost is controlled electronically via a boost solenoid which is vacuum actuated.

Boost cannot be termed as a surge which you get at 2200.
    I would define Boost as an aide to push/compress more air for breathing/combustion. It acts as a catalyst.
    3 people like this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Further more boost translates to more power and a more efficient burn. But does not necessarily translate to more fuel efficiency. It contributes more of combustion and in effect more power, but can have inverse effect on fuel efficiency for the most part. Atmost the pulling power and driveability (fun) is improved in response to throttle.

An UNO D (non-turbo) has more predictable FE figures than a Turbo version of the same in a Siena D. The lag is insane and unpractical in city driving conditions unless you can manage to keep it in third while coping with the traffic.
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    A turbo gives better efficiency. For extracting X amount of power the NA engine will require to dump more fuel than a Turbo engine.
    1 person likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    As the fuel dumped is increased along with turbo boost at air intake contributing to efficient burn and more power. Fuel efficiency is not necessarily guaranteed since fuel pumped during turbo is also more due to increased throttle. Response is higher to throttle due to extra power delivery.

Fuel efficiency will be good on turbo than a NA combined with more power and better acceleration/pulling power, if the car and engine can maintain speed and RPM within certain range, depending on road and engine capacity.

It's the subtle difference that I am pointing towards.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    I dont quite understand what you are saying above but i will explain in simple words.

@ 1750 rpm the NA engine consumes X amount of fuel and gives say 90-100 nm torque
    @ 1750 rpm the Turno engine consumes same X amount of fuel and gives 209 nm torque.

I hope its as simple as it can get.
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is no denying the facts stated by you except the fuel efficiency gain factors which I have tried to explain. I think we are on the same page as far as benefits of Turbo are concerned, besides the point.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Rightly explained by Italia-Linea. But in technical language.
    He explained torque difference between NA & turbocharged engine.

In turbocharged engine,additional compressed air is supplied in inlet manifold & combustion chamber.

More compressed air = more powerful power stroke.
    More strong power stroke = more torque.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I feel my punto more powerful during the first ignition of the day and when on move feels more fast at lower gears without giving much accel pedal.Why so ?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    How is the fuel efficiency and driveability normally? If FE is fine and engine has normal amount of vibrations etc. no need to worry.
    Alternatively, get the car checked with examiner for fault codes if any and ask the SA to check engine timing.
    I am not sure of ECU parameter reset, and how much it can help.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Does turbo aids Fuel efficiency ? Does it operate on different air fuel ratio?