1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Layman's Perspective: Remapping

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gurjinder, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Check out the "final driveability ranking of the cars" in that same thread. The Punto is ranked 3rd there. Personally I would assign more weightage to the in-gear times as opposed to the 0-100 times. Even the TJet does not have the fastest 0-100 time in it's segment , it's slower than the City. But I'd rather be driving at 100 kmph in a Fiat (Punto/Linea) and not in a City :)
    Ashpalio and 5u3zEr0 like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, let's keep the discussion related solely to aspects of Remapping.

For discussing performance of the 1.3 vis-a-vis others, we already have appropriate threads. :)

Cheers.
  3. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Agreed Gurjinder. :) Let me ask this about remapping : What is the available tolerance in Fiat's internals (clutch/transmission etc.) as far as remapping is concerned i.e. what kind of gains (in terms of hp/nm %) can we realistically look at with the stock internals...
  4. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    In some of thread, I read, Mr. KartikK (dont remeber exactly) remapped his car & on his first attempt they felt the NVH is decreased like petrol car or something. later they tried to increase the BHP & Torque.

If they get the same Italian elecctronics remapped & found smoother performance then there is something with Stock MAPPING. making crazy, considering that Italians are little rude to suggestions & least bothered to make an improvement on an Indian Punto ?

If the response of engine go smoother within the power limit, heart says something is good in remapping, only as suggested by Gurji ( GuruJi ) should not go for higher torque to bhps :)
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    In the aspect to remapping, do they use any fuse to implement this or is it just a direct change to the ECU?
  6. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    What kid of information you're looking for :

As far as I understand ECU remapping is :

There is flash drive inside the ECU, which stores curve data into digital format. According to this curve the Injectors injects (JETS ) the diesel into the engine at particular time and/or multiple (MULTIJET ) times in a cycle.

Dont know much about taking backup or memory limitation inside the ECU. but it is like storing data on a pen drive or SD card kind of devices.

Your mean with "FUSE" is old data backup ( if something goes wrong during process can be restored ) or you're concerned with ECU connector buffers ( frontend Electronics inside ECU) failure during the mapping procedure. ???:rolleyes::shy:
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I have no idea Parantap. There really is only one way to find out. Tune it till it breaks. That is the way people have been finding the limits of the various components while modifying since times immemorial e.g. In the R35 GTR tuners found out that the factory connecting rods were good enough till something like 800Nm torque and would give up after that. How was it found - When tuners exceeded that and found themselves with a blown engine. That is the way everyone learns, truth be told. You have to reach and exceed limits to know them.

Having said all that, people do tend to run these remapped engines for lots and lots of km's if the tune is safe.

In the case of the T-jet you have it running 150bhp in other markets such as Turkey or Brazil etc. If the engine block is the same, then a case can be made out to tune the Indian T-Jet to near this figure. But then you have to see if everything else (turbo,cylinder head etc) is the same as the 150bhp T-jet or not.

Cheers.
  8. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Does adding a cold air intake increases the performance? How come K&N, BMC airfilters claim to increase the performance?
  9. rakaman

rakaman Timido

mumbai
    hi
    This very informative information.I have had my Linea MTJ (1.3) tuned and gone from 90 ps to 108 ps and its been 3 yrs and the car has been running very well. Unlike the stock performance the car runs very well and the turbo lag is almost gone and can feel the power .Yes mileage has reduced when driven at high speeds but when driven normally or on average speeds the mileage is not lost.
    I have been servicing the vehicle regularly and had even changed my tyres from 190/60 15 to 205/60 15 and the grip on the car was wonderful but now i back to 190/65 15 and can feel the difference .
    Overall once the ecu was remapped i have enjoyed the drive and even touched 195 km/hr(max) and previous to remap it was 160 km/hr
    0-100 ----13 sec
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @gurjinder paaji,
    A salute and a big bow to your efforts in making the most discussed subject on the forum in layman terms. Thanks a ton for that.

One question though, what stops the manufacturer in creating the conditions which a reamapper can do later? Also how does the remapper access critical information such as EGT which is generally in manufacturer's books?

Keep the information coming.