1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Ill F(i)ated Company

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by kedarbendre, Nov 4, 2011.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    It hurts badly when something that you have painstakingly developed and perfected over the years is not fetching the desired results. It’s just all the more indignant when somebody else is reaping the benefits for the same. That is exactly how Fiat would be feeling right now as the Italian automaker’s streak of misfortunes in India seems to just go on and on. How else then can we explain the falling sales and market-share of Fiat in a growing market like India?​
    Try chewing this fact, Fiat sold a total of 600 odd units in October 2011, a figure that includes not one, but all its models. That is shockingly low for a company that has a very rich heritage in India dating back to the post-independence era. Also, the models in their current Indian lineup are amongst the best in their respective segments. Above all, Fiat designed and developed a gem of an engine that acts as a savior for two other automobile manufacturers in India.

Widely nicknamed as “India’s National Engine” by the enthusiasts, Fiat’s now-famous 1.3L Multi-Jet Diesel (MJD) was actually designed to power the Grande Punto and Linea, among other models in the international Fiat stable. While Tata, with its Indica Vista and Indigo Manza and Maruti-Suzuki, with its Swift, Dzire and Ritz are laughing all the way to the bank because of this very engine doing excellent duty under the hood of those vehicles, Fiat is just trundling along posting modest numbers.
    Forget everything else including the best-in-class looks, ride and handling that all Fiat models in India possesses, the company doesn’t deserve to fare so poorly just for having developed this engine, given that it has now attained a cult status. Even newer variants like Punto 90HP and Linea T-Jet failed to improve the sales and Fiat is now slowly being consigned as a fringe player in India. If two great models, a gem of a diesel engine and a not-so-rewarding partnership with Tata for sales and service could not do the trick for Fiat, we seriously do not know what else will.

Agreed, the interiors are not a patch on the segment leaders and the service is still sub-par, with or without Tata taking them in their fold. Still, we think that Fiat has done enough to command more respect and sales. But, is anybody even ready to listen to them? We are really afraid time is running out for Fiat and they don’t seem to have many tricks up their sleeve to bounce back in India. The message is clear. They simply cannot afford to lose a market share that is already almost non-existent.

Post comments guys.

Here is the link
  2. I just hope something positive happens to FIAT's FATE in India.. What FIAT has to do is spend a fortune on TV and Billboard ads!! If I were Mr.Sanjeev Kapoor, I would have given the below taglines for the FIAT advertisements:

1. "Technology ours, future yours!!"
    2. "Tuning the engine better will only make people a Mechanic and NOT a Car-Maker"
    3. "Do you hear the FIAT THUD?? 20kmpl (or whatever GP 1.3s ARAI is) without making a compromise in the quality of the Body!!"
    4. "Theories can be proved wrong with facts - And a straight comparison to Swift's Kerb Weight and ARAI FE"
    5. "FIAT - We are NOT here to SHUTDOWN AGAIN!!" or "FIAT - We are here to STAY!!"
    6. "Customers First, Competitors NEXT!!"

They have just got to showcase more advantages of the GP and Linea over their respective immediate competitors!!
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

i think we should plan a huge team fiat meet like the ones we did for factory visit.

call the fiat factory people too, and plead them to advertise properly. if they are shying away we will give them ideas FREE OF COST.

i dont know what exactly people inside FIAT are doing. are they hatching eggs?
  5. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

@Kedar-You have written exactly what few thousands of FIAT fan are thinking.
    Its really very very sad to digest the sales figure of such beautiful cars. But i will blame both FIAT as well as Herd's mentality of our people.
    FIAT's efforts are very poor to come back in Market and I really don't understand why there are scarcity of wise people(only those who bought FIATs).
    Even though now overall performance of FIAT is good, still people are not turning up. Just wait and watch with fingers crossed....
    Hope new dedicated showrooms, service centers, Fiat Cafe's and consistent Advt campaign will help FIAT and slowly sales will start improving.
    But they have to carry the momentum and should put day n night efforts to fight back.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

I think they are hatching Dinosaurs eggs:mad:

7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am ready for Team FIAT Meet anytime. :)
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3

Why not have a grand All India TFI Meet?
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Guys, it'll be unfair to say FIAT didn't try. Compared to the first half of this year, the second has seen much more FIAT visibility in marketing,

But even that has proved inconsequential.

It's just too damn hard to convince people to think beyond the ''tried and tested'' formula it seems.

I agree with the comment posted by aerialsinthesky.

Especially a simple ''Here to stay'' billboard can go a long way in influencing opinions. Every prospective buyer has this thing on mind that FIAT is taking the first flight out of india the next morning.

10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

can we say with such minimal efforts that fiat did try? is this enough for a company sailing on a TITANIC ?

look at mahindra, nissan, volkswagen they are selling well, still they advertise so cleverly and continuously.

even a small kid can make a good ad for fiat, but they themselves arent putting much efforts into it.

nowdays it seems the fiat officials are also bugged up attending peoples complaints and have lost interest.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011