1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Hot Hatch - my PUNTO EVO DYNAMIC 1.2 F.I.R.E

Discussion in 'Punto 1.2 Fire' started by Daipayan Chattoraj, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Daipayan Chattoraj

Daipayan Chattoraj Timido

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Punto Evo 1.2
    It was 2012, when a friend of mine decided to buy a hatchback. As it was I was free, I test drove with him. We drove the beat, Figo and micra.
    I loved the Figo, with the sensible steering, space in offer. But only issue was the absence of quite a few goodies even in the top variant. My friend went ahead and bought the Beat and I started thinking about getting the Figo.
    A school friend of mine had just returned from Bangalore after a successful stint with Honda and was waiting to join Air India. Oneday during our regular discussion about cars (both of us share the same prem) he told me have you considered the GP.
    Although I did thought about the Punto and the Polo but at that time investing a lakh more for the base variant was not possible.
    Then late 2012 I got married and the plan of owning the Figo was kept in the upper shelf.
    However the Punto Bug had bitten me by then.
    Every time when we met we used to discuss how beautiful the Punto looks and how the NACP ratings are. How the swift got a fibre tank and a curb weight less than 100 kgs than a Punto et all. Our love for Punto was a topic of discussion for our other friends.I read a lot about cars and noone who drives a FIAT gave a bad rating. This loyalty was the driving force for my love.
    Cut to 2015 and a significant job change later, I was about to welcome a new member to our family. My baby girl.
    While my wife was pregnant my parent had been at our place in Kolkata and I had our Wagon R at my disposal. The need for a car was realised pretty soon and my wife who was against the idea of owning a car before a property suddenly gave me the green signal. The budget after a lot of deliberation was settled to 6lacs.
    Although I am a FIAT fan boy. ( My wife did knew that), but she liked the Amaze. Given our budget we could only afford the base of amaze in a white or silver. Rejected right away.
    Then the Jazz released on July 8th. So the choice was narrowed down to
    1. Punto
    2. I20
    3. Jazz
    4. Figo.
    5. Polo
    Didn't consider any maruti car for obvious reasons.
    Test drove all. In my opinion penning down the reasons for rejecting the last 4.
    5. Polo - although many like the look, I didn't find the ingress egress easy. I am 6 feet. It was very difficult.
    4. Figo- desperately needs a face lift and gen change.
    3. Jazz - awesome. Outside our budget. The colour sunset orange only comes from S variant. And in Kolkata its almost 7 lacs.
    2. I20 - looks amazing. But couldn't generate confidence while I was inside. Also I had hard time getting the perfect seating position.

So, its the Punto. Test drove it on 17th. Booked the same day. Finance cleared on 24th and now I am eagerly waiting for my HOT HATCH in red.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @Daipayan Chattoraj. Punto and in Red, awesome! Do share the pics once you get your hands on it. Please make sure to do a thorough PDI else some dealers take people for a ride. PDI check list is available on the TFI home page. Keep writing, updating.

After having castled by TJet, I was evaluating Punto 1.2[petrol] for a replacement of my Santro. I didn't negotiate properly as it's not time for me to buy it, but he was giving 15K upfront discount. I think I could easily manage free insurance too. Can you share the discounts you have offered?
  3. Daipayan Chattoraj

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Punto Evo 1.2
    The total discount I am getting is Rs.23k. Without any exchange
    So if you get insurance free plus the 15k which is 10k against a gift cheque and 5k against corporate (As I was told) it's a steal deal.
    BTW in Kolkata the registration and road tax is 41k.
    I am not sure about the PDI because I will be away for a training at Pune the next ten days.
    Although I have told them I will do the PDI but I feel it will be after the registration. It is due to me and I can't blame anybody because I need the car before 12th.
    Let's see.
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Daipayan Chattoraj, I would suggest take the car later then. There's nothing you could do [if it doesn't meet PDI requirements] once the car gets registered.
    Daipayan Chattoraj likes this.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Daipayan Chattoraj : Congrats on booking the hottest hatch in India!
    as rightly said by @Saket Sidana never miss on doing the PDI yourself. You can avoid dealer selling a demo or faulty car to you by doing a detailed PDI. If you are out of town then better delay the delivery. But I insist on doing a PDI yourself before the car is registered.
    Daipayan Chattoraj likes this.
  6. Daipayan Chattoraj

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Punto Evo 1.2
    I guess I'll defer the delivery date. Will have a word with Garodia on Monday
    Saket Sidana, Turbothinghy and Deepak like this.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Daipayan Chattoraj, good move. Just don't agree to any dealer conversation [more discounts, if offered] if he tries to assure you that there would be no problem, etc etc. Stick to this move, no matter what.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Daipayan Chattoraj : Brilliant decision Bro. Congrats on your Red Evo. It's a beautiful car with a sweet little engine that is quite underrated IMO.

Have a great ownership and yes as everyone said, please do a thorough PDI before paying the whole amount.

PS: A colleague of mine bought 1.2 Evo Dynamic for 5.75 lacs ONR in Pune after discounts. He also got somewhere the same amount of discount as you are getting.

Cheers!!
    Chirag Jain likes this.
  9. Daipayan Chattoraj

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Sadly I live in Kolkata and that attracts certain extra taxes.
    On road after discounts is6.22 lacs
    Sad I don't stay at Pune
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Actually the Fiat plant at Ranjangaon is just 60 kms from Pune, so that does bring down the cost. Also my colleague had bought 5-6 months ago.