1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The horn upgrade query thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pammuluvcars, May 12, 2011.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    OEM horn is good enough for normal driving.
    If anybody want something better have a look at Hella Red Grill Supertone. Most irritating and loud horn I have heard apart from air/pressure horns.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    YES. OEM horns in Linea are very very good & effective. Never thought of changing them :) (And I'm very particular about horns as I NEED effective horns to supplement my driving & habits of frequent defensive honking)
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Can someone please clarify these things for me..

1)The new puntos-Are they coming with single horn or it's just the active & dynamic variant ?
    2) Heard that the new horns are not of the make Hella. They sound like the Indicas :). Any idea ?
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Cinju : my Active came with only one horn. The make is Hella, but the horn is not to my taste - sound is very feeble. Need to open the grill\bumper to see of they have the wiring for one more horn (like in the case of my Vista TDi). If they have given the wiring, then it is a simple job - otherwise, need to find a way to use the OEM connector to connect to a relay and from there, we have to do fresh wiring for two horns.
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Ohkk..Thanx Anoop for the clarification. Any new(bought in a month or two) Emotion or Emotion pk users who can clarify this whether they have got single or dual horns please.
  6. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Done with my horn issue and fixed bosch symphony(skoda type) today . total damage to pocket : 600 for horn and 200 labour !!!! fixed without adding additional relay as it was working perfectly alright with this set up.
    There is some kind of satisfactory feeling after this .. sounds luxurious too ! (may be because even beemers n mercs hav the same kinda horn :p )
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Did I ever tell you how much i dislike the puny horn which Fiat gave with Jai? The anemic horn is one of the first things I wanted to throw out - I gathered from different threads that Punto used to come with twin horns but from 2011, they have done some cost cutting and the Active model comes with a single Hella 'Popular' horn. Now, for a guy who uses Hella Redgrill on his Unicorn, this single horn is as unimpressive as they can get.

This week, we were out at Reliance mall and while LOH was happily browsing through the apparels section, I slipped away and started browsing the Reliance Autozone and thought a pair of Hella Silver horn will make an ideal gift to Jai. After clicking couple of pics of some other bottles (not THAT kind of bottles which we men of stronger soul usually lust after, but the automobile equivalent of Olay and Garnier and all that stuff you get to see in your bathroom, if you are that kind of bloke who got yourself married to a PYT) I managed to extract myself with some dignity (of course, after paying the amount and all that) before the sales chap decided to kick me out for disturbing his daydreams.

Took Jai to a neighborhood workshop and got a quote for fixing those lovely silver disks - but being a Saturday, they were already full and wanted to come back on Monday and they want me to drop Jai and collect him after three hours - now, i was ok with the high estimate and everything but 'the dropping him to get things fixed' part - if they want to open him and fix the horns, better they do it when I stand there.

Came home and the DIY keeda started gnawing me - 250 rs for bumper removing and fixing it back, and 250 rs for fixing a horn, which you can even do in your sleep plus all the wire, relay etc on actuals - no wonder these workshops are mushrooming and I am sure they are making a neat packet.

Opened up my tool kit and after rummaging a bit, I got what all I needed - hella horn relay, couple of spade connectors and lots of wire and insulation tape. Armed with some DIY horn fixing gyaan from some other forums, I started opening up the front grill of Jai - I managed to pry open the grill, but the size 8 nut was proving to be a tough nut to crack, so after some futile attempts, i took Jai to the FNM (Friendly Neighborhood Mechanic) and asked him to open up the bumper for me. once we removed the bumper, I started working on fixing the horns - he was amused to see me pulling out all the tools and sitting down to get the horns fixed, and during some small talk told me that I am the first car owner he have seen really working on the car, after taking the car to a workshop.

I was almost hoping that I will find the wiring for the second horn tucked away, and FIAT did not disappoint me - when the bumper was removed, I saw the wiring for one more horn neatly taped and tucked away. Fixed both the horns and was back home in about an hour with a mighty pleased Jai.

Tech specs:

Name: Hella Silver Horn
    Current consumption : 6 Amp (Max)
    Frequency: 335 Hz/400 Hz
    Sound pressure : 117dB
    price: 675 INR @ Reliance autozone, Arekere.

Some WIP pics:

IMG00103-20110625-1551.jpg

IMG00104-20110625-1557.jpg

IMG00101-20110625-1546.jpg

IMG00102-20110625-1547.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  8. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I got Minda Trumpet installed yesterday..... Dent of 500 bucks.. but it is awesome..
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I liked Polo/Ventos horns. What will be price for that kind of horn? Which is the good brand?
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

@kedar: you have lot of options - you can choose from Roots windtone, Bosch symphony, hella trumphet, Hella fabulous or my personal favorite - the Stebel TM 80 Magnum. I think hella horns are the costliest among the lot. AFAIK, you will get roots and bosch for 500-600 and TM80 cost me around 700 when I brought it couple of years back.
    One word of caution - when you install the trumpet kind of horns, please make sure that it is installed in such a way that the water spray will not enter inside the horn through the opening.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011