1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The horn upgrade query thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pammuluvcars, May 12, 2011.

1. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    If using high amp horn, better to use a relay than to use the existing wiring. Also, no need to cut any existing wiring, buy 2 pin plastic couplers (male/female) and make your own wiring from relay to horn and old wires should go to relay.

You can get plastic couplers like these ones 51jkymoFH4L._SY355_.jpg
    Based on pin requirement get them and create your own plug-n-play wiring system.

Use 5 point relay for horns:
    horn_relay_JL_2A_4pin_5pin_634571102943997082_1.JPG
  2. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @SanketGajane

Guess, Punto has already got a relay for its dual horn setup.
    Can some body confirm its presence and location
    Do you have any other pics of the above coupler with its pins. It will be easy for me to show it to the shopkeeper to make him understand.
    Also, how do we send old wires to the relay, as the coupler can't be fixed on a relay.
    Do we need to remove the coupler and use its wires by crimping female clips.

The relay in the pic is SPDT and where/how 87a is used in horn circuit.
  3. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Maddy79
    Good that the Punto has relay for dual horn setup :happy:
    You shd check the amp rating for that relay then to make sure that the new horns which you fix do not blow the relay or fuse......that shd be a safe bet

I do not have a pic of coupler with it's pin, but here in Mumbai you get these plastic couplers based on number of pins.
    You should get the male and female plastic couplers first.
    Buy a couple dozen horn clips male/female set.
    The clips will fit into the couplers one way, once fit it cannot be removed unless you depress the plastic toungue it has inside.
    (Much like the cable ties that we use...the tongue mechanism)
    Using the male/female horn clips fit into the plastic couples you can create any wiring harness DIY :)

Have created one for my motorcycle, will try to post a pic of it soon.

You get a separate coupler for 4/5 point relay!
    87 goes to Horn1 87a goes to Horn2

Pardon my drawing skills :banghead:
    HornWiring.png
  4. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @SanketGajane
    I got those male & female clips and insulate them with PVC tape for my recent DIY.
    True that, couplers are any time safe bet.we dont have to worry about pins popping out and get short circuit.
    Will look out for such plastic couplers for sure.

If I am not wrong ,most of the relays used in the car are rated with min of 20 Amps and above.
    Most of the horn sets (High & low) available in the market have a load rating of min 5 Amps - 12 Amps,
    Need to check the horn relay & fuse in the car,ideally a 20 Amps relay & 15 Amps fuse should work fine.
    Got a spare 20 Amps micro relay with me, if the OE is found under rated, will swap then.

The drawing was good and understandable.
    But AFAIK, the difference between a SPDT (Single pole dual throw,5 pole ) & SPST (Single pole single throw,4 pole) relay is an extra pole marked as 87a. This pole is always hot/live, so it supplies power all time, except when the relay is triggered/energized.

According to your circuit,horn2 would always be ON and as soon as you strike the horn switch, 87a gets isolated and power pass through pole 87 ,making the horn1 sound alone.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Do post some pics, it helps either ways :).
  5. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    You are correct for the 87a part. It should be 87b which is the 5 point relay SPST :sorry:

Will post the pic of SPST 5 pole have it spare bosch make.
    Also, most relays used for Aftermarket horns are 30 amps rated.
    Just in case your new horn set has rating more than 10A better to use 30 amps relay, you can use fuse of a lower amps.
    In case of surge you might blow a fuse but not burn relay should work out cheap.

Also forgot to mention using fuse int he diagram- between +ve of battery and pole 30 :banghead:
  6. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Had a thought on how 4 horns would work.
    Created a sample Circuit, Experts kindly advice.
    Even a toggle switch can be added to sound either of the horn sets.

Quad Horn Circuit.jpg
  7. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    4 horns may be an overkill :)
    This same circuit with toggle switch is what is present in most T- permit cars which ply more on highways.

A nice clean diagram :cigar:
  8. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Here are the pics of the SPST 4 and 5 point relays:

DSC_0025.JPG

Black one is 5 point SPST, Bosch make
    Red one is SPST 4 point, got it with Stebel Nautilus Horn
  9. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bosch relay justifies your circuit.
    Where did you source Bosch relay, will this be available in automobile shops or only with Bosch dealers.
    In Hyderabad, most shops sell relays from a brand called "SUPER", they are quite popular.

BTW the horn OE micro relay in PUNTO/LINEA are of 20Amps and the after market (as shown in your pics) are Mini relays with 30Amps rating.Horn relay sits in the fuse box besides the battery.

The plan for 4 horns is because the new Denso dual horn set-up sounds sharp, but feel its reach is less.
    For past 1year got used to OE Hellas as they sound little harsh (jarring) both from inside/outside,tho the reach was good.
    So was thinking, by adding another set should sound sharper and increase the reach too. what say?
    Sounding all 4 together should be promising, as they aren't too loud or jarring like hella red grill or Roots Vibrosonic.

I drive the car mostly on highways and late nights to avoid both vehicle & human traffic. Trucks are the main issue,most of them either don't have tail lights & some times they are sleepy and drive like a snake changing lanes for no reason.
    So honking is the only way to alert/wake them up.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    The Bosch relay I got was from Bosch dealer here in Mumbai, it's been used for 6+ years now and it has 'Made in Portugal' on it's side.
    The local relays do their job but you never know when one gets fried.

I have used this on my motorcycle where it is exposed to all the elements and has survived all long rides from Leh to Kannyakumari :cigar:

Yes, the fuse box besides the battery has relays for horn, condesor fan, compressor etc.

4 Horns would be overkill because you would be draining lot of juice, besides the sound pollution.

Buy a Stebel Nautilus and use toggle switch. City use the regular one and highways switch to Nautilus, I bet you would wake up the people in the nearby villages too :)