1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The horn upgrade query thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pammuluvcars, May 12, 2011.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As far as i can remember there are two of these not just one. The one further away from the Wheel is the toughest one to work with.

Nope

That is the only way :) From the top.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Check image for location of screw in wheel well

Fiat_Grande_Punto_20090906_front.JPG
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vIjAy_kHaSa - You sure its T45 ? I am sure i used T30 to open it and also remember not keeping them seperately but along with the 4 from top and 4 from bottom of bumper. The location is perfectly marked out. Thanks
  4. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @Maddy79 I have the Hella AP incharge number. You can contact him for Hyderabad dealer/distributor or you can ask for the Hyderabad Hella Executive's contact number.

Basha 9949526642. He is located in Vijayawada.

Alternatively you can leave a message after clicking the horn model at http://www.shop4hella.com/listProduct.aspx?DeptId=2&CatgId=6&Name=Safety Horns-City Horns
  5. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vIjAy_kHaSa
    Thanks for the image, will check it tomorrow.
    Hope,only these two are tough(one behind the logo and the other beneath headlight)
    Can you share your experience while removing the bumper and especially with these two fasteners

@kunwar.g
    Will try, not flexing the plastic too much.
    Out of my experience with DIY,Most of the time its easy to remove things and tough while putting it back properly aligned :inpain:.

*Fog lamp socket should be disconnected before pulling out the bumper, do we have any other wires/connectors to take care before removing the bumper.

@nbvcrao
    Thanks for the contact info, will try to get Hyd distributor details.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just the Fog lamp wire
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @kunwar.g
    Can be T30 as the sockets in tool box can be interchanged I would have interchanged their position hence the confusion.
    @Maddy79
    Fiat logo in Linea's radiator grill is not attached to car body so doesn't need to be removed not sure about Grande Punto.
    To remove torx screw below headlight make room for your hand by bending wheel well plastic cover a little.
  8. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    New Horns installed.
    Thanks Kunwar & vijay for your inputs,it made this DIY trouble free.
    The second Torx screw holding fender and bumper is indeed tough among all.
    Logo is just bolted to bumper ,So no worries.

Those looking for horn upgrade, Bumper removal is a better way than struggling with front grill and logo nut.
    Took approx 3 hrs to compete this DIY
    Tools requited : T25,T30,Philips screw driver,10mm & 13mm wrench
    Steps:
    1) Start from wheel well, remove 3 Philips screws which are along the wheel arch.
    2) Remove 2 plastic nuts on each wheel well and one Torx screw (T25) at right wheel well ( this step is optional,but this will provide more room to work on second Torx screw which is inside the bumper).
    3) Loosen the torx screws (T30) at the wheel arch and one inside the bumper on each side.The second torx screw will have very little room to loosen/tighten, take time on this one.
    4)loosen top four torx screws (Do not Remove).
    5)Remove bottom four torx screws.
    6)Remove those torx screws on each sides, which were already loosened in step 3.
    7)Remove the fog lamp connectors if available.
    8)Now the bumper hangs loose on Top four torx screws, Place a Carton/cloth under the bumper for protection & remove those four screws,hold & slide the bumper out.

Fixing back will be reverse of these steps, Make sure to tighten any screw only after checking the bumper alignment from all sides.

Installed DENSO Compact Horns,guess these are OEM for TOYOTA.
    They are quite small,looks puny as two wheeler horns.But the sound is sharp.
    I felt the OEM Hellas were OK but Harsh sound,which was not of my liking.

IMG_20150817_224532.jpg IMG_20150821_121913.jpg IMG_20150821_122018.jpg IMG_20150820_232706.jpg
    vIjAy_kHaSa and kunwar.g like this.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Maddy79 . Great work done. Please share information about the wiring done. I see these are not compatible with standard coupler that come in Punto. How was this sorted ?
  10. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    I wasn't ready in cutting the coupler or sleeve out its wires.
    So did it with male and female brass connectors.( Horn clips,male & female)
    Bought these connectors from Auto Electrical Shop.
    Crimped male and female connectors to the ends of ~4 inch length, 1 sq mm wires.( 4 Nos, two red and two grey)
    Had a road block :banghead: ,The male connector's blade was wide and didn't fit in to the Original coupler. So filed the blade width to fit in.
    Applied PVC insulation to the connectors and on top of it added additional layers of masking tape to the coupler to hold those clips firmly and applied masking tape to the horn terminals as well for added safety.
    Polarity of OE coupler ,Purple +ve and Black -ve.
    Used cable ties to minimize the wiring harness movement.
    ----------------------
    These new horns are rated at 4 Amps each.Not sure if the original horn wires can take 8 Amps load.
    Any clue on OE Hella horns Ampere rating?
    Original wires were thin, doubt if they are .5 or.75 sq mm.
    1 sq mm can withstand up to 12 Amps load.
    .75 sq mm==> 7 Amps
    .5 sq mm==> 4 Amps
    kunwar.g likes this.