1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The horn upgrade query thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pammuluvcars, May 12, 2011.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got new set of horns installed - Hella Black Pearl Trumpet. These come in 2 variants. One with coupler and one with normal thimbals. The ones with coupler are a direct fit to the couplers of Punto. Fortunately even Active has wiring provided for 2 horns, though only 1 is fitted. So only had to put on the new horns and plug it. Will share pics soon. The horns cost Rs 700.00 from Hella Delhi Dealer. Was installed at F.A.S.S while the bumper was removed for some other purpose. No charges for horn installation. Just need to carry a 13 size nut for the 2nd horn. The bolt is already provided :)
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some maroon has banged my front bumper in office parking, after that horn behaves very badly. During rain it never works, which made me scary during city rain drive. So I thought of the checking the horn at FASS.

At KHT fiat, they did some adjustment to the horn and they claimed it to be OK and ask me if I want one more horn to be added. I was like WOW after knowing that wiring is already present even in Active and it hardly cost 350 for low pithch and 400 for high pitch.

I have requested for high pitch horn. The mechanic told that the car is already having high pitch so I can only put low pitch.I said OK for that.

Horn got installed in 20 mins or so without opening the bumper. I did not like the way they install, it was done by removing top bumper screw and putting the hand from top.

All done, horn tested, sounds better outside like dual horn.

Buuutttttt, what the hell is this. When I left the FASS, and hit the horn first time, I feel the horn sound is more inside the cabin, I really got upset, return back to the FASS. they checked and said its normal. I checked one more car it was the same case.

Did anyone experience this after putting dual horn?
  3. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its normal,
    As you got used to single (High) horn ,needs some time to for your ears to get adjusted with the second horn(Low) from inside.
    Check if the new horn is touching the body, if so it would sound differently and you will feel it as well.

But how were they able to complete the job just by removing the top four screws? Did the plastic flex back in shape or did you find any deformity.
    pdash likes this.
  4. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, they handle is it very roughly by tilting the top of the bumper, I realize that the bumper material is very soft so it does not harm anything. A hard bumper could have develop paint cracks. Yes, bumper is in proper shape visually.

I am planning to have some expert verify the loop holes to see if the engine noise and horn noise can be reduce with some kind of damping in some area. Lets see.
  5. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Damping is a good solution, but it all depends on how well it is done.
    DIY, its a tough job,but results as you would expect.
    To cut road noise,all doors should be damped along with underbody rubber coat + all 4 wheel wells.
    For reducing engine noise , Bonnet and inner firewall should be damped but dashboard removal and refitting is a pain.

I just damped all four doors and hatch door ( as a part of speaker upgrade ) to make the music sound more inside and stop the sheet metal rattle.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Maddy79 What is percentage of exterior noise reduction after damping only four door?
  7. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I did it mainly for the music to sound more inside of the car rather than certain frequencies passing out.
    Damping adds an additional weight (+2kgs) per door , which makes them little solid which will help in filtering out certain frequencies entering from outside too.
    Good bass used to rattle the doors which was eliminated to my level of hearing with damping.

Got a Dampmat box, did 6 sheets for four doors and one for the hatch. IMG_1576.JPG
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That is just 7 sheets, the box has 9 sheets. I used 2 sheets for for each front door, 1.5 for each rear door and 1.5 for hatch.

@pdash - you will get noise inside cabin with the OEM horns. The Hella horns I have does not have this effect so much so that initially I had to roll-down the windows to make sure they are not kaput
  9. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    Did you DIY or got it done outside.
    Coz I did it myself and i checked on every possible way by tapping on the metal to see if it sounds same all trough the door,both from inside and outside.

I have seen doing it in shops, just by cutting the sheets it to their comfort level for sticking inside and outside,they just do by covering the entire outer shell.

But on the outer shell,its good to be damped from inside to look it clean and operative if the door pad needs to be opened for any further issue.

Thats the max I could use on all doors and left with 2 sheets ,which I have plans in doing under the hood.
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Maddy79 It was 50% DIY and 50% by installer. I was standing on the head of the installer and instructing how to do it along with dirtying my hands too in this process.

I would advise not to use it under the hood as its not made to handle that heat and might just fall out. Even I am still waiting for Dampmat to come out with their hoodliner, which basis my last conversation with them is still under R&D or maybe they dont see a huge market for it, considering that it will be expensive.