1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The horn upgrade query thread

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pammuluvcars, May 12, 2011.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I feel stock horns do the job pretty well. The 75HP is on it's second set of roots windtone and even this set is showing signs of going away. Mine is a direct fit btw, no relays or switches.

These Skodaish sounding horns have a warning note on them BTW. It should not be used continuously for more than 2 seconds.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Bro the reason why these skoad horns going away are due to the car wash. If we are washing the car we should make sure the water should not enter into the horns.
    1 person likes this.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    With jugaad assistance to fix Aftermarket horns to stock wiring from here i managed to fix aftermarket horns (hella Red grills) a month ago.

The horns came with a Relay but i didn't use it then. All was well for the month but the High Tone started acting up recently. It does not work when i try to honk in an emergency (Read when braking and slowing down). The horn might have gone kaput but i wanted to try installing the relay and check before getting new horns.

Took a look at the wiring diagram from here. Got the required stuff (Ring terminals, Press terminals, Wires etc) from the local accessories shop. Apparently all the installers prefer this weird looking relay that they have against this neat looking relay that came with the horns.

Given, i had some crimped wires from my previous jugaad job, it was pretty straight forward this time. There are 2 stock sockets for wiring the horns, but since the relay needs only one for signalling purposes only, i neatly taped the other socket and left it as is.

All this is plug and play and no damage/Stripping was done to the stock wiring. So if i need to go for any huge warranty claims, i can just strip off everything in 10 mins and go to the SC.

Still need to check if the High tone continues to have issues when i go out on a drive in traffic. If it does, I'll probably have to get new horns again.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    the only reason i changed my horns was because i didn't like the note of it.
    Its i think been more than a year with the new horns and i'm happy with it and its working fine.
    the same skoda horns that all are talking about
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Again my punto Horns (Roots) are blown out for the second time please suggest reliable horns for replacement, is it possible to fix Innova horn in punto where can i get it fixed in Bangalore?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You can go for Stebel Magnum TM80 or Fiamm Minda both are good.
    My choice will be Stebel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    I suspect wiring issue. My punto has roots windtone running good from 3yrs.
    Its a DIY remove front top grill and install. Chk my post in this thread for instructions.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

+1 for Stebel Magnum TM 80 if you like trumpet Horns. I have used them for 2+ years on my bike - the horns where exposed to all elements but never did give me any trouble. later I relocated them to my Vista and replaced them with Hella Redgrills. I think I may still have them some where in my native.

Does any one here use Stebel Nautilus? That is one seriously LOUD horn. One of my friend had one on his Enfield and man, it used to scare other people :evil:

I have tried my best to remove the top grill but sadly could never do it - my hands where not good enough for the work.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Are these horns susceptible to water or hard winds as i could notice the horn going down when i was driving at high speeds on the highway.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    It is difficult to do with a normal spanner. Could be easier with a ring spanner or easiest if you have a Ratchet tool.

For me, putting it back has always been painful than removing it. It's easy to drop the bolt inside the bumper, so the job must be done carefully.