1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Headlight upgrade discussion thread

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by nrohan, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Avventura it is.

Present lights are adequate if upcoming traffic follows rules and light manners.

On highways (four lane & E way), if the divider is not tall enough or is devoid of bushes /trees, upcoming traffic comes with high beam and that blinds me, also whenever I am in the right most lane it is difficult to make out the divider as the yellow - black divider is often smeared with mud or smoke grease Also it is difficult to know the areas on the road where U turn is allowed and vehicles keep crossing the highway.

So I want to upgrade the low beam & fogs to HID . In city, I would be using only HID fogs along with parking lights of the headlamp. On highways also I would be preferring same and only on special occasions(upcoming vehicles blinding me with highbeam or semi offroading & farms, and prevent up coming bikers from entering in to my lane in traffic jams ), I would use the low beam of the headlight HID.

Experts here, please suggest, I need yellowish white lights , I want to avoid projectors AFA possible as it is impossible to dismantle the reflector part of headlights from the glass (budget : 18 k INR) ,
  2. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Novizio

Bangalore
    Finally!!!
    Yes, haed lights and Fog lights are out of CAN, however angle eye needs to be connected to parking bulb connection which is under CAN monitoring :banghead:

Parts as below:
    2x Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors
    2x Morimoto H1 4500K bulbs
    2x Dual LED (Red/Amber and Blue) Angle Eye within shrouds
    2x Morimoto white & Amber (switch back) XSB LED Angle
    upload_2015-9-15_10-15-19.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-15-38.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-17-0.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-17-11.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-22-50.png

Spent two whole days for retrofitting the Morimoto H1 into low beam and just H1 bulbs into high beam reflectors.
    Journey started with taking the head light assembly out from the car (Linea MJD). Took help from Vecto Motor guys (out from Vecto). It took hardly an hour.

The major challenge was to open the head light assembly cover (glass/plastic), glue/sealant used is extremely stiff and does not (yes does not) melt even at 550' C. After 3-4 hours of struggle I succeeded to separate the glass from both assembles. Separating the assembly does let you reseal is; so removed all remaining glue (rather rubber) from all over the assembly and glass.

Separated the assembly into pieces.
    upload_2015-9-15_9-56-29.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-24-31.jpeg

Fixed the projectors into low beam dooms.
    upload_2015-9-15_10-27-0.jpeg

Glowing just white angle eye
    upload_2015-9-15_10-28-8.jpeg

Red/Amber, white and Blue, all angle eyes on.
    upload_2015-9-15_10-28-57.jpeg

Projector low beam, all angle eyes and indicator on- white angle eye turns to amber at indicator
    upload_2015-9-15_10-32-42.jpeg
    upload_2015-9-15_10-39-6.jpeg

Projector high beam, high beam doom and all angle eyes switched on
    upload_2015-9-15_10-30-4.jpeg

Head light assembly sealed and fitted back into the car
    upload_2015-9-15_10-25-47.jpeg

upload_2015-9-15_10-31-25.jpeg

upload_2015-9-15_10-32-23.jpeg

upload_2015-9-15_10-39-41.jpeg

Low beam (only projector)
    upload_2015-9-15_10-45-36.jpeg

High beam (projector + HID bulb in high beam doom)
    upload_2015-9-15_10-46-18.jpeg

The struggle ended here :happy:! Feeling feverish and too much body pain after this WAR :brb:

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated ;)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good job @RoadRunner.
    Never thought removing might be so much trouble :), but great to see final outcome.
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    can you also put a cost breakdown for the same please
  5. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi harryaviator,

I had the projectors from Morimoto already (bought 2 years back). If you want to buy a whole setup, below are breakdown:

2x Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III (H1) Complete Projector setup- $ 270. This includes below components.
    a) 2x Mini H1 Projectors
    b) 2x H1 4500 K HID Bulb (you may choose to change the color (4500K, 5500K & 6500K))
    c) 2x 35/55 Watts Ballast
    d) 2x HID bulb igniter
    e) 2x Mini Gatling Gun shroud (if you want a bigger shroud + $25- $50)
    f) 2x relay harness / CAN bus connector
    g) If you want to add Angle eyes + $50- $75 (depending on shroud size i.e. 70mm to 140mm)

Red and Blue angle eyes are bought from RetroRides (Dixit +91- 9971395678), it cost INR 3500 with courier.
    These above are fixed (in my Car) in low beam reflector doom.

In high beam reflector doom, I have fixed H1 Morimoto Elite HID System- $180. This includes:
    2x H1 4500 K HID Bulb
    2x 55 Watts Ballast
    2x HID bulb igniters
    2x H1 CAN bus connectors

Since these were shipped from US (USPS)- $69.08 Mail Express International + Customs duty of 42% on actual bill+shipping :banghead:

BTW, Morimoto dealership is with RetroRides (Dixit) in Delhi, all of the above should be available with him as well.

HTH
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 16, 2015 ---
    Just got the price list of Morimoto India Dealer for Head lights stuff. Also, RetroRides may offer 10% discount for TFi members :finger:

RetroRides contact person's name is Deekshit (not Dixit, sorry for misspell) o_O

Looks like RetroRides does not have an offial website as of now, however they are at Facebook

IMG-20150916-WA0000.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @RoadRunner, any specific reason you did not consider the FXR instead of Morimotto. I found the FXR much better in the beam spread and the beam cut off. We have installed one in i20. Initially installed morimotto and we were not happy with the results. So switched to FXR.
  7. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Novizio

Bangalore
    @nkrishnap , No specific reason, since I used Morimoto in my Fiesta earlier and found better than all Projectors at that time (3 years back). Also, since I never seen FXR beam patter and cut offn personally, I didn't want to try :dead:
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    @RoadRunner - that's the most detailed and descriptive reply anyone has ever given me! thanks a ton.
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The low beam is not much of an issue with the Morimotto, but the high beam was average. The FXR has much better high beam pattern.

Trying to get hold of the pics of the i20.
  10. Manjunath Patil

Manjunath Patil Timido

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Want to upgrade my headlamp.

Can you please suggest whether i should go with some relay or some thing else.

Mod Note: Post moved to appropriate thread.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016