1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by anoop, Jun 10, 2014.

1. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    You just need to go a bit slow on speed breakers as per alloys.Just do that and they will not break. If not, get a strong five-nut alloy from bikes like the apache or Splendor Pro.

P.S. Could you please share the reason why you had removed the saree guard???

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
    1 person likes this.
  2. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The alloy costs somewhere around 4.5 to 5k. Don't remember the exact price though. But it surely isn't such a matter of concern. it will not break/bend until it is subjected to really heavy impacts. In my case the bike had gone off the road, jumped some huge stones and then halted. This caused the alloy to bend. In regular usage it won't really sustain damages.

Many reviews which we read are from enthusiasts who are a bit over enthusiastic and don't give a damn to the fact that the Duke is a street bike and not a moto cross/off road bike. They do all sorts of off road trails and complain of the alloy being damaged.

Yes, I have got a paddock stand made from a friend of mine who is into customization, which really helps in cleaning the bike/chain.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
    1 person likes this.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Yeah - I am taking speed breaks at a slower speed that I used to do :(

Well, the reasons:
    1. No one who sits in my bike uses a saari. Most of the time I ride the bike alone, or with my colleague and he just dont fancy himself in a saari ;). My wife also dont use saari.
    2. Weight reduction (also plan to do away with the tyre hugger once the rainy season is over)
    3. Looks ugly

Thank you Mahesh. Sadly, I am one of those who would love to treat my bike as a moto cross / off road bike. In fact, that was my major block against buying a duke, but sadly, I could not get a Hero Impulse, so had no other go.
    I am more happy doing trail rides than doing triple digits on a arrow straight highway, and have to admit that the duke makes a competent off road tool, albeit a bit fragile.
    1 person likes this.
  4. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Dear anoop,
    1.) tyre hugger is very lightweight and doesn't have to do anything with weight reduction.
    2.) It looks attractive and not like the ugly sari guard.

@mahesh.bandel, could you please tell me the place where you got the paddock stand?

Thanks,
    SX4enthusiast.
    1 person likes this.
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

@SX4E - I was hoping that I could achieve about 1.5 kg of weight reduction if I remove sari guard and tyre hugger, but it doesn't makes much of a difference any way. I may as well leave it as it is :)

Took the bike for first trail ride - the terrain was not of much difficulty (wanted to test the waters before I introduced her to the good stuff wink.gif ).

On hard trail, the bike did well and the light weight coupled with the power made sure that the climbs were effortless. She chewed up almost all of what I could throw at her, but had a bit of scary moment also.

There was a small patch of hard clay kind of surface and I thought I could cajole her over the surface with some smooth movements, but the tyres gave away before I could cover 20% of the surface - had to put both my foot down and some how, manager to hold the bike on the slippery surface and had to slowly push her back.

Few snaps from the ride - sorry for the low quality snaps - they are from my phone. It was a solo ride and I did not carry my dslr.

IMG_20140617_100141.jpg

IMG_20140617_100440.jpg

IMG_20140617_100744.jpg

This climb was a tricky one - there was not much space at the top of the ridge, so I had to climb at an angle (so that the bike is aligned perpendicular to the climb once the bike was on top of the ridge).

IMG_20140617_100624.jpg

I brought a CBR 250 paddock stand from varthur Honda showroom for INR 3K today. I know I paid more, but I always wanted a paddock stand like this smile.gif
    Interesting thing is, the person at the sales counter did not know that they sell the paddock stands, and tried hard to convince me that they don't sell it for home use. Luckily, another guy overheard us and sorted it out for me. During the entire episode, the courtesy shown by them (the whole staff at Honda showroom) was excellent. Thumbs up to them.
    2 people like this.
  6. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    man your duke looks awesome!

congrats on the new paddock stand!

any new plans for any type change?¿

waiting for replies!

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.

Sent from my IdeaTabA1000-G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Thanks mate. The OEM tyres are very good in tarmac, and for some one who is using duke only on tarmac, the tyre is very well suited - good grip in dry and wet, not as soft as the metz of 390, but enough grippy for the power 200 develops. The tyre holds reasonably good on hard earth trails also, but they are hopeless in slush and average in gravel.

I would love to change the tyres to something like Ceat Vertigo, but need to find some vitamin M first :)

Few pics of the paddock stand:

IMG_20140617_143844.jpg

IMG_20140617_143855.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  8. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    I think so it would be better if you would paint the paddock stand in black color.

One more small suggest:
    You could get the ECU remap to increase your performance as duke's is limited.

Wish you good luck with the babe-duke 200¡!¿‰¢¥

I am seeing that you like your duke, which is great!

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.

9. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Any updates?

10. anoop

anoop Superiore

Paddock stand - I do agree that a black paddock stand will suit the bike more, but personally, I wanted to have a red paddock stand - so, may be not now, but in future I will think about painting it black :)

ECU remap - As of now, I do not use the Duke to 100% potential, and for my purpose, the stock Duke seems sufficient (as of now). I will do it when I explore what Duke had to offer and when I think I need to add some more juice to make her interesting.

On the cosmetic front, need a tank guard, but still not decided which way to go - buy a tank pad, or get the part 3M vinyl wrapped.

One question - Motul 300v or Motul 7100?