1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The crackerjack – My New Linea TJet 2014

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Saket Sidana, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Congrats @Saket Sidana for the 5k milestone. Keep going...
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2015 ---
    Totally agree on that one @Saket Sidana, similar experience here when i am out on highways. Verna and i20 gives pretty decent competition to T-Jet however one corner you encounter and strength of TJet takes over Verna and i20 at ease.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Well, not on that one. Actually, I didn't reset the Trip Meter after the last highway drive to Punjab. However, in the winter season that went past, I was consistently getting mileage between 11.0 and 12.5 kmpl without AC. Initially, I was getting more around 12-13 kmpl but that had to do with the good route I as following those days. Generally, I drive easy in city with an occasional burst in between, if I could.
    This would be TJet's first summer season and I am expecting to get around 9.5-11 kmpl with AC. I would be ok with these figures as TJet provides utmost safety and fun to drive and I can go on and on praising it... I was not looking at great mileage when I went with TJet. However, I think I am getting more mileage than what I settled for, atleast in the first 6 months. So, good experience so far and enjoying it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 3, 2015 ---
    Thanks @mangeshtendulkar.
    I didn't even have to wait for a corner to get their sighting shifted from my wind screen view to rear view mirror. :) The new i20 diesel was impressive nonetheless. I think Hyundai may have worked on suspension of it and I also noticed that its tyres were a bit wider. So, looks like Hyundai is slowly working towards ride and handling aspect of their cars. I haven't driven it though.
  3. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Alright, I wonder what a Micra owner would think of a TJet now? Two days ago, I got late in office and was coming back to home around 10 PM. I see a Micra running close behind me and honking hard. Well, yes at 10 PM. He wasn't keen on overtaking me [tired and sedate driving from me] from the wrong side. Got me irritated and what do I do. I simply push the accelerator and off flies the TJet. Pure Bliss. I wonder what he may be thinking as within a few seconds, I could see him far far behind.:D Just these small incidents bring a smile, such is a joy to own a Fiat. Thoroughly impressed and I am sure he would be having sleepless nights. o_O
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    7 month ownership report of my Jet, it truly turned out one hell of a crackerjack. I'm loving it.

Odometer reading: 6695

Number of highway trips: 4.
    3 trips from Delhi NCR to Ludhiana, 1 from Delhi NCR to Muzzafar Nagar.

Wishlist: Drive to Udaipur and many more, TFI Meet.

Driving experience: Fantabulous is the word. No complaints and it brings a smile every time. Finding reasons to drive is a hobby now!

Mileage experience: Satisfied overall. Highway mileage in excess of 14.5 kmpl, city mileage around 11 to 12.5 kmpl in winters. First summer for the TJet and I would post numbers in May, when the summer is at peak.

Niggles: Noise from front brakes and required few trips to Oberoi Fiat. Got both the front discs changed in warranty which reduced the noise. However, found out from other fellow Tjet lovers that it’s the nature of TJet. No concerns on this front as noise is very less.

Audio: Sometimes, USB mode switches to AUX mode automatically on pressing horn. I checked that I don’t inadvertently press the steering buttons. It’s a known issue which requires the change of USB port. I didn’t get that done in first service due to lack of time and it isn’t much of a nuisance either.

Services done: First free service. Engine oil top up costing INR 180. No other expense till now except for Fuel bills.
    Pending maintenance: Wheel balancing/rotation/alignment. Took feedback from TFI and Tyre Dynamics in Noida is the advice. Will get this done as soon as I find time.

Highlights:

1. Always trying to find reasons to drive. It’s a hoot to drive! No explanation needed and neither providing it. ;) Decision paid out well till now.

2. Superb braking abilities: Had two difficult situations in my last drive on NH1 and it braked superbly and maintained its poise. This was the first time when I had to use brakes really fast. Pretty sharp and confidence inspiring braking ability. It stopped so beautifully without any fuss and as straight as it can.

3. AC is a chiller and no complaints.

4. Great looker and draws attention: Crackerjack once parked near cars like new Toyota Corolla Altis, Honda city[2014 model and earlier], Cruze, Swift, Verna, Innova. The stance of the car with wide tyres, big wheels, 16’’ alloys is amazing and it indeed is the best looking machine of all, at least for me. During a showroom visit while finalizing the car, my 3 year old kiddo sat in the Linea. While moving out of the showroom, he was adamant on having Linea and came out crying saying I need this car now. What more can one say? Sign of another automobile enthusiast and lover! And hopefully for Fiat.

5. Got good mileage on highways and in city. Maximum mileage achieved in the first highway trip to Ludhiana within first 10 days of ownership. 15.8 and 16.2 kmpl to and fro covering ~650 kms, partial AC per requirement [I think but don’t remember exactly] as it was a drive during winter[not much cold though]. April drive to Ludhiana and back [home to home] with AC full time returned 14.6 kmpl which is more than welcome as I also challenged the speed warning buzzer few times.

6. Two disappointments: Couldn’t go to Udaipur in December due to heavy fog and missed the TFI North India Meet in April. No fault of Linea, sheer bad luck on my part.

7. Accidents: None. Just brushed an i20 ahead in bumper to bumper traffic, no scratch on my Jet, neither on the car ahead.

8. Braking: I think I still need to come to terms with braking/dimensions of the car. Somehow, in bumper to bumper traffic, I think I brake very gently and come quite close to the car ahead. Perhaps, moving to a bigger car after 14 years from Santro is the cause and I need to adjust somewhat.

9. Mileage: First summer for Linea. Need to see how it responds to AC, still not much concerned and I am ok to get 9.5 to 11 kmpl. This is good enough for me for the kind of unmatched pleasure and great safety it provides.

10. Speed warning buzzer gets heard very often on highway drives. No matter how hard I try to be in limit, the urge to hear it makes you hit the accelerator hard. :greedy: I am not going to mention the speed limit I have set but it’s on a higher side. PM me to know this! Urge to hear the buzzer is within safety considerations on the road like tarmac nature, traffic and it’s hit momentarily for like 15-30 seconds. And believe I would generally be one of the most conservative drivers of TJet in city, except or a dash or two in between. Contradicting but true. Linea is at fault here and not me. ;)

Few pics from the last highway drive below. Notice the shining clean alloys please! Specially done for the highway drive so that the crackerjack exudes brilliance and creates envy on the road!

Fueling session near Ambala.

Fuel-NearAmbala.jpg
    Fueling session near Ambala, a slightly different angle.
    Fuel-NearAmbala1.jpg

Avventura ahead on NH1. NH1-Avventura.jpg

Trye pressure check near Dada Fiat, Ludhiana before the drive back to Delhi NCR. Notice the clean and shining alloys! PreparationForDrive-Ldh1.jpg
    Trye pressure check near Dada Fiat, Ludhiana before the drive back to Delhi NCR. Another angle.
    PreparationForDrive-Ldh2.jpg
    C_S, bharath, pabhishek and 2 others like this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    One more extremely satisfied Tjet owner! amen!! I, too, am in the list @Saket Sidana :)
  6. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @pabhishek, spot on! I got another taste of "Fiat-Admiration Guaranteed" today.
    I parked my car at a little vantage point in office where people do a walk after lunch and evening. I generally don't park there as it's an open space due to heat/afternoon sun blaze. Alongside, there was a Verna and new City. Going by what I saw, people were more closely checking out the TJet. Well, you can say I'm biased, but so what. I bet, you would also be getting such reactions. ;)
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Total Kms: 6870. Finally, got the time to take it out for routine wheel/tyre maintenance chores. Went to Tyre Dynamics, Noida as suggested by other TFI members [ @Biraj ]to get wheel alignment, balancing and tyre rotation done. They have opened another outlet in Indirapuram which I didn't know. @Biraj to take note of this.
    Here's the procedure followed:
    1. Got wheel balancing done. Total weight used: 20 gms.
    2. Then, got the tyres rotation done. Front Left tyre changed with rear left tyre and similarly for right hand side tyres. Fiat manual suggests the same. I stayed with the technician to make sure it happens the way I wanted. Yeah, too possessive!
    3. Wheel alignment done on 3D Hunter machine.

No major fault or major mis-alignment seen and tyre condition was also fine.

Total expenses: INR 600 [including taxes] which was pretty decent and not expensive. Would get the next check done after clocking another 5K kms.

Few pics while the TJet was going through the checks. The numbers on the monitor that you see were not the final ones, these were while the technician was setting it on the ramp for further checks.
    WA1.jpg WA3.jpg WA5.jpg
    pabhishek and prabhjot like this.
  8. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Completed 7000 kms today in 10 days short of completing 8 great driving pleasure months with the TJet. Here's the odo reading.
    20150518_182947.jpg
  9. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    A slight niggle in my Linea. I had earlier mentioned that I hear a "tak" sound [feeble but heard easily] when steering is rotated fully towards left side. While driving, I can NOW hear this sound when I turn on left side and steering is rotated at least half way. No sound comes while doing the same on right side or steering is rotated less than half the way. Perhaps, it's do with suspension or link rod roll bar joints. I am somehow relating this to a post by @VahanPujari in http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/fiat-linea-punto-did-you-know-series.21. Not exactly the same issue but perhaps linked to it. I must say my technical knowledge on automobiles is nothing to be proud of and just a guess made. ;)

"• If there is a "tak tak" noise and the front suspension thud sound coming in some of the Lineas, this is due to weak Suspension Links/ link rod roll bar ball joints at the front. Get your suspension links / ball joints changed under warranty and both the noises will vanish."

However, I don't hear any thud sound or face any suspension problem. I would get this checked over the weekend. Can others enlighten if they faced this issue in Linea? Looks a minor issue but worth getting checked. Thanks in advance!
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Updating results of this on my ownership thread also for record purposes.

Update as on 25th May: I was getting this noise when steering was done half way or more to the left after I posted my initial issue. Nuts/bolts were tightened, roll bars checked, test drive done, issue not solved. Shockers of both sides opened and greased, shocker mount points checked and the issue seems resolved. Not getting this issue till now, just driven 30 kms only after the rectification though.

Update as on 28th May: Alright, the issue is gone and I haven't noticed it since I got this resolved for past 5 days. 80 kms driven after the fix was done and no issues. Now, it's time to have stereo playing up good tunes. I hadn't kept in on to check the issue for past 5 days.
    mangeshtendulkar and pabhishek like this.