1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The crackerjack – My New Linea TJet 2014

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Saket Sidana, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Finally, got it checked at Oberoi Fiat, Noida. The whistling sound from front brakes is almost gone. Brake pads were scrubbed with some material and some greasing done. That resolved the issue. During test drive, noise started coming from rear brakes now. It was very surprising as it was the heard for the first time and after rectification of front brakes. I don't know why it happened as the technician didn't do anything with the rear brakes as I was standing near the car for almost full duration. That was also resolved through same procedure. Explanation given was that rust was causing this, though I am not sure. Once the rear brake issues was resolved, I drove it for 20 odd Kms and no noise was observed except for a very faint noise[very very less intensity than earlier] from front brakes twice. Problem looks almost resolved to me more or less and will observe for few more days and decide next action.
    Overall, Oberoi Fiat was fine that they acknowledged the issue easily, looked into the issue without much botheration and were open to my test drive to check the issue. From technical perspective, I didn't find their technicians convincing enough. Experience with braking over the next few days would probably be the deciding factor to rate them. Their drivers [2] aren't good though. They slip the grip from clutch too often causing a lot of noise, too much of accelerator push and I had to ask them to take it easy. I felt very uneasy and decided to be with the car during every service from now.

AND I met one of my colleagues at the workshop who helped me in deciding to go for a Fiat. He has got himself the 2014 Linea Multijet and had a niggle with the defogger which requires replacement of the rear windscreen. :(
    I dropped him home with him driving my Jet and he loved every aspect of it. :)
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Giridhar and prabhjot like this.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I went to Oberoi Fiat today. They again scrubbed the brake pads and I was not convinced that it would resolve the issue. Test drove it and the issue didn't go away fully, though it got a little better. Next action was to change both the front discs and brake pads and Bingo!!! Problem resolved is what I thought. I test drive it for 8-10 kms and issue no noise was heard from brakes. Went to Delhi in the evening and drove around 45 kms. No noise heard. Back to my place where there are 2 steep ramps to go to the parking and I could again hear the noise but it was very very faint. Will need to check again on a cold start as at that time, noise used to be very audible earlier.
    I learnt today was that warranty for brakes is only till 5K kms, mine at around 3100 kms currently. I didn't know about it and good that I took the problem seriously and got the discs and brake pads replaced[they were lusty] else it would have burnt a 14-16k hole to my pocket. Just wanted to share this piece of information.

Request to members to suggest if they have any such issue in their Linea/Punto. Is the problem I mentioned worrisome or I can ignore it if it remains very faint? There is no lack of bite in the brakes, they are damn responsive! I do not hear an iota of noise on the same ramp on my Santro though. Could it be due to sheer weight of TJet going down the steep ramp? Waiting for suggestions and opinions.

On a side note, I met a fellow TFIan Manish Samtaney[don't know his TFI handle] at the service centre who lives in my society. Coincidence that I met my colleague at Oberoi Fiat last time and now a TFIan.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  3. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Had discussions with a few TJet owners, drive another TJet and the whistling noise seems to be in every TJet. Now, it's very minor and at acceptable levels now. It's been a week that I had gone to Oberoi Fiat and till now, the noise has reduced significantly and very minor. Thanks to @prabhjot and @Biraj for their observations and help. Oberoi Fiat also responded to my requests for inspection positively.
    Biraj, prabhjot and mchanna like this.
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    It's on my jet too @Saket Sidana ! Its a very mild noise which only can be observed during slow moving traffic. I also initially got it checked and yes , nothing to worry.

Tjet has all disc which is the reason I guess for this faint noise.

Ignore it and concentrate on jetting :)
    kgk, prabhjot and mchanna like this.
  5. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @pabhishek, yes I'm past this issue now and no more botheration. Positive side is that I got to have new discs and brakes replaced through warranty which has drastically reduced the noise. Sure, it's not on my mind anymore and enjoying the drives.
    My office is shifting to noida expressway next month which means I would get to drive and enjoy more. I'm the only one among folks in my team whose distance has increased who is happy with this. AND I don't need to mention the reason here.:)
    Rahul Grover, kgk, prabhjot and 2 others like this.
  6. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Coming up with some clicks of my TJet today. Completed 4 months of niggle free ownership of TJet and loving every bit and inch about it. Completed around 3800 Kms with 3 highway trips. It has been an amazing journey so far and extremely happy about taking the decision against the herd mentality and going with research/reviews and my heart on getting THE Linea TJet.

1. Few Pics displaying what the TJet went through at Oberoi Fiat. Notice the rust free new disc. :)

20150110_102948.jpg 20150110_103001.jpg 20150124_113301.jpg

2. Few pics clicked while TJet was on the Delhi-Punjab highway. Notice the mileage figures. Few clicks displaying the foggy conditions. Didn't click any on the trip to Muzzafar Nagar, it was a very short trip with not enough time.
    I haven't placed the TFI stickers yet, will do so and post pics when I come up with a 6 month ownership review in March.

20141228_142738.jpg 20141228_153626.jpg 20141228_163146.jpg 20141228_172631.jpg 20141228_172646.jpg 20141228_172658.jpg 20141228_174856.jpg ATT_1422772279185_20141228_155453.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Saket,

Here's what I found while searching for brake noise. Might be the reason behind our observation.

Source: http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance/common-brake-noises-and-what-they-mean
    Giridhar, Saket Sidana and prabhjot like this.
  8. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Hello team, need to get TJet serviced in a couple of weeks, reached ~4000 Kms. Any suggestions on what to specifically get checked and pay attention to. Not getting any issues in my crackerjack though. Thanks in advance!
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't think so @Saket Sidana ! But ask them not to put the shiny polish in dashboard. It looks el-cheapo and tacky. Took me few days to recover the original matte look.
  10. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    Check the oil-level. T-jet consumes almost 400 ml in every 1000 KMs during the first 5000 KMs. It's mentioned in the user manual and mine did show such consumption. While the service center recommends top-up of oil, I went for getting it changed. Oil+filter will be around Rs. 2.5K. I would call it a worthy investment.

Get the alignment checked outside. I don't like the alignment/balancing that the FASS does. Tyre Dynamics in Sector 63 is a good option.
    Giridhar and prabhjot like this.