1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The comeback of the Chetak with Pics

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by harishgayatri, Dec 3, 2012.

1. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    This is my dad's first vehicle a maroon colored Bajaj Chetak which he purchased in July 1993. He got it in hypothecation with Bank of Baroda. I have had great moments when I was a kid. I used to stand in the front holding the handlebar when he was driving.

My dad stopped using the vehicle altogether in 2002 when we got our first car a Maruti 800!! & after that it used to simply lie there in the garage gathering dust & finally rust. I also used to tell my dad to sell of the vehicle as it was not being used, but he never sold it off. I had also got a scrap dealer to take the vehicle but when he quoted a price of Rs.2500/- :eek: I thought it was better to keep it.

The Chetak was put back to work in 2008 when I wanted to get a two wheeler for doing short distances. I had got it repaired for just Rs.1000/-. Alot of stuff was replaced i.e. Seat, headlights, speedometer, control cables, wheel rims etc..... I used to ride the vehicle in my building compound as the vehicle did not have insurance.

One fine day I stumbled upon a website were people discussed only Bajaj Chetaks or Super/Cub. I learnt a lot from those guys who knew a lot about the vehicle & its history. They had also posted the pics of their vehicle which looked really stunning. From that day onwards I had made up my mind to rebuild the chetak including the engine(my dad had never done the engine work). I was trying to find a good mechanic & a painter in Mulund, Mumbai who had a reputation in my place. The mechanic however is an Auto mechanic but knew vehicle very well & was ready to do the job but quoted a pretty high price. And same for the painter. Finally the deal was struck & after long hours of running between the painter & mechanic. The vehicle was finally with the painter. :)

Me & my friend had already removed the engine 6 months ago.

These are taken from cellphone camera. Please excuse.

Pics of engine with Piston exposed

CIMG0087.jpg

Pics of the vehicle being dismantled

CIMG0089.jpg CIMG0090.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    11 people like this.
  2. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice to see this resurrection. What are your plans - color, mechanical work ....
  3. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Nice to see somebody interested here. ;)

Color will be Dupont Solid color Code(YS163) it will be painted Dark Brown (i.e the color of Coffee Bean). The engine will be completely build from the scratch.

All worn parts will be replaced with new ones. I have also got some new spares ready to be fitted.

New parts which are planned as under.

1. 3xMRF Nylogrip Zapper
    2. New Wheel rims with new drums
    3. Suspensions ( Never touched in 19 years:eek: )
    4. Bore Kit with Cylinder head
    5. Spark Plug
    6. Electrical system.

& hell lot of stuff.

The best thing about this vehicle is the parts are super cheap. My total budget kept aside is Rs.16,000/- Out of which engine will be getting the largest chunk of around Rs.6000/-

The budget will be flexible till Rs.20,000/- Pics will be coming when the work is in progress. Till then keep hooked.
    1 person likes this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hey color it like the vintage bike with a good painter. If possible try to have tatto painting on it.
    One of restoration of 1958 royal Enfield with tatto painting....
    IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    2 people like this.
  5. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Hi my vehicle will look more or less like this

LML-Star-200-4T-2.jpg

Regards,

- - - Merged Post - - -

BTW, Can anyone here with a Chetak help me with the scans of their owner's manual. Mine was lost :(
    6 people like this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Great to see the old Chetak being given some love.

The world has moved on to the 100cc commuter bikes, but nothing beats the old 2T scooters. My 1995 Vespa has reliably ferried me through my high school and University. I still ride it and will always be with me!

Are you planning to rebore? Just give it a new cylinder kit + crank. These scooters are so reliable and bulletproof.
    1 person likes this.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Nice thread and pictures. Not many would want to do this and it's nice that your resurrecting something which is close to your heart.

The color choice in above pictures looks good, But do you think it's enough Retro? I thought the one which was posted by Rishikie007 had a bit of retro to it. Your thoughts?
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ harish, Nice thread! My dad also owns a Chetak which he is using till date. No matter what, he is not ready to part with his Chetak. Even after ages, it still manages to run smoothly and no hastles what so ever!
  9. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Yes. very true these vehicles are very trust worthy & can bear lot of neglect. I will be giving it a new Cylinder kit & crank. reboring will be done if I face problems with the new kit. the Piston & Cylinder had also taken lot of damages.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I was initially planning Two tone i.e. Grey & Silver, Then thought of going retro with Pearl White, But finally settled for Brown since it comes close to original. However the MRF Zapper name will be painted white to give it a unique look.

Same here. Just for the info make sure your chetak gets the piston rings changed. Also use good oil with the proper mixture. It matters in the long run. If your vehicle does not pass the emission test then mix 10ml of Acetone with it. It will pass with Flying colors.
    1 person likes this.
  10. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    Update. The painter has completed most of welding work. Sorry could not take snaps because the place where has kept the chassis is pretty dark.

Sent from my M758A using Tapatalk 2