1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The best car shampoo to remove bug stain and Tar

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by rahul16, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Ramjn, we should exercise caution in using thinner. As its name suggests it is used to dilute the paint or remove the paint and it should not harm the paint's sheen.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True.
    Care must be taken while using the Thinner. But, the thinner we buy from the local shops won't have any effect on the car paint. Absolutely no issues. For tough stains, instead of rubbing and creating more damage to paint, I gently use the thinner to wipe it off.
  3. rider60

rider60

hyderabad
    from my experience the WD40 is best put to use for rusted bolts and nuts. for the tar, use diesel with a sprayer or a cloth piece to apply on the area or even a mixture of diesel and kerosene would do, i recommend you to not to use this in the hot temperatures and/or under sunlight as it dries up fast, one would require the tar to soak up the diesel/kerosene, then clean the tar with a soft and clean piece of cloth.

for the minor ones, one of them silicone based car shampoos would work wonders, i have been using amway shampoo and car wax for 5yrs now and it had worked well for me.
  4. Linea2013

Linea2013 Timido

Trivandrum
    For attacking tar, please don't use Diesel or kerosine on paint as it will affect the paint. Please use some tar removers from some car care shop or try some online shopes. There are lots of online shops available now, one of the old one is GreenZ Car Care India - Car care products | Car detailing Products I bought some products from them and they are good.
  5. pvgeorge

pvgeorge Novizio

Trivandrum
    Tried Meguiar's degreaser in 10:1 dilution ( as recommended), but it doesn't do much good. It also costs pretty high with a gallon costing near to 1900 INR. wanna try the diesel way this week end
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    ^ pvgeorge, I await your results here. Even I want to know how to remove tar as there is quite a bit on the car after a drive on the highways. I have been told about diesel wash but have not tried it yet.

The car detailing guys remove it when I give the car for a full polish job and that works out to I think Rs.1500. Meguiars at Rs.1900 is ridiculous!
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3

My car had lot of tar on all the 4 doors and I removed it myself by using the clay bar (thanks to linealover). It removes the tar 100% without any damage to paint. Buy a clay bar it will last for years.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Where is clay bar available?is that available online?
  9. Linea2013

Linea2013 Timido

Trivandrum
    You can find clays in many online shopes, some of them are below:
    1. http://www.greenzcarcare.com/products/angelwax-claybar-heavy
    2. http://www.greenzcarcare.com/products/gyeon-q2m-clay
    3. http://www.viky.in/shopping/car-care-products-meguiars-detailing-clay?search=clay

You should also look for a good clay lube, if you have ONR, then dilute that to lube ratio or buy a clay lube like Gyeon Q2M Clay Lube.
  10. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You guys. you are not considering a few crucial points here.

If getting your car back to squeaky clean like the day it was delivered is your goal, then make sure first you have a running water hose. Now people have this already but the trick here is, you need

#1 SOFT WATER, not bore-well or hard water to clean out your car.

#2 Have a silicon based car shampoo, Amway, 3M and few other brands sell this kind of shampoos.

#3 Have a good car wax.(3M, Amway etc should do)

#4 You need old vests(banian, old cotton T-shirts) cloths for rubbing and 3-4 Micro fibre cloths for washing/drying.

If the car has too many tar spots or really dirty, use micro fibre cloth to first give it a wash, you may need to wash your car with the SOFT water and the silicon shampoo a couple of times or more. ONE VERY Crucial point is, FOAM is no indicator of strong dirt/tar removing. Only Detergent based shampoos usually give this foamy wash, but a few non detergent based car shampoos do this too.

Now the important thing here is, wash panel to panel dont apply the soap to entire car at a go, doing that may result in soap getting dried up on other panels by the time to return to wash it.

Remember to hose down the car from Top to Bottom always. Your first wash should loosen/remove most of the dirt or tar, and in your second was, get some DIESEL/car tar removing soap, not petrol or other agents to remove these.

When you use, diesel or tar removing agents make sure you dont soak that part for more than 2-5 minutes, or risk losing clear coat in that area.

Once the car is completely washed. Just give it a hose spray all over again. Then take your dry microfibre cloth/s and start drying your entire car to prepare it for the wax rub.

Now, when you start waxing, do this panel by panel too. Take some wax, apply a few dots on the panel and take some on the vest cloth and start with circular motion on the panel. Once the panel dries 50% or more take the clean microfibre cloth and wipe away the dried up wax. You should see your reflection on the panel if and when done well. If now dont re apply immediately. Finish all the other panels of the car and start over again.

This is some thing I have always followed at Home.

More often than not, drinking water and silione base shampoos have always removed all that Tar, Grime and Dirt on my car. I used diesel only once on my car, this was when I drove on new roads and I had chunks of tar stuck on the car. Even here I used diesel only to loosen the tar not wash it per say. All other things the car shampoo does just fine.
    Linea2013 likes this.