1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Beast on the Road:- Chevy Cruze with New FAM Z 2.0 VCDI VGT- Test Drive & Reviewv

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by BoseSuman, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Chevrolet Cruze with New FAM Z 2.0 VCDI VGT- Test Drive & Review:-

I always admired GM’s Cruze for its style, looks & brutal power. Those observations are from others and visual looks from road.
    Today I have an opportunity to experience all the above in actual.

Initial experience with GM:-

Showroom: - Kun Automobile Pvt limited, Kondapur, Hyderabad.
    Test Drive request date: - 08.11.2012 night 10.00P.M through internet.
    Test Drive Call: - 09.11.2012 at 2:15 P.M. I was on the way to catch train toward my hometown. Told them I will return on 19th Nov, asked them for test drive on 20th Nov.
    In my home town they reminded me again for test drive on 14th Nov. I returned from home town 19th Morning, they again called me yesterday evening to finalize the date & time. 20.11.2012 at 11:30 A.M.
    I wrote this just to check the gesture of a showroom folks. Very good.

Experience from other Makers:-

Honda: - enquired about Civic mud flap to fit in Punto earlier this year. Excellent approach to other customer only for a Mud flap (for other Brand Vehicle). Hats off to you Honda.

Volkswagen: - Filled the test drive request for Vento TDI Highline 3 months before, within 10 minutes got the call from Mumbai sales office. They checked with me for nearest dealer. Dealer called me after 1 week for test drive schedule, they told to send TD car in my office, still waiting for the same. Got feedback call from after 1 month from sales office Mumbai for TD feedback, told them I did not receive any test drive from dealer. They told to take proper action and again next day dealer asked me for test drive and vehicle. Till 2 months gone till now, no response from dealer.

So Got very good exp from Honda, and now Chevy, and really hats off to SA M.Vinay Kumar from Kun Kondapur for the above follow up for test drive.

Test Drive exp & Review in Detail: - 20.11.2012. 11:45 to 12:30:- 45 minutes drive
    Road: - Kondapur> Kothaguda junction>Gachibowli>Infosys>Wipro circle> back to Kondapur same way.
    Model offered for Test Drive: - Cruze 2.0 FAM Z VCDI LTZ Velvet Red color.

Exterior looks: - As same as earlier Cruze, now LT model comes with Front Fog Lamp.

Interior: - Black with gray combination. Rich feel with interior quality & Fit Finish.
    Now LTZ and LT are more similar except some cosmetic changes:-

LTZ equipped with LT Features and below:-
    Electric Sunroof with protective mesh, leather upholstery, leather steering wheel and gear knob, Rain sensing wiper system. Start-Stop functionality.
    LTZ AT: - LTZ features +6 Speed AT,
    LT model provide more sense for consideration.

ICE:- After new Speakers addition, now no need to change any speakers. Sounds are pretty good now in Mid & low range.

Omission in Cruze:-

Rear AC vent & Bluetooth Phone call, Only Bluetooth Audio streaming available. Only 2 Airbag available.

Driving experience:-

Pressed the start button and engine started. Little bit of diesel growl sound heard. But felt that GM has done pretty good job for Engine Refinement.
    Gear is very sleek and now equipped with 6 FWD +1 Reverse for both LT & LTZ.
    Gear ratio also very good and managed for both city & Highway.
    1st gear: - till 20 KMPH, then slotted on 2nd gear, engine sound was very minimal. Drove till 50 KMPH in 2nd gear, Cruze was asking for more in 2nd gear, but I changed gear to 3rd, and what a exp, drove till 90KMPH and Cruze was asking more, never felt I need 4th Gear till 100. Slotted 4th gear after 90 to check lag, velocity reduced to 60KMPH on the same RPM but no lag felt/ no jerk felt, smoothly pulled. Only one word came from Cruze: - Yeh Dil maange more, But I told this is enough for this test drive.

Only I can say after this test drive: - Simply superb all rounder except one: - Brake is not prominent as FIAT, but still is good in Cruze.

One Smile on my face: - Cruze equipped with HPS.

Drivability: - Drivability is really good in Cruze, Solid built & ride quality. No evidence of body roll. Turbo lag reduced considerably, my observation: - very minimal turbo lag,

Wheel: - 205/60 R16 Alloy wheel with JK tyre as default from GM.

Power: - Power increased from 150 PS to 166 PS ( 148 BHP to 164 BHP); Torque increased from 327Nm to 380 Nm.

Competition: -

I didn’t drive below cars from D1 Segment, So can’t comment on all others performance.

1. Volkswagen Jetta: - After exp with Test Drive of Vento, I don’t want to place any test drive request for any VW. Others can comment on the performance of Jetta, who drove it, comments are welcome.
    2. Toyota Corolla Altis: - Though Altis are equipped with top-notch quality but its 1.4L D4D no where match with Cruze, Cruze is simply beast on the road.
    3. Skoda Laura: - Heard lots of good review of Laura (not The ASS story), but same as Jetta, If anyone drove this comments are welcome.
    4. Hyundai Elantra: - I have experienced to seat inside New Sonata in USA, from that over all exp I can say, Elantra is nowhere to Cruze in terms of Power, Drivability & ride Quality.

So Options are Laura & Jetta. Comments are welcome from other member.

From My View: - After driving Cruze I think I don’t need to drive Laura or Jetta to be honest.

Price of Cruze: - in Hyderabad:-

Cruze Price-Hyd.JPG

Some Pics:-

Test Drive Vehicle:- LTZ MT ( Velvet Red)

Cruze TDV-1.JPG

Cruze TDV-3.JPG

Showroom Vehicle:- LTZ MT (Switchblade Silver)

Cruze SV-1.JPG

Cruze SV-2.JPG

Cruze SV-3.JPG

Cruze SV-4.JPG

Cruze SV-5.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    6 people like this.
  2. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Nice review buddy. The way those showroom guys followed up with you was really good. Something that every other showroom should learn.

P.S: When are you buying it then? :p
  3. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Thanks Hurricane.

Need to check Fiat's Plan, I am really impressed with Fiat Viaggio. If this comes to India, then need to decide, else Cruze is the next within 1-1.5 years :).
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Cruze is indeed an amazing car. 2 litres engine with immense power and torque combined with the agility of the vehicle makes it a hit.
  5. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Not sure about Viaggio presense in India But as of now it's definitely heading for china. Check out the three videos below. The Car definitely looks awesome. I really wish they launch this in India soon.

6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Technical Specification:- LT model makes more sense than LTZ, Sunroof & Cruise Control not required in Indian road condition.

Tech Spec 1.JPG

Tech Spec 2.JPG
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Are you sure to buy only Diesel? If so, Cruze is still the most powerful in the segment. But, the current generation Cruze is less fun to drive than the previous generation from what I have heard. I have never driven a Cruze.

For your reference, here is an owners perspective on Cruze when comparing with Linea. He owns both and also Jetta :). You may need to read his entire ownership thread to know what to expect from Cruze. This is what he said in one his posts.

"I have done around 180KMPH in Linea. In Cruze its 210KMPH.

At these speeds Linea is planted to the road and gives a solid feel of the handling. In corners too its really good. No issues. But it takes a long time to reach 180KMPH. ABS assited braking is great too.

Cruze on the other hand is planted to the road too, but its not as good as Linea in sharp corners in high speeds. That confidence which a European car gives is not there in the Cruze. Its a rocket all rght and in no time it accelerates to 200KMPH. As mentioned earlier my major grouse or negative about the Cruze is its not stable in high speeds when negotiating sharp turns. In a straight line its very good even at 210KMPH."

Read here

If you are not particular about Diesel, I would say Laura TSI is the real car for performance.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

It has very low GC that makes it more stable at high speeds. But service cost will be very high. What I read from reviews is that it has a huge turbo lag.
    Laura with a DSG gearbox may be quicker than cruze.
  9. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Linea 1.3

Ramesh, thanks for this input, Cruze is not best in high speed cornering as Fiat Linea. But it is near to linea, today I tried once at 90Kmph. I am looking for Diesel only. Fiat Viaggio looks relly good and seems it will come to India by 2014 end or 2015 probably. Don't see any plans for Fiat, but this will come in near future hopefully.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Sun, New Cruze has improved and new FAM Z engine has very minimal turbo lag. Earlier 2.0 engine has more lag as mentioned by others, but it is rectified now. And with 6 Speed Manual transmission Gears are sleek & ratio are properly matched for City & Highway. Drove in one of the dense road in Hyd ( kondapur- Gachibowli road) and never felt the turbo lag, mostly drove in 2nd- 3rd gear. Car pulls linearly & without any jerk. Reached 90Kmph in 3rd gear with normal growl of engine, no strain.
  10. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Dude, Sunroof is sunroof. Buying a car with a sunroof is purely a decision made by the HEART. Most people may find this feature pointless but I Just love it. It's fun.

Having said that, I am not going to fit one in my Punto as I can't even bear the thought of someone cutting the top. Added to that the reliability of after market sun roofs is a concern.

A good review. Thanks for sharing it here..

Most of the Indian roads, we can't even drive at 100+ constantly let alone 180 or 200. But for city and highway driving conditions Cruze is a fun to drive vehicle and is a rocket alright. Nevertheless, I hope FIAT launches Fiat Viaggio in INDIA and that too with a much needed rocket engine and I HOPE they keep that engine for themselves instead of sharing it with TATA's or MARUTI's

I am not sure about that turbo lag. I think its blown way out of proportion.
    The main problem with the Skoda is the cost of maintenance. It is a huge concern. The spares are just way too costly. My friend had one and as much as he enjoyed driving the vehicle, he eventually had to spend a lot on the maintenance.

I am not sure about Cruze though, looks like I have to dig up the ownership reviews to see how others are faring.