1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Auxillary drive belt & the Timing Chain.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, May 17, 2011.

1. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    No trust me on it they changed it for the reason of 45k kms as was told to me by service advisor. Not because it needed replacement. He clearlu stated that its fine now but its the routine procedure for diesel engine. I am thinking of taking this to higher ups? Suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @R.chopra, usually customers who pay up no questions asked are taken for a ride. I am a bit taken aback at the service bills you ended up paying. As paddleshifter mentions some charges could have been avoided straight away. Please ask for a quote on work and take SA into confidence and ask for verbal assurance that costs for certain important repairs should not shoot haywire.

Now instead of selling car (as per your thought initially) please use it to it's fullest. Just make sure you find the right people in Delhi who are honest and reasonable.
    1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Timing chain should not have been changed if it was not making noise at cold startups or engine noise had changed.

Is your battery stock one that came with car if yes then please get it checked once and cleaning the starter motor terminals should help if battery if fine.
    Normal service cost is around 6.5k.
    While giving your car for service give them a list of work(problem you face) that has to be done in addition of work mentioned in back of service coupon and say no to any cleaning, lubrication, flush, treatment etc.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    If your battery is stock one then like vijay said most probably it requires replacement. My car also had similar starting problems when it was 3.5 yrs old which was solved by replacing the battery.
  5. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    Hi the battery is just a year old and I replaced the stock one exactly a year back. Its definitely something else.

6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Very often parasitic current draw due to faulty relays or wrong wirings or faulty devices put load on battery leading to starting troubles, check those. The glow plug warning is also not there, so maybe they are performing fine. But still get them checked. So the problem maybe starter (coil) related also.
  7. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    Well as a matter of fact there was a warning once on dashboard two months or so ago. It was a yellow light with bulb and exclamatiom in between i wentvthrough the catlague it stated its check number plate light or brakpad which were fine? I forgot to tell SA about this could this be it as this light came only once?

I do have an amplifier and set of four speakers in my car which might be drawing extra current.

8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Disconnect it once for a couple of days and drive to see if battery regains cranking power. Any extra accessories incase could cause such drain.

There is a more accurate and thorough method for this. I will post link.

No. platelight issue is fairly common and many people have encountered it. It happens if there is a collision on the rear bumper (even by a bi-cycle) and the bulb somehow gets loose or malfunctions. There also seems to be a play in the bulb attachment (fitting) but not too sure about that.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Get the starter motor wire terminals cleaned and tightened first of all, I had same problem 2 year back of car failing to crank once in a while say 2 times in 10 tries after driving through water logged road cleaning it solved my problem.