1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Auxillary drive belt & the Timing Chain.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, May 17, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That is some information Vijyant 22ji. To me , these chains being changed anywhere below 1 Lakh km's is shocking .

Any idea whether the timing chains are being changed of a particular batch only or all ?

Gurjinder.
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Whoa! Now you got my full attention. I'm thinking of taking my Punto in for service at 40k (should come up in another 15 days) coz I have decided I will follow a 10k service interval.

@Vijyant 22ji: Should I ask the service center specifically to change the timing chain? Can you get more info if this is a FIAT directive for a particular batch or for all? I am assuming the running for the first few batches will be 40k+ to warrant action. If they are going to change timing chains for newer batches, I will be scared.
  3. Does this hold good for Punto too?
  4. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Thats true. There is absolutely no need other than specific fault or something, i believe. I am not aware of any batch or likes.

But on the hindsight I think it is more abt the approach of workshop. Some ppl may have proactive approach while others reactive. They heard some sound and changed it. I did not complain.
  5. Hi,
    Here I am looking for some convincing info on timing belt replacement for 1.4 Fire Petrol during 60k km/ 48 months service. (My odo is to the lower side now @ 48months, its only 39k now) The manual is pretty vague. At some places it clearly says 14 16V ( for eg. Change of spark plugs) at places such as aux timing belt, accsry belt it doesnt say any- that means its for MJD. Down, there is a mention of 'toothed timing belt' along with 1.4 16V so can I assume this is the right one? And as mentioned it has 'to be' changed at 4yr / 5 yr intervals? Any body who done the 60k/ 48mnth service for Petrol please provide experience on this. And, whether its just the belt replacement or a timing kit? @What cost for spare and labor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    The manual specifies that belt have to be changed at 60k kms or 4 years(if used in rough conditions like frequent start stop, dusty etc)/5 years(normal highway drives) whichever occurs earlier. Meaning if you complete 60k kms before 4/5 years you have to change it and if your car have completed 4/5 years even if your odo is just at 15k or anything less than 60k kms you have to still get the belt changed.
    Not sure but it would be kit instead of belt only but please contact any 1.4 Fire owner to know more about it. See this post here for more info on cost and labor charges http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-4-fire/116-my-fabulous-fiat-linea-97.html#post183751
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    Hi I am writing in regards to my fiat pinto 1.3 MJD, which is around 4.5 years old and has done 65K KMS. I have always given it for regular service sometimes they charged me 10K Sometimes 13K sometimes 16K. This time they charged me 25K coz one of the power window was faulty and timing belt was changed. I am attaching the copy of bill to just get it check from experts here if am not shelling out a lot? Because when i compare total service cost with my Innova which has done similar KMS its some 10k - 15k behind what these Fiat people have charged me till now.

Secondly now just fresh from service I am facing starting problem its doesn't take self and seems to have mood of its own when it wants to start and when it doesn't. Asked a service guy he suggested to change whole ignition system (used a handsome word for it which i can't recall) which costs another 10K. I am contemplating replacing this car, since its costing me a lot to run it any more? What do you suggest am I being charged a lot or these costs are normal in such cars lifetime?
    20140626_134504.jpg 20140626_134537.jpg
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There are a few un necessary things that you should have omitted out. I always ask the service centre that please do not lubricate my car. There is nothing they lubricate and its a standard practise in all service centres of almost all brands.

Omit the following:
    Car Lubrication
    Wheel alignment
    Wheel balancing
    Dry cleaning

3,000 would have been omitted from the 25k bill right away. Why was the timing chain changed at 45,000Km?? Was there any abnormal noise in the engine? I took my Punto to speed Fiat Chandigarh for right left wheel bearing replacement and he suggested me to get the timing chain replaced just by seeing the odometer reading. He said that my timing chain is making noise but since I have faced timing chain issues for 2 years on my bike, I knew it would definitely sound strange to me as well if there is a problem in chain.

- - - Merged Post - - -

My advise would be to stop visiting this service centre btw. They are recommending the change of parts, like the ignition system, just to make money from the labour charges.
  9. R.chopra

R.chopra

India
    No it was working fine for me engine was and is perfect even after change i dont feel any change in pickup or efficiency. I ll keep these points in mind for future. They changed timing belt as 5 years thing thats going on around the forum i guess.

But right now am more concerned about this another 10k expense of changing ignition as suggested to me by Tuli s mechanic.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No do not replace ignition right away. please consult another expert. By the way, I am not sure about it but it could be related to timing also. I have no idea. Those having adequate knowledge can comment better. Italia_Linea and Vijay Khasa please comment here.

This is something that I can not digest that they replaced the timing chain just because its been 5 years. If the timing chain goes bad, it starts creating noise.There is not much effect on pick up etc. My feeling is that the timing chain was fine but it was changed just because car was 5 years old now. Again, I could be wrong as I have not seen the car in person.