1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

The Auxillary drive belt & the Timing Chain.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, May 17, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    While going through the forum , i read about TFI'ans replacing Timing "belts" on their Multijets.

That puzzled me a fair bit and got me thinking.

The Multijet does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, which runs inside the timing cover , under a constant spray of oil or in an oil bath. ( Another reason to not take regular oil changes lightly)

It is the "Auxillary belt" which needs replacing every 60,000kms. An auxillary belt is one which drives other components of the engine , like the water pump , power steering pump etc, not the valvetrain ( the camshafts).

What is missing in the manual is the desired interval to replace this timing chain in the multijet.

The Linea manual simply states on Page 142 as a footnote with an asterisk (*) that - under severe use , replace timing "belt" every 4 years , else every 5 years. Most probably this is a typo , or an incomplete piece of information.

Anyone having more information is requested to contribute.

Gurjinder.

P.S. Any idea who handles technical queries at FIAT India/ FIAPL ?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I see entry of Timing Belt in Petrol Punto service details. For MJD it is not mentioned.

However the comments with * - is present in both MJD and Fire.

timing belt.jpg
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes Ravi. Thats what i need to enquire.

About the lifespan of timing chain , i've read that it can last 1,00,000kms or even the lifespan of the vehicle ; i.e. it never needs changing. But thats pushing the engine too far.

Gurjinder.
  4. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    T-belt warning lights available ?

Hi,
    Recently one of my cousins found the T-belt warning light on his Toyota innova at 1,50,000 Km.
    But I believe 1.3 multijet has an internal timing belt or not sure if its a chain.
    If an external belt ,I believe there should be a warning for T-belt replacement.
    -Srijit
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    I'm not sure whether FIATs have that feature.

But the Multijet runs a timing chain, and thats for sure.

I've e mailed a few people at Fiat regarding the interval for its replacement, but no response yet.

Gurjinder
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You are right ! Some engines do not have need to change timing chain till the whole life OR till its first overhaul. Just like engines of Bajaj Bikes. Timing chains of Bajaj bikes are famous for their superiour life.

BTW your Cigaar is great. & pose while taking photo is also impressive
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    LOL

Bhai thats not my photo :p. That is Che Guevara.
  8. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    @Gurjinder

where are those posts where the owners have got their timing chain or timing belt changed? May i request you to guide me there.
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Sure buddy. Here you go. This thread . Posts # 5,7 &9.

Gurjinder.
  10. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Thanx Gurjinder. Now I got it, Fastlove is driving a 1.4 linea, so his chg of timing belt is scheduled at 60k. Roshinlal's mjd had some noise problem hence the timing Chain was changed.

Why I became curious? This saturday I went to my regular workshop for 45K service. He told me the timing chain is to be changed and he changed it. There was a linea whose timing chain broke and engine was complete kaput. Except engine block all the parts had been ordered. I believe there is a modified timing chain which is now being changed either due to excessive noise or pro-actively by the company.

BTW my car had perhaps some noise which was not discernible to my ears, atleast.

FOR INFO: The power steering oil had been changed as the hose is opened during timing belt change and is charged. The sealant used for affixing the chamber has also been charged. No charges for timing chain or labour.