1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI - The Way Forward

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by amogh, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    My 2 cents

Quality of posts is something that IMHO is difficult to ensure if you have a large number of members. There are certain offensive posts that stand out and action can be taken against such posters through infractions and ultimately banning as was done for one of the members. However, banning as a rule, for not being able to put forth your views in a fluid and easily understandable manner, can not be and should not be a reason to invite the wrath of admins. I believe in the potency of internet as a medium that invites all kinds of thoughts and reasons, as well as its limitations in being able to ensure quality. A way out could be mods who look at language of each and every post and modify it to make it look reasonable.

FUlly agree. If we put our house in order, no one can point a finger.
    This is something, I bleieve, will come through maturity and that is not something that can be taught. Yet, having rules that do not allow any kind of competitive comparisons can make things drab and boring.
    Agree.

I am not sure if many users, who are not too net savvy, will even understand these terms. This again will require a strict patrolling by mods. But do we have such manpower to maintain the vigil? I guess not. Through the posts, I have seen a lot of enthusiasm coming forth for financial help, but help required for technical assistance is not too huge.

On the question of whether any involvement by Fiat India should be allowed, I feel it is a double edged sword. Whether or not engineers or tech honchos from Fiat will be interested in offering any help, is a million dollar question. Only if TFI develops a niche, can we expect such help to come forth. In such a scenario it can help the members by the expertise offered by Fiat as well as help Fiat in directly reaching the customer without the financial prism of the dealer. However, such involvements also run the danger of ruining the reputation of a forum if not handled properly.

Amogh, why not lay out what you have in mind regarding tech help and financial contribution and let the discussion flow from there. Once the thought process precipitates, you can implement the process.
    2 people like this.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    It's heartening to see such a response from all of you.

Walking down the memory lane, less than 1.5 years back we were just Google group. Bursting enthusiasm coupled a desire to improve & grow sow the seeds of an independent dedicated forum. The forum grew leaps & bounds & went from 500 to 1000 to >2000 members in a very short time. As Amogh mentioned, we did not anticipate such a response considering that it's a dedicated, exclusive forum for Fiat's New Generation cars.

And in the process, with as much resources as available, the forum encountered technical issues couple of times recently - Hacking as well as slowness due to increased load. Thanks to Countrock, the forum came out of the hacking issue & features were added in the template on vBulletin platform to which we migrated sometime back from pHpBB. But then, all these are signs of growth, signs of moving ahead. When you grow, you encounter challenges - that is one of the oldest natural laws.

Last but not the least, Quality of posts. We've mentioned it repeatedly in recent times and this is one thing which everybody has to collectively contribute towards. Of course, the moderation would be made stricter as mentioned earlier also but then nothing beats the self-disciplined posting in a forum.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

hello mods count me in..
  4. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Hey Friends / Mods, Where are we with this.. A lot of post in the initial stages and no words from your Mods / administrators.. Let us know what help you want..:clap
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    As Amogh mentioned earlier, we just wanted to bounce this off with all of you to decide future course of action basis feedback.
  6. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Hello Team, I m in. Please let us know where can we make donations or any other contributions that might be needed! TFI has helped each and everyone of us and I m sure all of us here have the responsibility keep this forum going.

Regarding the maintaining the Quality of Posts I have a suggestion (Dont know how practical it would be) Just an Idea :

Can we have something like a pop_up window which lists the *MOST* important posting rules in bullets (say 6 or 7) with a check box (Agree and Accept Posting Rules ) whenever user clicks on the "POST NEW THREAD" or "REPLY TO THREAD". SO it will will remind the user of the posting rules everytime he/she wants to post somthing in this forum .The user can proceed only when he/she checks the "Agree and Accept Posting Rules" check box.
    IF this gets a bit annoying for the Senior members who have been in this forum for a long time, we can have this features only for the new members (say less than 100 Posts.)

Warm Regards
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @minsipm your idea is good, but it will destroy the beauty of this open forum. It will really be annoying not only to senior members, but to all members. Sorry I really respect your suggestion , but I am just putting forth the mindset of a common user. Individual responsibility & a good moderation (I know it is difficult for the moderators to spend more time on this) would solve the issue . As of now I personally don't feel there are too many posts which lack quality. Most of this happens when the post goes Off Topic. A good warning by the mods should resolve such issues and the mods have definitely started doing this.
  8. mindsipn

mindsipn

Bangalore
    Cinju, You are right :).Even when I suggested this option, I knew it would be annoying for the users to get this pop up again and again but thought it would definitely be helpful in maintaining the posts quality which will in turn help the Mods too. When a user sees the Posting Rules repeatedly it will surly have some impact on him/her.
    And besides after the user crosses "100" post mark (or you can also lower this to say 70 Posts or may be less) , he wont have to see that pop-up again.
    But then again its just a thought :)
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Hi Amogh. Any progress here? I feel you should bring out the guidelines and there can be a discussion on that.
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond

New Delhi
    Yes I myself was surprised to see this group after 6 months of acquiring Fiat Linea Tjet. Infact i didn't come across this even during my search period March-May 2011.
    Now that i am member, would like to support all endevours to make this an interesting & lively forum.

So here is how i can contribute

1. To start off with voluntary contribution as may be opened up.

2.I am from marketing field and presently head the marketing of a large rural retail chain, so can help in marketing this forum among media etc and even google ads to enable revenue generations.

3. To contribute to vendor search, development, cost negotiations for all Team Fiat merchandise etc which has been discussed by various others.

4. Organise Fiat tours in North India as I am based in Delhi and have covered over 25 states of India (as I am a travelling Vagabond with a Scorpio & Royal Enfield Thunderbird also in my garage). So we can generate revenue as stated earlier by one of the forum members.

5.Organise PR for the forum as can network and reach to journos.

6. If the forum members & Mods deceides and agrees, then i can connect with Fiat India also as I have good friend in Fiat India Marketing team, on whose assurance(on service as that was my only concern) I finally bought my Fiat Linea.

Kudos to the efforts, so lets keep this alive.

cheers
    Vagabond