1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI Official "Aftermarket" In Car Entertainment (ICE) upgrade guide v2

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not a treble lover at all. Also dont think the stock speaker system is a component speaker system, so no tweeter, but not sure.

About Indica I have responded on my Punto ownership thread as it will OT here. Have tagged you so you should get the alert
  2. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its not that I dont want to cut the tray, but will the speakers not vibrate if fitted in the company provided tray?
    Ported boxes..hmm...but will they stay put on the tray? Velcro?

You are either going to be a long time friends for me or a close enemy :). In every post you have advised me to get an Amp, and now I have increased my budget by 5-5.5 k just for it. Having hard time convincing how that money is more useful for an amp rather than some Festival shipping for better half :p.
    Please dont convince me for an sub now. Already started looking for 8" sub, but budget constraints for now and would like to grow to that music taste. Let's get the basics done along with an amp.Sub may come later..though I pray I dont go that route....
  4. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Kunwar.g

Stock tweeter of Punto & HU looking great in some EU Punto.

tweeter.JPG

DSC_4935_pp.jpg

20110128_008.jpg
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They do stay put and vibrate only if loose or at loud/louder volume. People install them this way all the time. Except me personally not in favour of cutting it.

EDIT: this is how the box looks like.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8d73eA2ceQzrel2-VjG5a0CHWEmTSA-Wj_0N40SWYYH4lLHlG

A friendly advice then, one that won't need justifying or won't backfire. Get the shopping for home ministry done first, leave out the amp. Just install the ovals the way you like and be happy for some time. All advice comes with standard disclaimer, T&C apply. :D
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    kunwar.g and fiatcrazy like this.
  6. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Can we take followings into steps :

1. Front Door - Polk DB6501
    2. Dampmat 1 layer
    3. 6x9 or 8"+tweeters on MDF tray ( better than the 5.5" or 6.5" on rear door )
    4. Amp 4 channel & Dampmat layers.
    5. mono Amp & Sub & Dampmat on boot.
    3.5 or 6. HU - this may be prioritize according to USB & BT needs.

this will also give fare idea what exactly our requirement of putting money into balance system, dont you think in this way ? kunwar.g

asimpleson & PaddleShifter : please guide us.

amogh : really missed the your message due to latest page open everytime,

Also as you know I m newbie to this forum, dont know how to move or make new threads like this,
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You could go for any good rated and reviewed speakers, Polk DB or Infinity Kappa or Hert ESK.

Sound waves need enclosed environment. The damping sheets act as barrier to reduce vibration and distortion in the panels.

Actually only 8" sub could work (better for a hatch back behind read seat or active sub below front passenger seat), but for a better surround and listening comfort and cabin filling of sound rear channel, mids are needed, therefore ovals or components cannot (should not) be avoided. Perhaps upgraded at later stage due to budget constraints if any.

The more the damping the better for a high powered system. Esp. if we are looking at 100W+100W+300W RMS for the car. Even at half this volume the occupants will feel the volume is too high and enough punch is there.

HU with USB atleast is needed, however these days its good to have Bluetooth also. If you look hard enough a 1-din 3RCA will be available at slight budget flex and will provide good room for tweaking and discrete channel control. Really there are no shortcuts here. However, if you risk upsetting home ministry please refrain from excess spending. ;)
    kunwar.g and fiatcrazy like this.
  8. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    asimpleson thanks very much, honestly it really helped & feeling relaxed.

tried to sort the steps, if the complete ICEing done step by step,

option 1. Set budget buy all accordingly.
    option 2. Set budget buy components first for front door, dampmatting, 4 ch amp, mono amp +sub, & HU ( e.g. in a gap of 2-3 months )
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Next question in my quest to know more :)

Some component speakers have cross-over are LP and HP , and some are just HP cross-over. Now if the cross-over has just HP filteration then it means that both Low and Mid frequency get to the woofer speakers. And if so then in case of HP & LP crossover the Mid is getting lost somewhere as the cross-over would only let the HP and LP pass through. Is this understanding correct ?
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    High pass will allow specific frequency range to be played by the tweeters. Low pass will be set to cut-off lower frequency (bass notes) to be handled only by the Subwoofer. For eg. the component can be configured to play mid to low freqency only till say 100hz anything below that won't play on the component, and could be set to be handled by the Subwoofer. 100hz here is what is meant by "crossover" frequency. Sometimes passively via resistors or capacitors as is commonly seen for tweeters, at other times in an active manner, also possible via HU or a special active crossover PCB. Then there is also bandpass filtering. You could figure that out reading online.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    fiatcrazy likes this.