1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI Official "Aftermarket" In Car Entertainment (ICE) upgrade guide v2

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can add polyfill in a Subwoofer enclosure and not to the thread.. :wacky:
    It won't affect how the thread sounds.. :hilarious:
    kunwar.g, PaddleShifter and fiatcrazy like this.
  2. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    yup, thread will sound deeper :joyful:

dont know what will happen to glass moment & power window mechanism if filled the polyfill inside the front door ? a dynamiting on inside wall is also make some difference ? In my calculations the 6.5" speaker require more space to work proper & Polyfill seems only solution here so far ?
    asimpleson and PaddleShifter like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    :D Dynamiting will potentially blow the glass windows and doors and occupants..unless you mean dynamat. :eek: :joyful: Careful now Fiatcrazy..!

Yes polyfill is avoided for the very same reason of glasses and window winders etc. There are some plastic enclosures I saw online sometime back for door speakers, but they weren't as big and proper solution. Therefore the custom fiberglass molding or door panel speaker pods etc., more popular in the west.
  4. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    thats autocorrection feature of browser spell check, which changed Dynamatting to Dynamiting. In india we say brush teeth - colgating. So Sound Deadening may refer to more methods than pasting a sheet made of Tar & Aluminum weighing a Kg per sq ft.

May I ask, the capacitor installed in your friends SX4 is super capacitor, can you check its leakage ratings ? & cost too.

The configuration was really awesome, may be due to unavailability Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 is used instead of Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997 which is more to audiophiles taste at almost same price tags.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, its the usual bottle size capacitor (cylinder with a LED readout on top). The price is approx 4.5k although good ones are available from 3.5K also. Chinese I guess no brand name mentioned. 1.5 farad rated.

EDIT: there is a thread on capacitors, the battery on this car was bit on lower spec. perhaps a din smaller. The dimming is still there esp. when the Subwoofers (amps) are drawing power even at mid volume.

Yes you are correct, also the pricing looked good. Esp. the fact that internal amp. could be disabled perhaps also saving a bit on battery power waste and heat dissipation; an unnecessary waste otherwise in many HUs.

JVC 90BT was a first choice in that budget approx. max 15-16k. But could not find locally, out of stock. Pioneer 80PRS was chosen (searched) which was expensive, but we could not wait so long (abt 10days) for delivery of the same, even online or locally. Costed about 24-27k INR. Pioneer 80PRS is "true" audiophile class IMO. Would still sound tad better than Kenwood which itself is too good at the price point. No complains there. :)
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Using a capacitor in Maruti & Hyundai cars seems a must, generally both companies use the optimal components ( like battery & alternator relate here ) for efficiency & cost cutting.

The size of the capacitor is huge as its a 1.5 farad (15,00,000 microfarad), but according to the price it seems a normal polyester film kind of capacitor, Super Capacitors are different which cost usually 3 times of a normal battery cost i.e. around 15K. the good part of Super Capacitors are the leakage rating of these are even better than the normal battery. Normal Poyester film capacitors are little dangerous (if around temperature rises & aging) & consumes very minor electricity which may drain the battery if not started the car about 10~15days ( depends on quality of cap) if it is parallel wired to battery without any relay or switch.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not so much a fan of the Valeo alternators in Linea/Punto, the older Magnet Marelli were much more robust built I think. Maruti prices them better I think, also QC and localization is better in these things esp. cost vs performance is concerned.

I am not sure people are using so many super capacitors here, yes I saw some video sometime back were a guy joined a couple of those to even replace his battery. The fun part of the project was it was also easily chargeable with portable (foldable) photo voltaic cells. Multiple cranks were also very good on the same. Can't say if these were supercaps, they costed him if I heard correctly something like $6 per cap. Looked similar to this 1.5farad one I mentioned.

EDIT: I think the brand was Maxwell (black coloured) with big white label
    EDIT2: added pic. looked pretty much this way. Video on youtube.

5408799747_b933ec857a_z.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it just me or really the discussion in getting too technical and detailed for what this thread was intended for. Please dont take me wrong, all that you are discussing is valid and is a wealth of knowledge that is being shared her, but may be we need this thread for the very basics :) Apologies if I unintentionally hurt anyone's feeling, though fiatians are also supposed to be Built like a tank.

On that note- i have my next question - Will the 6*9 oval 3-way speakers be better than the 6.5 co-axial, in terms of creating the sound stage and also Bass effect. The only downside is that investment has to be done on a MTF tray.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Kunwar.g out of similar observation, you will see there is already a request to MOD on this line in a prior post. :)
    There are really a lot of areas and tons of technical knowhow for those serious about this topic. No wonder there are even dedicated forums on such subjects.

Yes always, 3way ovals will be a good option esp. for those wanting to avoid sub-woofer investment. Helps with some bass frequency cover. However, when used along with a Sub (even with an 8" ported one) the sound really gets complete. If you don't want to cut the tray make small ported boxes in the rear and mount in those. Once again, I must suggest adding atleast a 4 channel amp for better speaker handling and much better clarity and power where needed.
  10. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @fiatcrazy : we will be moving your posts to a new thread. Honestly I have no idea what is it that you are intending to do : an install or just brainstorming ideas. In either case it's better off being done in a separate thread. This thread is for routine queries only.