1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI Official "Aftermarket" In Car Entertainment (ICE) upgrade guide v2

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @mohdshea, Please check on google, I would be surprised to find it 40RMS per channel. It should read 80RMS per channel meaning 160W RMS per pair left and right combined and also mentioned should be ohm load, generally Blaupunkts are 3ohm stable rated. Always rely on information on company website and reverify two three places more. Kindly invest in VC172 if possible.
    mohdshea likes this.
  2. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson I had already made the purchase. I didn't choose velocity only because of the required RMS power of 80watts.may be next upgrade I can install it on front and the current gt power to the back.
    I was also going through various options available for damping ( read it cheap)
    I also ordered auto accessories universal car damping material from their site. It was cheap. Bit skeptic about the end result. Anyway something is better than nothing.
  3. Sadiq ali

Sadiq ali Timido

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi ,

I own punto emotion 90 hp . I am not aware of music system , speakers and all . I asked many car decors about fixing of amplifier , speakers and woofers to factory made HU , few say i need to change HU , few say its possible by adding pre conductors .
    My question is ,Can i add a amplifier , woofer and speakers to system (this system is the default system which i got from showroom along with car)

Please help me out of this confusion .
    Regards,
    Ali
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sadiq ali, you can add an amplifier that does not require and convertor. If you are using factory HU please buy amp that accepts line level input. Convertor is required if an amp comes only with RCA connectors. And mind you many convertors have their own issues with humming or clarity of sound. For best clarity and clean output generally an all RCA setup from HU to AMP is recommended with high voltage headunit providing 4V to 6V outputs and also a 3RCA setup. But it also adds to more cost and complexity like adding steering controls harness (connects2 brand)and such.

So if you are on a budget and do not want to spend much please go for a 4 channel amp like Blaupunkt 455EMA with speaker level (high level) inputs feature.

You can add an extra 2channel amp too and make a 4.1 channel setup or a 2.1 channel setup from a single 4-channel amp. In this case you can drive the rear speakers from HU itself. You can install speakers and amps and woofers on the factory HU as you asked.

g023EMA455-o_angle.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Sadiq ali likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Finally got rid of the OEM head unit and the Pioneer DEH 80 PRS headunit installed. A 2nd 4 channel class d amp went it as well. The fascia is not OEM one, have ordered one on 99rpm and its already a month and they are yet to ship. Will replace once I receive it, till then need to make do with the after market fascia (color does not match).

PS: Excuse me on two counts, the mobile quality pics and the crap bit rate song that is being played when the picture was taken.

20151128_200952029.jpg

20151129_093942026.jpg
    asimpleson and rajks like this.
  6. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson @kunwar.g
    Guys.. Thanks a lot.. I finally did it and oops, it really paid off well. I am so happy. I should have done this earlier. Much better than what I expected!!! Damping was also done with autotrends universal damping sheet. No rattles, sound output is immensely great!!! I don't listen to loud music much earlier, but now I think things have changed a bit. learnt a lot of things.
    And one more thing, my model is emotion and the front tweeter area was blank. Heard that front had tweeters.
    Anyway, the overall experience was immensely satisfying and I am truly loving it. Thank you guys.

IMG_20151203_123519.jpg

IMG_20151203_111806.jpg

IMG_20151203_113214.jpg

IMG_20151203_115032.jpg
    kunwar.g and asimpleson like this.
  7. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    What speakers do younhave at front.
  8. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @nkrishnap its Blaupunkt Gt power 65.2 components. I newer new the results will be so good. I chose these components cuz of two reasons,
    1. Cost! It was available at snapdeal for 2400.
    2. Amplifier matching.

I would have chosen the velocity series. It was available for 3300. But I red somewhere that its better to chose amplifier with more RMS power than speakers. Gt power have 65 watts RMS for a pair of speakers. My amplifier have 60 w RMS per channel. So more than adequate power. Results- no distortion enen if I pump my volume to maximum.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It is good to have amp that matches RMS but not totally necessary. A sustained output of 80-100W RMS is extremely loud to cause hearing fatigue and damage. However an amp that can give sustained output at an impedance like 2ohm or 3ohm rating is much more valuable from volume and power and clarity perspective. Of course these need 2ohm or 3ohm rated speakers as well.

However, most amps rated at 4ohm will also give sufficient volume and clarity for liking of most enthusiasts. You can have an amp rated at 4ohm driving components of 3ohm but not the other way as the speaker voice coils could endure damage. But incase the speakers are underrated than amp, then possibly the gains should be kept at minimal to ensure the speakers voice coils are not overloaded.

Generally voice coils on most component setups are very capable and perform seamlessly inspite of spec mis-matches so nothing really to worry about. But going by the book has long term advantages.

@mohdshea, make sure the gains on the amp are kept just enough till the speakers' burn-in period. High gains than necessary will unnecessarily heat the amp and drive speakers more violently. You have to start from 0 on gains and gradually increase for just the right volume you will ever want to hear. Sufficiently loud but not too loud. And at no point either from HU @ about 75% volume and setting at amp should it cause the slightest distortion.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    mohdshea and nkrishnap like this.
  10. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Spot on. Having speakers with higher impedance than amp is safer, but ideal is to match it. No one can sit at high volumes for long period of times, if you do, ears will go for a toss. Clarity outweighs the loudness for me. Thats how its set up in my car.

Thinking of switching to two 10 inch subs or 8 inch subs keep the bass quite tight. The 12 inch even with low gains is not that tight.
    mohdshea likes this.