1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI Official "Aftermarket" In Car Entertainment (ICE) upgrade guide v2

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would side with the BP product as I dont have much trust in JBLs. Market is flooded with fake JBL products at such cheap prices. Also if you look at the configuration the BP has slightly more power than the JBL. Not a single negative feedback on snapdeal for this model vs 2-3 negative feedback for the JBL on the snapdeal jbl gx A644si.

But before you just choose on the Amp, do also check which speaker you would be going for and would either of these models suffice for the set.
    mohdshea likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @mohdshea, crutchfield gave you more like a theoretical suggestion, practically even if the amp can deliver 40W RMS continous, it can be really uncomfortable after a while, especially if a senior person is travelling with Blood Pressure trouble.
    JBL has better market support from resellers and dealers so please buy that from local market and bargain hard. Make sure you have bill and warranty. You could get it cheaper. Ask installer for any OFC free cable. Tell him you can do with any brand that is cheap provided it is OFC and correct guage (AWG). Make sure good quality fuse with cover is installed.

jbl.jpg
  3. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g @asimpleson
    I finalized on Blaupunkt Ema 455 amplifier and Blaupunkt cx170 components for front. To Clear my doubt I called Blaupunkt help line number, from where I was directed to Mr. Anil Das who was very helpful. For velocity series the 55w amplifier might suffer and get hot on high volume. He also confirmed that its better to go for more powerful amplifier in terms of RMS power. Also he said if I connect two channels for powering front cx170 components and other two channels for powering the sub, then also the load on the amplifier will be high and might get hot and there are chances of damaging the amplifier.
    What he suggested is that keep the 4 channel amp for powering the 4 door speakers and get another 2 channel amp for powering the sub.
    I have this feeling that let me first check with the old plan, ie, Ema 455 to power both cx170 and the sub woofer and see if the amplifier is getting hot. Anyway I am not going to use loud volume.
    Will that be a problem?
    If I reposition the amplifier's position from boot to under seat position, will that have any beneficial effects on this heating issue?
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 16, 2015 ---
    @asimpleson local market bargaining is very difficult in my place I suppose. Don't know why! For the jbl amplifier the price is above 7000 and the Ema 455 is for 6300.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Raaz likes this.
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The prices difference between the EMA 455 and GTA 470 SF is around 1600.00. Would recommend the GTA as it has more power and specially in the bridged mode it will will decent enough power to a decent subwoofer and not get as hot. Check out the power difference

55 watts x4 @ 4 ohms
    80 watts x4 @ 2 ohms
    165 watts x2 @ 4 ohms BRIDEGED

70 watts x4 @ 4 ohms
    100 watts x4 @ 2 ohms
    200 watts x2 @ 4 ohms BRIDEGED

Why would you want to bridge the 2 channels for the front components ? In that case you will also have no control over the left and right speakers sperately.

Regarding the positioining under front seat, do check the spacing there and the dimention of the amps. The GTA will surely not fit. The EMA 455 might just, but not sure it it will have enough clearance on top. The floor under the front seats is not flat. But that place will surely be cooler than the boot. Howe much will that effect the functioning of the amp is something the experts can help you with or your installer. You will surely save on wiring cost if you place the amp under the front seat :)
    mohdshea likes this.
  5. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g since I am still using the OEM HU without RCA low level output I will have to use convertors which as far as I know makes more complications and unwanted noise. So, planning for Ema 455 as its having high level speaker inputs.
    Anyway its already ordered and good or bad I will have to face it.:angelic:
    I was playing safe. Anyway I had done one more thing, I ordered Blaupunkt gt power 65.2 components from snapdeal itself. Almost same specs and configuration as cx170 and having good reviews in many sites.
    I was never planning to bridge the components. Only for subs.
    Thanks again for all your valuable advises.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Best way will be to get a high low converter installed from some shop in your area. If it greats any problem dont buy it, if it doesnt create any problem then go for it. Branded ones were used in a friends 90hp Punto and it created clipping of the amp only at high volume. At normal volume it was all fine.
  7. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Why take that risk when we have the option for a speaker level input? Anyway, I think it was a reasonably cheap buy from snapdeal. Both combined coast was 6400!
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The only problem I see with speaker level input is that the signal is first converted to speaker level by the stock HU ( which we know how good it is ) then it get amplified by the amplifier and then again converted to speaker level to go to the speaker. All this on the same speaker wife. The RCA cable has cleaner signal and better grouding IMO. Those are some reason I went for a HU change. But still the HU has same color display so doesnt look so much out of place.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g, the idea to get RCA inputs is always better. Hence HU upgrades are good. But when on budget one has to make do with whatever best is available at hand. A good line to RCA convertor is about 3.5k like Rockford Fosgate provides one, the cheaper ones work to, but a cleaner signal and Hi-Volt output like some HUs provide 4V to 6V for RCA is recommended. Therefore one would think a better implementation could be provided in an amp to handle line-level input since the PCBs and circuits are more thoroughly designed and tested. So I guess if no noise is evident in the system, the line-level inputs on amp should be okay.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson @kunwar.g
    That's interesting!!
    I don't know if the amazon dealer is bluffing. I had asked him if I am using Blaupunkt Ema 455 amplifier, how can I use Blaupunkt velocity as the required RMS power for velocity is 80 and that of amplifier is 55. His answer is that the required RMS power of 80 is for 2 speakers. So, only 40 watts RMS per channel required. Is that right???