1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI Official "Aftermarket" In Car Entertainment (ICE) upgrade guide v2

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I have been fortunate to have hours and days of listening to Focals, Infinity, Kickers, Rockford, Polks, Blaupunkts in various configurations, but Morels are the best of the lot only to be surpassed by very few (not so much available here) brands from US and Europe. Ofcourse Focals, Audioson etc. are fantastic brands themselves for audiophiles, but we are talking about entry level systems here and even there Morels stand out clearly in the Midbass and tweet regions.

The problem is that every speaker design, material, fabrication, has a distinct sound signature and range which is speciality of each brand.
    Therefore it is best to buy one brand rather than mix matching. You will have complains and not be satisfied with either brand of speakers in case of mix match no matter how expensive the speakers are. Have committed this mistake before. ;) Only exception to this rule being the subwoofer to a large extent, which should have controllable power and needs a perfect enclosure design as per its theile-small parameters. But underseat subs save you from all those design and fabrication complexity issues. And within their limitations of driver size of 8" or 10" deliver reasonable performance mainly with the huge benefit of space savings.

You definitely go for rear co-axials if budget contraints are there, and you can power them directly from HU incase you are choosing just a 2 channel amp for front components. In which case you could go for Morel 5C also. Just to envelope the cabin with sound for rear passengers.

Ideally ofcourse, instead of those you should have rear ovals from Morel because you are already going to be slightly bass starving inspite of underseat subwoofer. Ofcourse in which case you will need a 4 channel amp for front comps. + rear ovals which perform much better with more power.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for another detailed reply @asimpleson . The only downside of this is that now I would be bombarding you with more questions :joyful:.Well I have thought of going with 4 channel amp only. Now as you have said that different company speakers in the front and rear might hamper the sound stage I will have the all the speakers of the same brand (Morel), even if it would take me some more time to build the kind of Vitamin M :D Also, should I stick with the 5.25" at the rear or going with 6.5" would make more sense given that I would changing the whole set up? It would be great if you could give a tentative cost of this set up i.e front and rear speakers (Morel), a decent 4 channel amp, installation cost etc.
    Also, would I be getting anything for my stock Evo 90 hp speakers :shame:
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Turbothinghy the speakers suggested and prices will be available on Amazon.in. However, you could get much cheaper deals in the local market also. I am not aware much of dealers in Pune dealing in Morel, but Pune TFIans could suggest you shops that have or could procure these. If you want I can help you locate these or help get quotes for the same but from Mumbai dealers. Let me know your plans via PM. You can get better killer deals on this hardware in Mumbai than Pune as per my observation. Simply due to more competition and bigger market.

6.5" co-ax or components at rear will provide more sound volume and better bass characteristics, but that would be marginal ofcourse, there is a difference in MID-BASS and actual sub.-bass. So if money permits 6.5 is better to buy but not so much as necessary. And again 6x9s are best in your config scenario but you will need to cut parcel tray (costs 1k Rs. new from Fiat as on date), and if you dont want to cut that we might need to get fibre or mdf type fabricated enclosure for same.

My rough guess is excluding underseat subwoofer about Rs. 30k although will depend on lots of variants. Installation cost could include this or even increase/decrease further depending on small and big options you choose in cabling, or part dampening etc should you so choose. If you have a bigger budget perhaps better amps, if you have much lesser budget we can altogether look at some different brand and configuration. PM me if you need details and links or sources, you could get in touch with people at Mumbai too who maybe could provide authentic quality stuff to the Pune installer of your choice. Or you could drive down to Mumbai dealers if you visit here and get it done here. :)
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sure. Driving down to Mumbai is a frequent affair as I have a lot of relatives and friends. Will PM you the details.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy & @asimpleson
    With bird view on your discussion.Keep updating here. :).i want to upgrade with speakers only.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    This is what I have thought as far as speakers are concerned, courtesy @asimpleson.

Front speakers :

Morel Maximo 6.5" 2 -way component speakers/Morel Tempo. Tempo is costlier And better but Maximo is also great for the price.

Rear speakers:

Morel 5.25" co-axial speakers
    If you can stretch a little then you can buy Morel 6.5" co-axial or Morel 5.25" component speakers as well.

I have gone through some online reviews pertaining to the Morel speakers and it has pretty good review everywhere.

Apart from this I would be going for a 4 channel amp that would be fitted under rear seat.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Anything that can pump out atleast 70w RMS per channel. We can safely sun at half the power for prolonged period of time.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I want to put rear speakers for my Palio. I dont want to fit it to the parcel tray.

Palio has a provision to fit the speakers near parcel tray ( there is plastic housing for the same). I shortlisted Blaupunkt VC542 13CM speakers. Below are the specs for VC542.

Performance Vc 542

Peak power handling 280 Watt
    RMS power handling 70 Watt
    Impedance 3 ohms
    Frequency response 45-25.000 Hz
    Sensitivity 91 dB (2.83 V/m)

Is there any other option for this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @asimpleson it is not possible to fit the oval speakers in Palio plastic housing.

The one I mentioned above are the small speakers which generates good power output.