1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI is Hibernating. Now LIVE

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Improvements' started by amogh, Apr 29, 2016.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear TFI'ians,

I posted an announcement yesterday regarding shutting down TFI on 1st June 2016.

Since it was posted in the announcements section, members could not respond there. I have received quite a bit of Whatsapp, Facebook messages and a few e-mails. Let me dispel a few thoughts that were raised by members regarding the reasons behind this action.

1. Lack of funds? : This absolutely is NOT the issue. In fact, we have a long-term contract with the hosting provider with prices locked in. Funds are the least of our concerns

2. No traffic? : Again, this is NOT a contributing factor. We get over 3 lac page views a day which is significantly large given the size and focus of our forum. Yes, we have not hit explosive growth, but we are growing!

Then why this decision? As explained in the original post this has largely got to do with what FIAT is doing in India. They appear completely directionless, disconnected from the customers and least bothered about keeping a consistent and open dialogue with enthusiasts who are ready to support them. How many other manufacturers in India have such dedicated forums? Why should we spend our resources on someone who is least bothered about what their customers voice? We have been debating about "What Next" for quite some time and this decision was inevitable.

Agreed, we never started the forum with the intention of engaging FIAT. But, given the way things have gone in the past few years, I do not see any indications of FIAT achieving anything substantial in the Indian market. We would have happily run this forum if there was something exciting to look up to. But with no new models, the same boring powertrains, shrinking sales and service network there is hardly a bright spot. Please do not give me the JEEP argument. We have heard about it since 2012. The "1.6 MJD" will only remain a scoop!

Put yourself and in my and the moderator teams shoes. Would you like to be a part of something that is associated with a brand that is perceived as lethargic? Have you seen any novelty in the type of posts that are seen on the forum? The freshness and excitement are almost non-existent. This action is a result of collective sadness, frustration and anger we have towards FIAT. If we were to do a sentiment analysis of the discussions on the forum over the past one year, it will be anything but positive. And I do not wish this platform to become a ranting ground and source of negativity. When we started, the forum was full of exuberance, excitement and vigour. Sadly, most of it now has diminished.

The saddest part of this is going to be losing the network that we have created over the years. But with alternative technologies and platforms (Whatsapp Groups, Facebook, etc.) I do not see why people will struggle to stay in touch.

Amogh
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
    Ps_, gautham, vista7155 and 10 others like this.
  2. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    i dont know what negativity you are talking about. you mentioned that forum has lost it's exuberance, excitement and vigour. Damn man. I took 90HP just because of this forum. That too very recently in Feb 2016. The passionate reviews, the passionate words about fiat made my decision so easy. Without TFI i wouldnt have even thought about Fiat. So if you keen on shutting this site down. My suggestion - Just dont simply cut it off. Lock all the threads so no one can post anything anymore. Let it be a read only site. By this we can keep wealth of information intact. Removing the forum completely is really bad. And it's something a true fan will not do to his fellow FIATians.
    @amogh
  4. karaka

karaka Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    The only reason we bought FIAT last year was this forum, & we always thought we have some body behind us. Until now was very proud of my decision. Now with this do not know where to share our concerns.

If you are not happy with FIAT for being direction less not caring enough.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
    i_mysterious1 and thefiatguy like this.
  5. karaka

karaka Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    What are you then, you are also on the same boat.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
  6. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @amogh,

trust me when i tell you this. you are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing. Fiat really doesn't care about india or its customers life.

From all that you said above , let me add that you will be saving many lives by not recommending fiat to anyone.

It its actually good that fiat loses market share and move out of India. Don't understand why people are crying about it.

I used be a fiat fan , but after a certain incident , i am no more a fiat fan.

Stay safe people!.

Also sorry for @Deepak on his purchase. Hope you take care of yourself and your family.
    vista7155 likes this.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @zam123:dude, dont be sorry. i have taken fiat after knowing all the niggles. it's just that this forum has directed me in the right path. Now irrespective of this forum exists or not, I would always remain a Fiat fan. thanks for ur concern.
    cassini, Ashpalio, kishorekrs and 2 others like this.
  8. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Dear @amogh

I am very new entrant in this forum. I joined probably last September / October.

What you have said , I partly agree. But besides that we have travelogues, DIY and other technical areas where we enjoy ourselves.

We ( As because many are against shutting down) know the way FCA is functioning. Do you think shutting down this site would bother FCA? I don't think so. FCA will continue its way.

But we love Fiat cars from our hearts. Even knowing what FIAT is doing , we still buy Fiat cars. Why??

I would request you to look into the matter once again. Please. I love this site and I had fallen in love of it just as I love my Avvy.
    GirishRaghu likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    IMHO, a forum might be started by a few, moderated by a few others, but actually belongs to all its members. Shutting down a forum is a knee jerk reaction to the reasons quoted.

Let us analyze these statements one by one.

1. Perhaps finding a new mod team would be the way to go. As I always say, we own the car not the brand. How many of us are going to sell off our cars, because FIAT is lethargic? Well, our next car might not be a FIAT, but FIAT's attitude will never be the sole reason to sell our cars. Perhaps bringing other brands into the fold would be one option.

2. This might require us to introspect. This might require us to ask ourselves some tough questions and be honest with ourselves in answering those questions. Take my own example. When I did a DIY Cruise Control installation, this forum was the first to know. That thread was on fire for several days. Without getting into details, let us just say I stopped being an active member here. Does that mean I stopped doing unique DIY experiments with my car? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I am in the middle of more exciting DIYs like ESP and development of an Android based interactive application for my car. I just do not share the details here any longer. Let us ask ourselves WHY and be honest in answering it.

3. FIAT is a brand that invokes a variety of sentimental reactions from owners. That has always been the case. Why do have so many forums dedicated to this single brand? IMHO, it is like forming a support group. From personal experience, FIAT owners are a helpful lot and tend to extend themselves to reach out to, guide and help fellow FIAT owners when needed.

I feel that keeping this platform alive or not must be a collective decision of the members - at least the active ones - and not just an arbitrary decision of a handful of moderators and administrators. After all, most information, knowledge and experiences found in this platform are contributed by the members.

Just my 2ยข
    cassini, ravimathi, mohdshea and 16 others like this.
  10. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Agreed, this was platform for Enthusiast owning FIAT. But if we look at another angle; we are enthusiast about cars (loyal/inclined to FIAT for certain attributes). So, why can't we grow bigger and welcome other enthusiast on board providing platform irrespective of brand (lets drop FIAT branding)