1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI FIAT 2012 Linea & Punto launch report

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by gurjinder, Jan 4, 2012.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Thanks Gurjinder for the report.
    I think I understand what Rajeev Kapoor meant when he said 1.6MJD would put Linea into a different category.
    With current Linea being comparably priced with Verna and Vento, putting in 1.6 would push up the cost of Linea into the Cruze region. Even if they provide features to match that category, it will look odd to have the same looking car in these two categories.
  2. A thoughtfully written brief and crisp report. Well done Gurjinder. & Many thanks for this.*
    I definetely am of the opinion that getting the top features to the next lower variant is a good move, making it more vfm with minimal price change.*
    At the same time IMHO rain sensing wipers and auto head lamps were not a much needed feature. Atleast i would personally like it to be in my control and when I want it. The viper part is particularly similar to the same annoyance one will have when he accidently have it switched on because of a wrong hand touch. Again IMHO.*Just that makes it a segment first feature *(like cruise control in the new fiesta)
    The GC increase is a brainy and brave move by Fiat and if it does come with minimal/ nil effect on its dynamics (to be tested to prove it) it is icing on the cake. Auto folding RVM and indicators on them would have made it look and feel more upmarket.*
    Adding Tjet to Punto has always been first in my wishlist. Sad it didnt materialise. Both Linea and Punto badly need it to fight it out with the 1.6 rivals.*
    Now comes the next testin part- how much impact can the commercials play. I never felt it was a top ad spender (as they put it in paper) ComeOn fiat, we need to see more and more beautiful ads from YOU. Really !! That people talks about it again and again. *
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks for the kind words!

As for the wipers, they will come on automatically ONLY if we select the AUTO option. Otherwise they will function just like normal wipers. :)

I'm sure there will be a similar setting for the headlights too. Cannot confirm it for the headlights at the moment.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Roy, at the moment the topmost Linea Emotion is 9,18,000 ex showroom delhi. The Vento tdi is 9,84,xxx , Verna SX Opt is 10,xx,xxx , Fiesta Titanium+ is also 10,xx,xxx+

So, if FIAT want, they can give the Linea the 1.6 and price it BANG into this territory. And throw in some more features exclusive to the 1.6 Linea. We can't say it'll be overpriced. These other cars are selling like guaranteed lottery tickets at this price.

The issue seems to be something else. That FIAT might have to share the engine with TATA. That seems like the dealbreaker on the 1.6.

Cheers.

EDIT - A live example of the need of the 1.6 in the Linea. I was showing my brother in law pics of the 2012 Linea. He is interested to purchase a sedan in this very segment. He appreciated the looks, the oceanic blue color etc, and when it came to the engine, he said it has ONLY a 1.3 ??? :confused: He knows the engine performs well on the open road, but is wary of committing to a 1.3 engine in a sedan, when 1.6's are widely available. Mr Kapoor, are you reading?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    nice frank n crisp review of launch. your "on the spot" update was also really good.

though it feels disappointing to hear 1.6 not being launched, seems like i have to settle down for the current linea.

Gurji..a great way to start the year, wishing you a great year ahead. expecting lots of valuable information and feed back during the journey ahead.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

I, too, agree this could be the reason for 1.6 not being introduced. May be they would try to bring once they are on their own.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Excellent report gurjinder. I think you've read FIAT top brass mind very well, The very reason T-Jet is still imported rings bell to me. If the T-Jet is assembled locally ala MJD it would have to get into Tata's engine bay as well providing no differentiation across products.

Think people on forum will appreciate Fiat's move, they are not aiming to become No.1 overnight, but taking baby steps with their limited freedom they have and everything seems right. Fix the Sales & Service first and then bring in next Products, seems like a right approach to me at least.
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    See it in the flesh also. To me, with the raised stance and 16" wheels, it looked much more muscular and tougher. More ready to take on the Indian roads than ever. No more vulnerability to very large ( i write very large speed bumps because others weren't a problem even earlier) speed bumps, and undulations when travelling at high speeds.

But, looks are subjective, and beauty lies in the eyes of the ''desmodronic'' key holder!

Cheers.
    4 people like this.
  7. WOW.. its wonderful to see.. Fiat changing :)
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Could not agree more with Ramesh. Toyota is selling a box with a good engine in the name Liva and it is selling like hot cakes. In india past reputation matters a lot.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yeah you are right.. that clause is definitely a P.I.A. :evil:
  10. Thanks Paaji for the unbiased and wonderful report.You are good in writing reports too :) .

Of all the modifications that they have made in the new version , it would have been great if they had provided leather seats for top variant in punto too .

Now the next report all the FIAT lovers are waiting for is the Test Drive Report.