1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI blocked at work.... what now?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Shadowfax, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Personally I feel a door ought to open both ways. If I put in long hours and weekends to meet customer commitments, the company ought to allow downtime during slow periods. A text forum is not a bandwidth heavy site. Bandwidth is what costs the company money directly and affects other legitimate users on the same pipes. Of course if the internet usage policy needs to be implemented strictly, then it also means a strict 40 hour work week irrespective of deadlines. Any slippages will need to be replanned and nobody in the team will feel motivated to go beyond what is expected of them. This is my opinion is a larger productivity nightmare during a live project than lacking productivity during no projects.

Just my 2p.
  2. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    Exactly Fastlove!!
    I wish to start a tyre/alloy wheels shop in near future as i am super frustrated with job.
    I hope gurus of the forum will be happy to help me :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Warning - Lengthy post. Almost sounds like a sermon. Sorry

I apologize if I am misunderstanding, but your posts seem to contradict each other. On the one hand you want to have a technical discussion to find a way to work around the restriction that has been imposed, on the other you are saying you do not want to break company policies.

I am sure you are a technical person and surely know a lot of things around technology. Posting anyway for the benefit of members who may not be as technically sound:

1. Any corporate that has a firewall in place and also has content filtering capabilities, will block proxies
    2. Even if they fail to do so, the proxy will only mask your enterprise gateway IP from the external world. It will not mask your internal IP from your firewall
    3. Any enterprise worth its salt will have a central AV server to keep the AV software up-to-date and will not allow individual clients to update AV software
    4. To establish an encrypted tunnel between any network client and an external client, one has to go through the corporate firewall
    5. While the network team may not actually be able to see what is happening in the tunnel, they can see the tunnel nevertheless
    6. Any encrypted tunnel that was not setup by the IT team and was not approved, will raise a red flag
    7. An attempt to setup an encrypted tunnel is a sure fire way of drawing attention to oneself

This being an automotive forum, let me try to explain with an analogy that all of us understand:

You are the car owner and have given the car for service.

Thought flow of a car mechanic:

1. I know this car does not belong to me and is given to me in good faith
    2. I know that I am damn good at my work and the company needs me
    3. There are not too many cars for service today
    4. I really have nothing much to do on my hands right now
    5. I know, my boss wants me to learn the new features of the latest model, but I believe in learning by doing
    6. Anyway this one car I was working on is complete and the owner is not expecting delivery for another six hours
    7. So what is the harm in picking my girlfriend up and going for a spin in the town
    8. The owner might notice the ODO, so let me disconnect it
    9. As long as I dont crash and no one knows about it, it should be fine, right?

If you feel this is acceptable, then I totally agree with the justification to browse forums in the office. Lets see if the analogy is correct

Thought flow of a knowledge worker:

1. I know these resources do not belong to me and is given to me in good faith
    2. I know that I am damn good at my work and the company needs me
    3. There is not too much work to do today
    4. I really have nothing much to do on my hands right now
    5. I know, my boss wants me to learn the new features of the latest technology, but I believe in learning by doing
    6. Anyway this one deliverable I was working on is complete and the client is not expecting delivery for another six hours
    7. So what is the harm in pinging my friends on facebook, playing farmville and browsing auto forums?
    8. The IT team might notice the traffic, so let me mask it by some proxy software
    9. As long as I dont download a virus and no one knows about it, it should be fine, right?

I don't see how the first is unethical, condemnable and the guy has to be taken to task, fired, the company dragged across piles of crap all over the place, but the second is perfectly acceptable and as a matter of fact should be encouraged. Cross your heart and tell me, does it really sound fair?

As Amogh rightly put it - "With freedom, comes responsibilty." Neither my company, nor me believe in policing the staff or imposing suffocating restrictions and as a practice, ignore minor misdemeanors. Having said that, when things go beyond a certain point, then it becomes necessary to take action, before the situation gets out of hand.

If the mechanic above, were to pick his girlfriend up and go for a spin in the town, in his own car, that would be perfectly acceptable. Likewise, if one were to do their virtual thing using their smartphones, that would be perfectly acceptable too. Of course, both activities have to be in moderation.

I am sure all of us will progress from one side of the fence to the other in due course and will get a view from the other side. I wish to emphasize, that for the knowledge industry, Intellectual Property is the primary asset and all these restrictions are imposed and revised from time to time with one and only one focus - to prevent external intrusion. The primary objective is not to prevent employees from accessing the outside world. That is just a side effect.

This is similar to us locking the doors of our house in the night. The objective is not to prevent our family from going out, but to ensure that unwanted elements do not wander in and cause us collective damage.

I rest my case M'Lord.

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    4 people like this.
  4. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Alright! Enough of this guys!! Got to know few people here are CEO/GM/MD of some IT company where as some are the normal employs. The real reason Shadowfax opened this thread was just to see if there are any other fellow members who are facing same scenario that's it!!!
    This is the hang-out section not Firing section. More than a hang-out this thread sounds like a lawsuit case between two IT applicants. We will surely open a thread where we will drive a court season within these two parties:evilsmile. Even i would like to see who wins the case!:confused

But till then please stop being :eek:fftopic
    Cheers!
    3 people like this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @Rajan,
    Rightly said from the owners perspective. Also from other end (normal employees) we need to be aware of what we are doing and how much we are doing.

@Tron,
    Yep rightly said. I second that.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Hey tron you have voiced my concerns very politely.. thanks
    Even i was listening to the previous post via B&M and wondering where the discussion is headead towards....
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sorry Shadowfax. I did not think of it as OT. For example, when someone posts that they want to upsize to 17 inchers, as a discussion forum, some recommend brands, some strongly advice against the idea. The posts advising against the idea is not considered OT.

You already found the best way to access the forum from work - from your phone. Maybe, had I posted 10 different ways to circumvent your firewall and access the forum from work, that would not have been considered OT.

Please do what you need to do.

Rajan

@MODS - Please delete all my posts on this thread that Shadowfax considers OT.
    1 person likes this.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I believe we have had an engaging debate on the thread topic , from multiple viewpoints.

Closing the thread here.

Thanks.
    5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.