1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TFI blocked at work.... what now?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Shadowfax, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Linea 1.4
    This is a cue to all to be entrepreneurs . Having your own business and your own time to browse your favorite forum. :cool:
    I m sure TFI can produce some great entrepreneurs :p
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan, before this post, I was also of view that you are also a sick manager/director who want to authority to fire an employee:mad:.

But above post is totally different, I agree, you did right.

I log-in to TFI whole day from office, there is no restriction from my office. It doesn't mean it is affecting my work. Work is first priority, but no one can work continuously in office, specially in IT, all need sometime to refresh. One need to make their own judgement rather than told by somebody else, till he/she is performing his/her duty, what is expected in office.
  3. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

And there lies the rub. Everybody has their own definition of "limits" and therefore they need to be supervised until the supervisor is satisfied the expected limits are adhered to. Of course if there is absolutely nothing to do at work (it happens), then it is a different matter.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

That is exactly where the problem lies. Assume you are on bench. The management expects you to do some self learning.

Your perception:

It is boring and you are not able to learn anything. So, you feel it is absolutely OK to spend some of your time by doing what you like to do, though it has nothing to do with your work. You then get onto your favourite forum / social networking site / online trading site and start doing what you really enjoy doing. You feel it is fine. You after all did a great job with your previous project and you know for a fact that you will deliver top notch quality stuff in your next project as well. Add to that the fact that you are on bench is not your fault. The management failed to find a suitable project for you, right?

Your colleague's perception:

I am breaking my head over this break fix. I know this guy is better than me in this technology. Can he not come forward to help me? Does he have to sit there all day doing nothing productive, excepting drooling at stupid cars? He gets paid as much as I do, if not more. So, why am I slogging it off, while he is having all the fun? Man, I hate this job.

Management's perception:

This guy is good. I know he is on bench, but I want to retain him. I know it is hard to find someone like him, when I land the next project, which is just round the corner. Why does he not realize this? Why is it that he has to do all this weird stuff and demotivate people around him? I would very much love to let him stay at home and do his stuff, but then he will lose the bonding with the company and will start looking for other opportunities. Why does he not realize that he is on a self destructive path?

You decide whose perception is right. Please do put yourself in each of the roles and think.

1 person likes this.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Going OT or probably is not.

The restrictions over accessing internet is quite draconian in some work places. I have been through organizations where almost everything is blocked. I would say that is simply ridiculous. I can understand about social media but news papers, blogs, and on top of that some key words.

These days many organizations understand the importance of social media and effective engagement on the web and are quite free. When i was shifting from my last company, where there weren't any such restrictions, i particularly looked out for organizations where these kind of ridiculous restrictions are not there.

It was not an effort to find a comfortable place where i can browse away to glory but i was searching for a place where i could strike a balance between work and what other interests i have and carry it out in such a manner it doesn't negatively impact my work.

The fact is that there are organizations that do not nitpick in such areas and allow you to work.

I feel silly when i look back at organizations that did all these stunts. I have been at the end of call ups to the super-manager's cabin for over utilizing the band width and sorts. Some queasy fellas threatening me to throw out!

Come on.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Each person is right when he looks at it from his own view point.

Its like i am telling a glass is half filled with water and you are telling its half empty.

Now lets look at this with a different viewpoint.

The person who uses internet bandwidth just to browse non official but a decent site. :- I have worked my ass off for the previous project. So what if i sit on a particular site that interests me for some time. I have already read and studied all the books my management has asked me to.:D

The managers perception.

I trust my employees i really feel that they love their work and office & i am sure that i pay them well. I dont need to call them to office just so that i can save attrition when they can spend some time with their family members more now that hes temporarily on bench.

The colleagues perception

I know the guy on bench is better in this than me and if he will help me IF I APPROACH HIM. But let me keep it as a last resort and try it out myself first. After all kab tak doosron ke sahaare jiyoonga.

Wouldnt this be a workplace u would like to work in?

And why fire someone even if its after repeated warnings when the defenitive community could have easily been blocked in click of a mouse?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  7. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

You are right and thats what patchboy is trying to say. Tfi is blocked at your workplace and that means you are being monitored. So he wants you to be careful and not to face unwanted trouble.
    If you have been working in an office with the above scenario given by you they would not have blocked tfi.Would they?
    With the IT security policies becoming more strict its better to be on the safer side. :)

tasting the Italian delight!
  8. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Firing an employee due to abuse of freedom is a far better approach than blocking of websites.

Employees need to understand that with freedom comes responsibility.
    3 people like this.
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Amit, Why are you hitting Fiat where it hits the most - Sales! You know how most people in India are. Bad news travels faster then the speed of light here. The moment he says he has a Fiat car and has issues for which he needs help, the people he tells this to will never consider a Fiat ever. They will also tell another 10 people about this, that to mirch masala laga ke, and each of those 10 people will tell another 10 and the chain will continue!

I guess shadowfax just wanted to know if there is a work around to this. Like many here, I too believe, that he is under scanner and the best thing to do would be to lie low for sometime.

PS: Haven't gone through the whole thread as of now.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

1).This thread was started as started for a real different purpose (TECHNICAL DISCUSSION) than to actually try to break company policies.

2) TFI is not blocked because of my usage or me being monitored. TFI falls under a section called personal cars. Which got blocked cause of defenitive car comnunity

3) If i would have been really that interested to break company policy and access sites which are blocked. I can always send packets to my home machine on an encrypted tunnel and redirect it to wherever i want and vice versa. When the IT team looks at it all they will see is antivirus getting updated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.