1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Test Drive & Review: FIAT Grande Punto-90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by sharma_sanjeevin, Jul 17, 2010.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    :eek:fftopic Adding a few more OT snippets about the great Indian automobile market, although positive ones!
    * Where a car is treated like a family member and kept for decades
    * Where a car is literally worshipped like a god [or goddess] during festivals
    * Where people cry when they sell their car to others
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ::D But when it comes to Fiat owners all are emotionally attached and cant stand a bit of criticism.
    Anyways, I managed a test drive of the 90HP most powerful hatch on Indian road. Start of the engine is smoother and idling is more quite inside. Did not find any magic in the 1st and 2nd gears, as usual useless. 3rd onwards it flies like the 75HP but the turbo kick-in is not as evident as it is in the 75HP, seems more linear. The engine growl (which I like so much for the race-like feel) is not to be heard. The engine doesn't feel as strained as the 75HP at 120km and there is some amount of free revving at high rpm. For me the red stitched seat is not as appealing as the older one (subjective). Dil mange more? This gives more. :up.

FYI : I have been in 98BHP Pete-ed + Cone filter-ed + rally brake-ed + rally shock-ed + rally tyre-ed GP which left my hairs raised, I could not get that feel in this 90HP. This machine can do more, give me more!! :redcar
  3. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    To be honest i didnt find much diff in the plastic quality in the 90HP....
  4. infernal

infernal

Gurgaon
    hey,

very nice review mate
    just have one query, has fiat changed only the turgocharger,i.e. from fgt to vgt or is it an entirely different engine??? if its only a turbo ugrade, its not worth paying an extra 50k
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes Andy there is no difference in the plastics just that now the dash comes covered with plastic sheets which adds more trouble when one cannot remove the plastic cover properly and small bits get stuck here and there.
    mm - FGT and VGT - VGT is prone to failure when Peted due to so many parameters which was mentioned in TBHP and it costs 2 or 3 times the FGT. FGT cost something around 50-70k according to that post. So we can expect atleast 100k for VGT. Better to go for Petes. And if we are thinking about warranty here I think nobody faced any failures in 2-3 years of Peted runs. So warranty will be expired anyway.
  6. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Thanks Infernal, to answer your question, it is the same block as it is in the FGT version, but all the similarities end there itself. The VGT Engine has a different/ modified Intake manifolds, a Variable Geometry Turbo instead of a Fixed Geometry Turbo, Engine mountings are modified, Gear Ratios are different from the FGT Version & last not the least, the modifications to the ECU.

Regarding the Extra 50K are concerned, it is solely dependent on your requirement, if you want a Technologically Advanced, Excellent Mid Range & Top End performance and a Fantastic highway Cruiser, you cant go wrong with the 90 HP Version.
    However, if you are not a performance oriented guy, and mostly drive sedately, the FGT version makes more sense. If i would have been in search of a Diesel Hatchback, i will definitely go with the 90 HP in my view the extra 50K are worth every penny you spend it is the BEST VFM hatch loaded up to the brim available Currently. But at the end of the day it is you and requirement from a car that will decide upon which version to go for.

Hope this answers your query, if you have some other query, do let us know.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Sanjeev, stop giving all this gyan. For someone who is going to buy a Punto scale model, this gyan is too difficult to accept! ::V
  8. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    :lol Amit Bhai you are Awesome Man..!!

As we discussed, i am just waiting for my Current Company Car Lease tenure to end. Then i will sell off my current car & FIAT has a definite customer with it, that is me. Just that i am confused, as to go for a Linea or Punto :)

The Scale model will satisfy my desire to have a Punto & Linea till the time i own one :). FYI, i already have a scale model (Flamenco Red) Linea & Punto is what i am looking for as a scale model.
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Sanjeev, when will that happen? Mods, please note that Sanjeev has a Dzire!!! Just the fact that you bought this contraption makes you liable to get banned asap! :boxer
  10. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    :lol :lol Amit bhai, that is for sure going to end in March-2011. I will be a Proud FIAT Owner in April-2011.

Mods please spare me from being banned :lol